What is the Angular Velocity of a Point Moving in a Circular Path?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about angular velocity and its relation to linear velocity. The given information includes a diagram and the equation v = r' \hat{r} + r*θ' (^θ). The participants discuss their attempts at solving the question, including a discrepancy with the given answer. The expert suggests checking the book for the correct answer and mentions that the sign of the velocity may be incorrect, leading to a smaller angle θ.
Sheen91

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2066/question3.jpg

Homework Equations

v = r' [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] + r*θ' (^θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was sure I knew how to do this question but made a mistake somewhere, because my answer is not right. So here is my working out.

l r' l = 11mm/s
Θ' = ?
r = 78mm

Looking at the question above.

[PLAIN]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8729/lolbo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The angular velocity is usually given in radian/s. Check the answer in your book. Otherwise your result looks OK.

ehild

There are two answer rads/s and degs/s, both are not the same as my answer.

I definitely did something wrong.

The sign can be wrong. The velocity shown makes the angle θ smaller.

ehild

1. What is angular velocity and how is it different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is different from linear velocity, which measures the speed of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in the angle by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for angular velocity?

The unit of measurement for angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s). This unit represents the amount of angle an object rotates through in one second.

4. How does angular velocity relate to rotational motion?

Angular velocity is a key component of rotational motion. It represents the speed at which an object is rotating around an axis. It is also used to calculate other important quantities in rotational motion, such as angular acceleration and tangential velocity.

5. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. In other words, the object is rotating clockwise instead of counterclockwise or vice versa.