Integration: When to multiply by one or add zero?

In summary, techniques such as multiplying by 1 or adding 0 are commonly used in calculus and algebra to simplify expressions and solve problems. Examples of these techniques can be found in textbooks and are often used in completing the square and finding the vertex of a parabola. These techniques can also be applied in calculus and other areas of mathematics, such as Laplace transforms. Using these techniques does not change the value of the expression being manipulated.
Batcher
I have seen several functions be integrated by multiplying by a form of one or by adding a form of zero. When is it advantageous do do one of these things? Are there any example problems (Calc I or II) in which I can try these techniques?

Physics news on Phys.org
Batcher said:
I have seen several functions be integrated by multiplying by a form of one or by adding a form of zero. When is it advantageous do do one of these things? Are there any example problems (Calc I or II) in which I can try these techniques?
Calculus and algebra textbooks have lots of examples of these techniques. A very simple example is the addition of 1/2 and 1/3.
##\frac 1 2 + \frac 1 3 = \frac 1 2 \frac 3 3 + \frac 1 3 \frac 2 2 = \frac 3 6 + \frac 2 6 = \frac 5 6##
In the second expression above, I multiplied 1 in the form of 3/3 and 2/2 to get common denominators. In more complicated problems, something similar is done so as to be able to combine fractions. You can always multiply by 1 without changing the value of the expression being multiplied.

A simple example of adding zero is in completing the square.
##y = x^2 + 4x = x^2 + 4x + (4 - 4) = x^2 + 4x + 4 - 4 = (x + 2)^2 - 4##
This example involves a function whose graph is a parabola. The second expression shows zero being added. Completing the square allows one to find the vertex of the parabola. Similar examples are done in calculus and subsequent areas of mathematics, such as Laplace transforms. You can always add zero to an expression without changing its value.

Likes FactChecker, jim mcnamara and Charles Link
Batcher said:
Could you give some examples. Your statement is too vague.

Likes FactChecker
@Mark44 's examples are very good. They are not really related to integration. Your question asks about integration. If you want an answer about integration then you will need to give examples.

Related to Integration: When to multiply by one or add zero?

1. What is the purpose of multiplying by one or adding zero in integration?

Multiplying by one or adding zero in integration is a technique used to simplify complex integrals. It allows us to manipulate the integrand in a way that makes it easier to integrate.

2. When should I use the method of multiplying by one or adding zero in integration?

This method is most useful when dealing with integrals involving fractions, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions. It can also be helpful when trying to evaluate improper integrals.

3. How does multiplying by one or adding zero change the integral?

Multiplying by one or adding zero does not change the value of the integral. It simply alters the form of the integrand, making it easier to integrate.

4. Can I use this method for all integrals?

No, this method is not applicable to all integrals. It is most useful for integrals involving certain types of functions, as mentioned in the answer to question 2.

5. Are there any other techniques for simplifying integrals?

Yes, there are several other techniques for simplifying integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to understand and practice various techniques in order to effectively solve integrals.