Integration Sign Error: TI-Nspire Solution

In summary, the BK did not provide an answer, but the TI-nspire calculator showed a solution with a negative sign. The conversation then discusses the use of the $-$ sign and how it affects the solution, concluding that the calculator's answer was correct. The speaker also notes that the misuse of the $\implies$ sign is common and does not make sense in certain contexts.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
View attachment 2106

the bk did not give an answer for this but my TI-nspire gave what is shown,
however I don't know where the - sign (see red arrow) comes from. I looked at the steps given in W|A but thot all the substitution was not needed to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. The $-$ sign should be a $+$. You can tell that the other answer is wrong, because $-\cos x - 1$ is negative and so will not even have a real logarithm.

ok think I see where I was blind on this

the calculator gave
$\displaystyle
\ln{\left(-\left(\cos{x}-1\right)\right))}
$
which if you distribute the \(\displaystyle -1\)
then \(\displaystyle \ln\left(-\cos(x)+1\right)\)
would be the answer

The misuse of the $\implies$ sign is common and makes no sense when writing things like $1+1\implies2.$ It's used when you already stated an equality and want to "imply" some consequence.

Related to Integration Sign Error: TI-Nspire Solution

What is integration sign error in TI-Nspire?

Integration sign error in TI-Nspire is an error that occurs when trying to solve an integration problem on the TI-Nspire calculator. It usually happens when the calculator is unable to find a solution or when the problem is too complex for the calculator to handle.

Why does integration sign error occur in TI-Nspire?

Integration sign error can occur due to several reasons, such as the function being too complex, the calculator running out of memory, or the function being undefined at certain points. It can also happen if the calculator is unable to find a solution within a given time limit.

How can I fix integration sign error in TI-Nspire?

If you encounter integration sign error on your TI-Nspire calculator, you can try simplifying the function or breaking it down into smaller parts. You can also try increasing the time limit for the calculator to find a solution or clearing the calculator's memory to free up space.

Is there a way to avoid integration sign error in TI-Nspire?

While it is not always possible to avoid integration sign error, you can try to minimize its chances by simplifying the function as much as possible before attempting to solve it on the calculator. You can also try using other methods of integration, such as substitution or integration by parts, to see if they yield a solution instead.

Can integration sign error affect the accuracy of my results on TI-Nspire?

Yes, integration sign error can affect the accuracy of your results on TI-Nspire. If the calculator is unable to find a solution, it may provide an approximation or an error message instead. This can lead to inaccurate results, so it is important to check for integration sign errors when using the calculator for integration problems.