Integration by parts/substitution

• Thread starter Nick Jarvis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the person trying to integrate ∫xn ex found that they got the incorrect expression because they omitted the dx. They then worked out the bounds of the integral and found that it was equal to -e-xB + c.
Nick Jarvis
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hi. I think I jumped too eagerly into my latest module, as I am positive it makes many assumptions on previous experience. I am obviously lacking.

I have created a question in Word, but the equations don;t appear to be copying into this thread. So I have uploaded question instead. If this is against the rules please let me know, and I will attempt to re-create the equations here instead.

The question involves integration of ∫x(^(a-1)) e(^(-bx)) dx - and I have shown in the word doc what I think I need to do. However, the final answer is:

Γ(a)/ba

Which I know I won;t get from integration, but my answer should relate to this answer, using one of the distribution methods.

Many thanks

Attachments

• stats help.docx
    13.2 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Make life easy for yourself and study how to apply partial integration on ##\displaystyle \int_0^\infty x^n e^{-x} dx##

(and yes, the Gamma function is involved)

Likes Nick Jarvis
Thanks BvU, will take a look this evening.

ok. I have integrated ∫xn ex using parts and I get:

xn ex - ∫exnxn-1 this equates (I hope) to:

ex(xn - nxn-1) this can be simplified obvs. Is this correct?

Thanks

However, if I have ∫BxB-1 e-xB dx, can I not integrate by substitution?

Let u = xB so du = BxB-1dx which gives:

∫e-udu and therefore the answer is -e-xB + c

I know that is not correct, but I thought I could integrate by either substitution OR parts? This integration is key to me understanding stats/probability, but it has been many years since I have integrated.

Just looked again, and I know that ∫BxB-1 = xB, but how do I incorporate that into it when I also have exB

Many thanks

Nick Jarvis said:
and I get: xn ex - ∫exnxn-1 dx
correct so far.
this equates (I hope) to: ex(xn - nxn-1)
Your hope is in vain. You can not just make an ##\displaystyle\int## sign disappear !

Do not confuse yourself by omitting the ##dx##.

What are the bounds of the integral ? What did you do with them ? What is the meaning of the (correct) expression you got from integration by parts ? ##\quad## [edit] of the wrong expression ##xe^x## instead of ##xe^{-x}## :smile:

Likes Nick Jarvis
Oops, I overlooked that you overlooked the minus sign in ##e^{-x}##. Try again !

Likes Nick Jarvis
Apologies. Have spoken also to my tutor and I have now worked it out. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated :)

Likes BvU

1. What is the difference between integration by parts and substitution?

Integration by parts and substitution are two different methods used to evaluate integrals. In integration by parts, the integral is rewritten as a product of two functions and then solved using the product rule of differentiation. In substitution, a new variable is introduced to simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate. Both methods have their own advantages and are used in different situations.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, one of which can be easily differentiated. This method is also useful when the integral involves a function that can be integrated multiple times.

3. How do I choose which function to differentiate and which to integrate in integration by parts?

In integration by parts, the general rule is to choose the function that becomes simpler when differentiated and the function that becomes simpler when integrated. This will usually involve choosing a function that contains a polynomial or exponential term as the function to differentiate.

4. Can I use both integration by parts and substitution in the same integral?

Yes, it is possible to use both integration by parts and substitution in the same integral. This is known as the integration by parts with substitution method and is useful for evaluating more complex integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration by parts?

While integration by parts is a useful method for evaluating integrals, it does have its limitations. It may not work for all types of integrals, and sometimes it may require multiple iterations to solve the integral completely. Additionally, integration by parts may not always result in a simpler integral, making it more difficult to evaluate.