Integration by Parts: Solving ∫cosx(lnsinx)dx

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for solving the integral of cosx(lnsinx)dx using integration by parts. The student initially used u-substitution with u=lnsinx and was told by their teacher to use u=sinx instead. However, the student's method was correct as u=sinx would not work for integration by parts. The conversation also mentions that u-substitution can be used, but it leads to a more complicated solution.
jdawg

Homework Statement

∫cosx(lnsinx)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u=lnsinx dv=cosxdx
du=cosx/sinx dx v=sinx

=(lnsinx)(sinx)-∫(sinx)(cosx/sinx)dx
=(lnsinx)(sinx)-(sinx)+C

I thought that I did this correctly, but my teacher said that u should equal sinx. Why would u not equal lnsinx?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you differentiate, you get the original function, so you did it correctly. I think your teacher was saying u should equal sinx if you're doing a simple u-sub to integrate, since that method works as well. You couldn't have u be sinx for an integration by parts, since it isn't a complete term in the integrand -- it's only part of the natural log.

jdawg said:

Homework Statement

∫cosx(lnsinx)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u=lnsinx dv=cosxdx
du=cosx/sinx dx v=sinx

=(lnsinx)(sinx)-∫(sinx)(cosx/sinx)dx
=(lnsinx)(sinx)-(sinx)+C

I thought that I did this correctly, but my teacher said that u should equal sinx. Why would u not equal lnsinx?

You did do it correctly. I think your teacher might be suggesting you do a u-substitution first and then integrate log(u) by parts. I think that's actually a little more complicated, not easier.

jackarms said:
If you differentiate, you get the original function, so you did it correctly. I think your teacher was saying u should equal sinx if you're doing a simple u-sub to integrate, since that method works as well. You couldn't have u be sinx for an integration by parts, since it isn't a complete term in the integrand -- it's only part of the natural log.

Ohh ok! I didn't know you could use u substitution on that one. Thanks for clearing that up :)

jdawg said:
Ohh ok! I didn't know you could use u substitution on that one. Thanks for clearing that up :)

You can do a u substitution, but then you are left with log(u), which you then need to integrate by parts. Unless you've memorized the integral of log(u). I think your way is better.

1. What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a method of integration used to solve integrals that involve the product of two functions. It involves breaking down the integral into simpler parts and using a formula to solve it.

2. How do you use Integration by Parts to solve an integral?

To use Integration by Parts, you must first identify the two functions in the integral and assign one as "u" and the other as "dv". Then, you can use the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve the integral.

3. What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This formula is derived from the product rule in calculus.

4. How do you choose which function to assign as "u" and "dv"?

When choosing which function to assign as "u", it is helpful to follow the acronym "LIATE" which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential. The function that appears first in this list is typically chosen as "u". The other function is then assigned as "dv".

5. Can you give an example of solving an integral using Integration by Parts?

Sure. Let's solve the integral ∫xsinx dx using Integration by Parts. First, we assign "u" as the algebraic function x, and "dv" as the trigonometric function sinx. Then, we can use the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This gives us: xcosx - ∫cosx dx. We can then use the integral of cosx to solve this, giving us the final answer of xcosx + sinx + C.