Integration by trigonometric change of variable

In summary, you are trying to solve an equation by using the substitution x = asin\theta, but you are making mistakes. You are also trying to solve the equation y = a\int\cos\theta, but this is also not correct.
MMM

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve ##\int\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}##
by using the substitution ##x = asin\theta##

Homework Equations

##x = asin\theta

The Attempt at a Solution

##y = \int\sqrt{a^2 - a^2cos^2\theta}##
##y = a\int\cos\theta##
##y = a^2\int\cos(\theta)^2##
##y = (a^2)/2 * \int1+cos2\theta##
##y = a^2/2 + a^2/4 * sin2\theta\ + C##
##\theta = arcsin(x/a)##
##a^2/2 * arcsin(x/a) + a^2/2 * sin\theta\cos\theta\ + C## Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The answer in the book is ##(a^2/2) * arcsin(x/a) + (x/2) * \sqrt{a^2 - x^2} + C##

EDIT: I figured it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MMM said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##x = asin\theta

##y = a\int\cos\theta##
##\theta = arcsin(x/a)##
##a^2/2 * arcsin(x/a) + a^2/2 * sin\theta\cos\theta\ + C## Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The answer in the book is ##(a^2/2) * arcsin(x/a) + (x/2) * \sqrt{a^2 - x^2} + C##

You have some crazy algebra happening there. You are not ready for tests or exams yet because your working out is incorrect. It must be neat and each statement must follow from the previous one. For example, this is meaningless: ##y = a \int cos\theta##, that is not how an integral is written.

MMM said:

Homework Statement

You have started off by copying the problem wrong. It should be ##\int\sqrt{a^2- x^2}dx##
Do you see the difference?

Homework Equations

##x = asin\theta

Same mistake as before.

##y = a\int\cos\theta##
I have not idea where you got this, [tex]\sqrt{a^2- a^2 cos(\theta)} is NOT equal to "[itex]a cos(\theta)[/itex]"

And this is definitely not equal to the previous line!

##\theta = arcsin(x/a)##

Related to Integration by trigonometric change of variable

1. What is integration by trigonometric change of variable?

Integration by trigonometric change of variable is a method used to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral, which can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

2. When is integration by trigonometric change of variable used?

This method is often used when the integral involves trigonometric functions and the substitution of a trigonometric function can simplify the problem. It is also useful when trying to evaluate integrals involving square roots or rational functions.

3. How do you choose the appropriate trigonometric function for substitution?

The appropriate trigonometric function for substitution is usually chosen based on the form of the integral. For example, if the integral contains a square root of a quadratic expression, the substitution of a trigonometric function can be used to eliminate the square root.

4. What are some common trigonometric substitutions used in integration?

Some common trigonometric substitutions used in integration are:

• Substitution of sin x or cos x for the variable when there is a sec x or csc x term in the integral.
  • Substitution of tan x or sec x for the variable when there is a tan2 x or sec2 x term in the integral.
  • Substitution of sec x or csc x for the variable when there is a sec x tan x or csc x cot x term in the integral.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by trigonometric change of variable?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using this method are:

• Forgetting to substitute the differential dx when substituting for the variable.
  • Using the wrong substitution or not choosing the most appropriate trigonometric function for substitution.
  • Forgetting to convert all terms in the integral to the substituted variable.
  • Not simplifying the integral after substitution, which can lead to more complex and difficult to solve integrals.