Integration method (Navier) calculating deflection

In summary, the problem was solved by reversing the sign of the first two terms in the moment equation.
Engineer_s

Homework Statement

A beam is given with a constant load. Calculate the deflection at the end of the beam. Use the integration method or method of navier with delta functions.

Homework Equations

See equations in my attached file.

The Attempt at a Solution

The red load you see on the drawing is to cancel out the upper force. Can anyone help me or say what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Scan 1.pdf
    583.6 KB · Views: 287
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what your sign convention is for moments. Standard for me is anticlockwise positive. That would make M1 positive and A1x negative. You have the two terms both positive.
I don't understand the presence of the fourth term, q(a-x) etc. You should only include moments coming from one side of the point x.

haruspex said:
Not sure what your sign convention is for moments. Standard for me is anticlockwise positive. That would make M1 positive and A1x negative. You have the two terms both positive.
I don't understand the presence of the fourth term, q(a-x) etc. You should only include moments coming from one side of the point x.

Thanks for your reply. The convention is added beside the drawing. Positive is anticlockwise for me.
M1 is negative but if you cut the beam at let say an distance x from the wall you'll have a moment equal to M1 but in the opposite direction to cancel M1 out and to reach an equilibrium?

q(x-a) is added to cancel out the q*x*x/2 because this last load will continue till the end of the beam but this is not the case. Therefore I had to add the same force in the opposite direction at (x-a) to cancel it out. (this represents the red part on the drawing.)

I hope my explanation is clear. Thanks in advance to help me with my problem.

Best regards

Engineer_s said:
Thanks for your reply. The convention is added beside the drawing. Positive is anticlockwise for me.
M1 is negative but if you cut the beam at let say an distance x from the wall you'll have a moment equal to M1 but in the opposite direction to cancel M1 out and to reach an equilibrium?

q(x-a) is added to cancel out the q*x*x/2 because this last load will continue till the end of the beam but this is not the case. Therefore I had to add the same force in the opposite direction at (x-a) to cancel it out. (this represents the red part on the drawing.)

I hope my explanation is clear. Thanks in advance to help me with my problem.

Best regards
ok, I understand about the (x-a) terms. I should have noticed the δ(x-a).

But you do have a sign error.
I am still confused by your sign convention because you drew the arrow circling clockwise, implying clockwise is positive. You also wrote all of the moments in the M(x) expression as clockwise positive, except the first one. So I am going to assume you are actually taking clockwise positive.
With that comvention, the moment expression is M1+A1x etc., where M1 = -qa2/2 and A1 is qa.
Whatever your convention the those first two terms should have opposite sign.

Yes, you are right. I made a mistake with my conventions. Look at my new PDF, that is the method I used. Normally the moment expression is now correct.
Do you agree with my method/calculation now or not? Thanks for your help.

Comment: I used a yellow remarker but it is hardly visible.

The file.

Attachments

• Scan 3.pdf
    483.8 KB · Views: 224
haruspex said:
ok, I understand about the (x-a) terms. I should have noticed the δ(x-a).

But you do have a sign error.
I am still confused by your sign convention because you drew the arrow circling clockwise, implying clockwise is positive. You also wrote all of the moments in the M(x) expression as clockwise positive, except the first one. So I am going to assume you are actually taking clockwise positive.
With that comvention, the moment expression is M1+A1x etc., where M1 = -qa2/2 and A1 is qa.
Whatever your convention the those first two terms should have opposite sign.

See the replies above. Sorry I forgot to quote you the first time.

Topic can be closed. Problem solved. Problem was my moment was positieve and it had to be negative. Thanks for your help.

1. What is the Navier integration method for calculating deflection?

The Navier integration method is a mathematical approach used to determine the deflection of a structure under a given load. It is named after Claude-Louis Navier, a French mathematician and engineer who developed the method in the 19th century.

2. How does the Navier integration method work?

The Navier integration method involves dividing a structure into small segments and calculating the deflection of each segment. These deflections are then summed up to determine the overall deflection of the structure. The method uses the principles of equilibrium and compatibility to determine the deflections at each segment.

3. What are the advantages of using the Navier integration method?

The Navier integration method is a simple and efficient way to calculate deflections in structures. It is applicable to a wide range of structures and can handle complex loading conditions. Additionally, it provides a more accurate solution compared to other methods such as the moment area method.

4. Are there any limitations of the Navier integration method?

While the Navier integration method is generally accurate, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the material of the structure is linearly elastic and that the deflections are small. It may also be time-consuming for large and complex structures.

5. How is the Navier integration method used in practical applications?

The Navier integration method is commonly used in structural analysis and design to determine the deflections of beams, frames, and other structures. It is also used in the design of bridges, buildings, and other civil engineering structures. With the advancement of technology, the method can now be easily implemented through computer software programs.