Integrating until symmetric bilinear form

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quick methods for integrating vector forms without breaking them down into component-wise integration. The question also asks for steps to ensure a symmetric bilinear form and how to evaluate the boundary terms. The attempt at a solution involves using integration by parts and a proposed solution, but the correct form is not confirmed. The speaker also expresses frustration with not receiving answers to their questions in this particular area of material, which is a blend of math, engineering, and computation.
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

I am looking for some quick methods to integrate while leaving each step in its vector form without drilling down into component-wise integration, and I am wondering whether it is possible here.

Suppose I have a square domain over which I am integrating two functions w and v. Using integration by parts, what steps can I use to ensure that I end up with a symmetric blinear form + boundary terms?

Homework Equations

##\exists## a region ##\Omega## enclosed by ##\Gamma## and on ##\Omega## $$\int_\Omega{Tv\nabla^2 w d\Omega}=\int_\Omega{v p(x,y) d\Omega}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Using integration by parts, whereby I feel as if I am completely guessing here:
$$T\left[v\nabla w\right]_\Gamma-T\int_\Omega{\nabla v \cdot \nabla w dV} = \int_\Omega{v p(x,y) d\Omega}$$

Is this the correct symmetric bilinear form that I am looking for? How would that simplified boundary term expression be evaluated explicitly?

Unfortunately not. I have come to the conclusion that there is no one here who knows this particular material. It is a blend of math and engineering and computation. I will update the threads with solutions once I find them. I eventually do, but I have never gotten a single question of this area of material answered on these forums, which is a first.

Related to Integrating until symmetric bilinear form

1. What is a symmetric bilinear form?

A symmetric bilinear form is a mathematical function that takes in two inputs and returns a scalar value. It is called symmetric because it satisfies the property that switching the inputs does not change the output. In other words, the function is unchanged if the inputs are swapped.

2. How is a symmetric bilinear form integrated?

To integrate a symmetric bilinear form, we first need to determine its integrand, which is a function that takes in the same inputs as the bilinear form but returns a new function. This new function is then integrated over a specified range to obtain a scalar value as the final result.

3. What is the purpose of integrating a symmetric bilinear form?

The integration of a symmetric bilinear form allows us to calculate the area under a curve or the volume under a surface defined by the form. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the bilinear form represents a physical property or a cost function.

4. What are the applications of integrating a symmetric bilinear form?

Integrating a symmetric bilinear form has many applications, including calculating the work done in a physical system, finding the center of mass of an object, determining the moment of inertia of a body, and solving optimization problems in economics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to integrating a symmetric bilinear form?

Yes, there are some limitations to integrating a symmetric bilinear form. One limitation is that the form must be well-behaved and continuous over the specified range for the integration to be accurate. Additionally, some forms may be difficult or impossible to integrate analytically, requiring numerical methods instead.