Intensity in double slit interference

In summary: Why not:The intensity is proportional to both E2 and E2/2 .The intensity of the incident light is I0= K E02. The intensity of the diffracted light is I=0.5K [2cos(δ/2)E0]2=0.5[2cos(δ/2)]2 KE02, that is I=2cos2(δ/2) I0.In summary, this conversation is about how to calculate the intensity of light over a screen. The first method states that the intensity is proportional to E*E, whilst the second method states that the intensity is proportional to E*E/2. However, the first method is the
physiks
I'm a little confused about a small detail when finding the intensity over the screen, as some notes I'm using happen to calculate the same thing twice, with a slight difference the second time.

Each method does the following
Call the electric field at any point E so we have
E=E0ei(kx1-wt)+E0ei(kx2-wt) with x1,x2 the paths from each of the two slits to a point on the screen.
Write each path in terms of a common path x starting midway between the slits, so x1 and x2 both have a path length difference of δ/2 relative to x. Let x1 be the shorter path.
Then x1=x-δ/2 and x2=x+δ/2, and
E=E0ei(kx-kδ/2-wt)+Eoei(kx+kδ/2-wt).
Factoring out the common terms gives
E=E0ei(kx-wt)[2cos(kδ/2)].

This is where this issue is. First it says that the intensity is proportional to E*E whilst later it says it is proportional to E*E/2.

This would give either
4E02cos2(kδ/2)->I=4I0cos2(kδ/2), or
2E02cos2(kδ/2)->I=2I0cos2(kδ/2).
Now the first of these is the expression I always see, so must be right.

I'm a little confused by this. I feel like I might be missing something with regards to time averaging the time varying term as in the E*E/2 method. Can somebody clear this up, thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physiks said:
Factoring out the common terms gives
E=E0ei(kx-wt)[2cos(kδ/2)].

This is where this issue is. First it says that the intensity is proportional to E*E whilst later it says it is proportional to E*E/2.

The intensity is proportional to both E2 and E2/2 .The intensity of the incident light is I0= K E02. The intensity of the diffracted light is I=K [2cos(δ/2)E0]2=[2cos(δ/2)]2 KE02, that is I=4cos2(δ/2) I0.

ehild

ehild said:
The intensity is proportional to both E2 and E2/2 .The intensity of the incident light is I0= K E02. The intensity of the diffracted light is I=K [2cos(δ/2)E0]2=[2cos(δ/2)]2 KE02, that is I=4cos2(δ/2) I0.

ehild

Why not:

The intensity is proportional to both E2 and E2/2 .The intensity of the incident light is I0= K E02. The intensity of the diffracted light is I=0.5K [2cos(δ/2)E0]2=0.5[2cos(δ/2)]2 KE02, that is I=2cos2(δ/2) I0.

physiks said:
Why not:

The intensity is proportional to both E2 and E2/2 .The intensity of the incident light is I0= K E02. The intensity of the diffracted light is I=0.5K [2cos(δ/2)E0]2=0.5[2cos(δ/2)]2 KE02, that is I=2cos2(δ/2) I0.

In that case, I0=0.5K E02. Be consistent.

ehild

physiks said:

This would give either
4E02cos2(kδ/2)->I=4I0cos2(kδ/2), or
2E02cos2(kδ/2)->I=2I0cos2(kδ/2).
Now the first of these is the expression I always see, so must be right.
In the second line, you replaced ##E_0^2## by ##I_0##, but it should be ##2(E_0^2/2) = 2 I_0##.

Related to Intensity in double slit interference

1. What is the definition of intensity in double slit interference?

Intensity in double slit interference is the measure of the brightness of the interference pattern created by two closely spaced slits. It is determined by the amplitude of the waves passing through the slits and the phase difference between them.

2. How is the intensity of the interference pattern affected by the distance between the two slits?

The intensity of the interference pattern is directly proportional to the number of slits, meaning that as the distance between the two slits increases, the intensity decreases. This is because with a larger distance, the waves from each slit are more spread out and do not overlap as much, resulting in a weaker interference pattern.

3. What factors affect the intensity of the interference pattern in double slit interference?

The intensity of the interference pattern is affected by the wavelength of the light, the distance between the two slits, and the distance from the slits to the screen. It is also influenced by the intensity and polarization of the incident light.

4. How does the intensity of the interference pattern change when one of the slits is covered?

If one of the slits is covered, the intensity of the interference pattern will decrease. This is because the waves from the open slit will no longer be able to interfere with the waves from the covered slit, resulting in a weaker interference pattern.

5. Can the intensity of the interference pattern be increased by increasing the intensity of the incident light?

Yes, the intensity of the interference pattern can be increased by increasing the intensity of the incident light. This is because a higher intensity of light will result in a higher amplitude of the waves passing through the slits, leading to a stronger interference pattern. However, the distance between the slits and the screen should also be taken into consideration, as a higher intensity of light may also result in a larger distance between bright fringes.