Interesting Feymann statement about probability.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the binomial distribution and the random walk problem, specifically how the variables D and k have the same distribution. There is some confusion and discussion about whether this is true because of their linear relationship, but it is ultimately concluded that D and k have the same distribution because they are both dichotomous variables. The conversation also touches on the idea of mapping probabilities and the 1-1 correspondence between values of D and NH.
Portuga
1. Hello gentlemen! I've studying the Feymann lectures, and I came across an interesting question, from reading the chapter 6, about probability.
In this chapter, Feymann deduces the binomial distribution, and I am ok with that.
But, in the 3rd section, when adresses to the random walk problem, he registered something that was very cumbersome for me to understand.
Let me try to explain.
He deal with two variables when solving the binomial distribution problem: n, the number of tosses of a "fair" coin; and k, the number of heads thrown. In the end, he gets:
[itex]P(k,n)=\frac{\left( \stackrel{n}{k} \right)}{2^n}.[/itex]

Ok, I got the point.
But later, he starts to solve the random walk problem, and introduces another variable, D, which is the net distance traveled in N steps.
Ok.
Stablishing a relation to the binomial distribution problem, D is just the difference between the number of heads and the number of tails, as heads stands for a forward step and tais for backward steps.
So,
[itex]D = N_H - N_T,[/itex]
and
[itex]N = N_H + N_T.[/itex]
So,
[itex]D = 2N_H - N.[/itex]
All right. Nothing difficult up to now.
But then, comes the magic.
He afirms that "We have derived earlier an expression for the expected distribution for D. Since N is just a constant, we have the corresponding distribution for D."
I got the impression that he is trying to pass the idea that as D is in a linear relation with [itex]N_H[/itex], they must have the same distribution.
2. In my opinion, Feymann did not express himself clearly, as he gives the impression that D and k have the same distribution because they have a linear relation between them. But, this is far from obvious, at least in my opinion. I cannot imagine that if tho variables are related by a linear relation, they will have same probability distribution.
I think both D and k have same distribution because they are basically Dichotomous variables. I would like to receive your advices. Thank you in advance.

P.S.: sorry for my poor english.

Physics news on Phys.org
If ## y = ax + b ## and ## x ## is a random variable with distribution ## \Phi (x) ##, what does the distribution function of y look like?

A coin toss (outcomes heads or tails) and a lottery ticket (outcomes win or lose) are both dichotomous variables. Do they have the same distribution?

Last edited:
I think I got the point. The distribution doesn't change because y only takes x values to another value, which is inside the x dominium, am I right? This way, [itex]\Phi[/itex] has a value for it. Is this what I should think?

Last edited:
The key point (these being discrete distributions) is that there is a 1-1 correspondence between values of D and values of NH. Consequently we can map the probabilities where they are nonzero: P[D=2h-N] = P[NH=h]. But note we also have P[D=2h-N+1] = 0 for all integer h.

Likes 1 person

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Feymann's statement about probability. I agree that it is a complex and interesting topic to discuss.

Firstly, I think it is important to note that probability is a mathematical concept used to quantify the likelihood of an event occurring. In the context of the binomial distribution problem, the variables n and k represent the number of tosses and the number of heads, respectively. The formula P(k,n)=\frac{\left( \stackrel{n}{k} \right)}{2^n} is derived using mathematical principles and is not dependent on any specific interpretation or relation between the variables.

When it comes to the random walk problem, Feymann introduces the variable D to represent the net distance traveled in N steps. As you correctly pointed out, D is a linear combination of N_H and N_T, which represent the number of heads and tails, respectively. Thus, D is also a dichotomous variable, just like k in the binomial distribution problem.

The reason why D and k have the same distribution is not because of their linear relation, but because they are both dichotomous variables with the same underlying probability distribution. In other words, the distribution of D is determined by the same mathematical principles as the distribution of k, which is the binomial distribution.

I hope this explanation helps clarify Feymann's statement for you. Probability can be a difficult concept to grasp, and it is always helpful to discuss and exchange ideas with others. Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic.

Sincerely,

1. What did Feynman mean when he said "Probability does not exist"?

Feynman was referring to the fact that probability is a concept that humans use to understand and predict events, but it is not an inherent aspect of nature. In other words, probability is a human construct and does not actually exist in the physical world.

2. How does Feynman's statement relate to the field of quantum mechanics?

Feynman's statement is closely related to the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. In quantum mechanics, there is a fundamental uncertainty in the behavior of particles, which means that their exact position and momentum cannot be determined with 100% certainty. This uncertainty is often described using probability, but as Feynman pointed out, this is just a human interpretation.

3. Can you provide an example of how probability is used in science and everyday life?

In science, probability is used in statistical analysis to determine the likelihood of certain outcomes or events occurring. For example, in clinical trials for new drugs, probability is used to determine the effectiveness and safety of the drug. In everyday life, we often use probability to make decisions or predictions, such as checking the weather forecast to decide if we need to bring an umbrella or not.

4. Does Feynman's statement mean that probability is useless?

No, Feynman's statement does not mean that probability is useless. Probability is a very useful tool for understanding and predicting events, but it is important to recognize that it is a human interpretation and not an inherent aspect of nature. It is important to use probability in conjunction with other evidence and knowledge to make informed decisions.

5. How can Feynman's statement about probability be applied to other areas of science?

Feynman's statement can be applied to other areas of science, particularly those that deal with complex systems or phenomena that are difficult to predict. For example, in meteorology, there is always a degree of uncertainty in weather forecasts due to the chaotic nature of the atmosphere. In these cases, probability is used as a tool to make predictions, but it is important to acknowledge its limitations and potential for error.