Interesting programming project in physics -- ideas requested

In summary, the speaker is a bachelor student in theoretical physics who is looking for a non-big project related to physics or abstract math. They are proficient in programming languages such as C, Python, C++, and Haskell and are interested in field theory, quantum mechanics, differential geometry, and topology. They are open to any project related to physics or math as long as it is interesting and not solely focused on numerical (P)DE solving. They are tired of working on simulations and are looking for something more advanced. The speaker has about 1-2 weeks to develop the project and is considering the 2D Ising model as it allows for temperature changes and interesting behaviors. They mention the possibility of incorporating parallel coding like CUDA, but are
Illuminatio fit
I'm looking for some non-big project related to physics or/and abstract math.
It firstly should be a good programming task(since its my programming credit)
Bachelor student in theoretical physics. Not bad at C and Python, a bit of C++ and Haskell. Interested in field theory, quantum stuff, diff geometry and topology.
Open to anything (somehow related to physics/math) if it seems interesting(at least colorful, since I'll have to represent it). A bit tired of numerical (P)DE solving.

The term before I was modeling double pendulum - so I'm looking for something more advanced.
I have about 1-2 week to actually develop it that's why non-big.

Physics news on Phys.org
One simulation that I found really interesting is to program the 2D Ising model. Once you have it coded up, which is fairly straightforward, it is really interesting to change the temperature and see the different behaviors.

phyzguy said:
One simulation that I found really interesting is to program the 2D Ising model. Once you have it coded up, which is fairly straightforward, it is really interesting to change the temperature and see the different behaviors.
I guess it is too small for term credit project. If only consider some parallel coding like CUDA inside. It looks interesting for me too, but I am not sure if it advanced enough.

Maybe something with tensor networks or DMRG.

1. What types of projects can be considered "interesting" in the field of programming and physics?

Interesting programming projects in physics can range from simulations and data analysis to creating visualizations and models. Some examples include developing a program to simulate particle collisions, creating a 3D model of a complex physical system, or designing a data analysis tool for experimental data.

2. How can I incorporate both physics and programming in a project?

One way to combine physics and programming is to choose a topic or concept in physics that involves complex calculations or simulations, and then create a program to automate these processes. This not only allows for a deeper understanding of the physics involved, but also hones programming skills.

3. What programming languages are commonly used in physics projects?

Some common programming languages in physics projects include Python, C++, and Java. These languages have a wide range of applications and are well-suited for scientific computing and data analysis.

4. Are there any online resources or tutorials for learning how to program in the context of physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for learning how to program in the context of physics. Some good places to start are websites like Codecademy, Coursera, and edX, which offer free online courses on programming and physics. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have online resources and materials for learning programming in the context of physics.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to work on an interesting programming project in this field?

Having a background in physics can certainly be helpful in understanding the concepts and theories behind a project, but it is not always necessary. With the abundance of online resources and tutorials, individuals with a strong programming background can also work on interesting projects in physics. However, it is important to have a willingness to learn and collaborate with those who have a deeper understanding of the physics involved.