Interaction of dust and starlight - extinction

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical interstellar cloud and its effect on a star's apparent magnitude. The first problem relates to the high value obtained for the optical depth, while the second problem is about obtaining the final answer by subtracting the change in magnitude from the star's apparent magnitude. The conversation also includes a mistake regarding powers of 10 and a discussion about whether to add or subtract the change in magnitude. The final conclusion is that the change in magnitude should be subtracted from the apparent magnitude to calculate the new apparent magnitude.
henrco
Hi,

I haven't posted an Astronomy question before. I did see some Astronomy questions in this section so I posted it here. But if it's in the wrong place, for future reference, please let me know where it should be posted.

1) The first problem I need guidance on is the value I have obtained for the optical depth. It seems very high, but checking my calculations carefully I'm sure I haven't made a mistake.

2) The other problem I have is if I am correct in obtaining the final answer by subtracting the change in magnitude from the stars apparent magnitude. Since I need to obtain the magnitude without dust I subtracted the change in magnitude value.

Any guidance very welcome!

1. Homework Statement

A hypothetical interstellar cloud consists of a large number of identical dust grains of radius0.1 μm and which have an extinction efficiency factor 0.75 at wavelengths corresponding to the standard V filter. A star is observed through this cloud and its apparent magnitude is V = 14.2 mag.
The column density of the sightline is Ndust = 5.8 × 10^14 m2.

Suppose that all the grains ofdust were to be removed from the sightline. What would the star’s
apparent V magnitude then be?

Homework Equations

upload_2016-3-18_12-33-52.png

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-3-18_12-30-46.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Something went wrong with powers of 10 towards the end.
1.13*10-5 is not 1.13*10-5%, and the opposite is not 99.99%.

The 14.87 should be the change in magnitude, not the new magnitude (note that it does not depend on the old magnitude). The difference between that and the magnitude is not the difference in magnitude.

Likes henrco
Thank you for the response and guidance.
i) I saw my mistake regarding powers of 10 and corrected it.
ii) The change in magnitude comes out to 14.87

Finally I need to calculate the change in apparent magnitude, the current apparent magnitude is 14.2
and the change in magnitude is 14.87. However I'm hitting a metal block trying to work this out.

Appreciate any guidance to help me calculate the new apparent magnitude.

upload_2016-3-22_10-53-30.png

The dust makes the star dimmer, so the star is brighter than we see it. Does that mean you have to add or subtract the two numbers?

Likes henrco
Thank you for the prompt reply.

The lower the value for apparent magnitude the brighter the object appears.

So I would say you subtract the change in magnitude. So 14.2 - 14.87 = -0.67

Thank you.

1. What is the interaction between dust and starlight?

The interaction between dust and starlight is known as extinction. This occurs when dust particles in the interstellar medium absorb and scatter light from stars, causing the starlight to appear dimmer and redder.

2. How does dust extinction affect our observations of stars?

Dust extinction can make stars appear fainter and redder than they actually are. This can make it difficult for scientists to accurately measure the brightness and color of stars, which can impact our understanding of their properties and evolution.

3. What types of dust particles contribute to extinction?

The most common types of dust particles that contribute to extinction are carbonaceous particles, silicate particles, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. These particles vary in size and composition, which affects how they interact with starlight.

4. How does the amount of dust affect extinction?

The amount of dust present in the interstellar medium can greatly impact the amount of extinction. More dust means a greater chance of light being absorbed or scattered, resulting in higher extinction. This is why stars appear dimmer and redder in regions with high amounts of dust, such as the galactic plane.

5. How do scientists account for dust extinction in their observations?

Scientists use various techniques to correct for dust extinction in their observations, such as using different filters to measure the brightness of stars at different wavelengths. They also use models and simulations to estimate the amount of extinction and correct for it in their data analysis.