Interesting high-school STEM internships/camps/projects

In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school student who is interested in studying aerospace engineering abroad. They mention their passion for STEM and desire to participate in projects and initiatives that can help with their university admissions. They express difficulty in finding these opportunities and ask for recommendations from others. One person suggests participating in ISEF-affiliated science fairs, which have been beneficial for high school students in the past. The conversation ends with the student expressing interest in checking out these fairs and competing with other talented individuals.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Hi guys,

As some of you may already know(😅), I'm 18 and currently attending my last year of high school in Italy, and looking forward to studying aerospace engineering abroad(UK or USA).
My interest in STEMs is swiftly growing, leading me to study a lot on my own, taking part in as many cool projects as I possibly can, doing my best to get prepared(mentally and academically) for uni...

I'll jump straight to the point of this thread: lately, I ran into a few really cool initiatives organized by associations and institutions(such as CERN), addressed to academically motivated and worthy high schoolers, which provide a huge help and advantage for admissions/curriculum, along with offering the possibility to live life-changing experiences together with experienced professionals and scientists.

However, I unfortunately live in a dull environment from which is difficult to get to know all of these opportunities, or having a broad sight on what's going on in the academic world... and that's why I thought I could have asked you if you are aware of some STEM projects(e.g. I found interesting NASA summer camps... I'm thinking about something on that same wavelength) addressed to high-schoolers, to which I could send an application and hope to get accepted.

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
By far, the most valuable and productive STEM activity (other than normal coursework) for high school students I've mentored has been participation in ISEF-affiliated science fairs. January of one's senior year is a bit late to the party. But students who participate in a whole-hearted way for 2-3 annual cycles have reaped great benefits.

https://findafair.societyforscience.org/

Likes greg_rack
Dr. Courtney said:
By far, the most valuable and productive STEM activity (other than normal coursework) for high school students I've mentored has been participation in ISEF-affiliated science fairs. January of one's senior year is a bit late to the party. But students who participate in a whole-hearted way for 2-3 annual cycles have reaped great benefits.

https://findafair.societyforscience.org/
Definitely going to check them out, I even found some interesting fairs here in Milan... now the deal is engineering some kind of bionic arm to compete with such brilliant guys :)

1. What are the benefits of participating in a high-school STEM internship?

Participating in a high-school STEM internship can provide many benefits, such as gaining hands-on experience in a specific field of science, technology, engineering, or math. It can also help students develop important skills like problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication. Additionally, internships can provide valuable networking opportunities and give students a taste of what it's like to work in a professional setting.

2. How can I find high-school STEM internships or camps?

There are a few ways to find high-school STEM internships or camps. You can start by checking with local universities, research institutions, or companies in your area to see if they offer any programs for high-school students. You can also search online for organizations that specialize in providing STEM opportunities for high-schoolers. Your school's guidance counselor may also have information on available internships or camps.

3. Are there any specific requirements for participating in a high-school STEM internship?

Each internship or camp may have different requirements, but typically, students should have a strong interest in STEM and a solid academic background in relevant subjects. Some programs may also have age or grade level restrictions. Additionally, students may be required to submit an application, resume, or letters of recommendation. It's important to carefully review the requirements for each program before applying.

4. Can high-school STEM internships lead to future career opportunities?

Yes, high-school STEM internships can definitely lead to future career opportunities. By participating in an internship, students can gain valuable experience and make connections with professionals in their field of interest. This can help them stand out in college applications and job interviews. Some internships may also offer the opportunity for students to continue working with the organization in a paid position after they graduate from high school.

5. What types of projects or activities can I expect to participate in during a high-school STEM internship?

The projects or activities you will participate in during a high-school STEM internship will depend on the specific program and organization. However, you can expect to work on real-world problems or research projects, attend workshops or seminars, and possibly even present your work to others. You may also have the opportunity to shadow professionals, participate in lab experiments, or work on a team project with other students.