Integration and log of a complex number

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the answer to a given integral, but the method used to solve it is unclear. The use of complex logarithms is mentioned but deemed ambiguous. It is suggested to use a substitution and the residue theorem to solve the integral, which results in the answer of 2pi i. The conversation also mentions using Cauchy's integral theorem to obtain the answer of 6pi i, but this method is not preferred due to the simplicity of the integral.
Daniiel
Hey,

I know the answer to this integral is 2ipi as it was given but I trying to find out how its 2ipi.

Here is my working

[PLAIN]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1681/unledrny.jpg

I've been looking at this for ages and I can't work out what I've done wrong

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The complex logarithm is ambiguous (as you have already found out) and therefore not always suitable. I would check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_logarithm#Constructing_branches_via_integration very carefully, I'm not sure if you can actually use the logarithm here.
You can always substitute [itex]u=e^{it}[/itex].
What will you get as an expression then?
What will be the integration path?
Can you spot a singularity? Calculate its residue and you're done :)

If I change variables to u = e^(it) will i get,

du/dt = ie^(it), so dt=1/(ie^(it)

so int (2u/(2u-1))e^(-it) du, this is where I am going to stuff up alot, i did it two ways, since u =e^(it) they cancel, so you get in int (2/(2u-1)) du then that integral ends up as the nasty log in it again so then i tried
leaving the e^(it)
and i got the nasty log thing + u - 1/2

I've been looking over my notes and the only stuff about logs he has given use is that log(z)=log|z| + i arg(z), i tried in mathematica and wolframalpha seperately and they gave different answers haha, wolfram gave 2ipi thought

Forget logarithm! I mean, I can't really tell you why, but maybe someone else can.

So, let's go through it
[tex]
\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}-1} dt
[/tex]
[tex] u=e^{it}[/tex]
[tex] du = i e^{it} dt [/tex]
So the integral becomes
[tex] \int_S \frac{2}{2u -1} du [/tex]
where you integrate over the unit circle.
Now, the function has a simple pole at u=1/2. Now calculate the residue of this point and you will get that it's 1. Apply the residue theorem and you will get that the value of the integral is 2 pi i.

Oh right,

Sorry this is the first time I've every read about residue or the residue theorem.

This question was actually a question that's really easy to answer with cauchy's integral theorem, but they asked to do it without using it, I know the answer to the question is 6ipi using CIF and i end up with 3[log(ew)] between 0..2Pi

its just integrating (z^2+z+1)/(z-1) dz over a circle of radius 2, so like 1 step using the cauchy integral formula haha

What I've done is used long division, found most things cancel and end up with the 3log buisness

1. What is integration of a complex number?

Integration of a complex number involves finding the antiderivative of a complex function. It is similar to integration of real-valued functions, but it takes into account the complex components of the function.

2. How do you integrate a complex number?

To integrate a complex number, you can use the same techniques as for real-valued functions, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fraction decomposition. However, you must also consider the complex components and their relationship to the real part of the function.

3. What is the logarithm of a complex number?

The logarithm of a complex number is a mathematical operation that gives the exponent to which a given base (typically the number "e") must be raised to obtain a complex number. It is written as logb(z) = w, where b is the base, z is the complex number, and w is the exponent.

4. How do you calculate the logarithm of a complex number?

To calculate the logarithm of a complex number, you can use the formula log(z) = ln|z| + iarg(z), where ln|z| represents the natural logarithm of the absolute value of the complex number and arg(z) represents the argument or angle of the complex number in the complex plane.

5. Can a complex number have multiple logarithms?

Yes, a complex number can have multiple logarithms. This is because there are an infinite number of complex numbers that can satisfy the equation log(z) = w. These complex numbers are known as the branches of the logarithm function.