Interesting boundary value problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential at every point in space when a solid sphere with two different dielectric constants is placed in a uniform electric field. The plane where the two halves of the sphere intersect is parallel to the field at infinity, leading to a lack of azimuthal symmetry.
luisgml_2000

Homework Statement

A solid sphere is placed in an otherwise uniform electric field. Its upper half is made up from a material with dielectric constant e_1; the other half has dielectric constant e_2. The plane at which the parts of the sphere intersect is parallel to the uniform field at infinity.

The problem is to find the potential at every point in space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My only question is: is there any way for this problem to have azimuthal symmetry?

I tried to put the z axis parallel to the field at infinity, but I think it's not right since I don't get the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
luisgml_2000 said:
...The plane at which the parts of the sphere intersect is parallel to the uniform field at infinity.

My only question is: is there any way for this problem to have azimuthal symmetry?

If I'm reading this right, it sounds like the external field is perpendicular to the symmetry axis of the dielectric sphere. I think that effectively abolishes the azimuthal symmetry.

Related to Interesting boundary value problem

1. What is a boundary value problem (BVP)?

A boundary value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation subject to a set of conditions on the boundary of the domain in which the equation is defined.

2. How is a boundary value problem different from an initial value problem (IVP)?

In an initial value problem, the conditions are specified at a single point within the domain, while in a boundary value problem, the conditions are specified on the boundaries of the domain.

3. What makes a boundary value problem interesting?

Boundary value problems can be found in various areas of science and engineering, and they often involve real-world applications and complex mathematical concepts, making them challenging and intriguing to solve.

4. How are boundary value problems solved?

There are various methods for solving boundary value problems, including analytical methods (such as separation of variables and Green's functions) and numerical methods (such as finite difference, finite element, and boundary element methods).

5. What are some applications of boundary value problems?

Boundary value problems are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, and economics, to model and solve problems related to heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electrostatics, quantum mechanics, and more.