How Do Two Rotating Rods Interact?

eitan77
Homework Statement
Two long rods rotate with the speed of omega and 2*omega around the parallel axes that pass through the points A and B respectively (and orthogonal to the plane of the drawing). At the moment in time t=0, both rods are turned to the right. What is the trajectory of the intersection point of the rods as a function of time?

I was able to find a mathematical expression for the trajectory of the intersection point in time except for the times when the two rods are horizontal, I understand that in this case there are infinite intersection points but I cannot see it mathematically.
Relevant Equations
R_ca = L + R _cb
1700321484211.png

1700330146783.png
1700330031350.png

1700330060114.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check if there are other times when the rods are parallel? If the time is allowed to continue long enough, they could be parallel at any angle. My mistake.

Last edited:
scottdave said:
What about other times when the rods are parallel? If the time is allowed to continue long enough, they could be parallel at any angle.
Thanks for the comment. So where do you think my mistake is? Did I miss something during the solution?

eitan77 said:
So where do you think my mistake is?
I don't see anything wrong with your solution.

eitan77 said:
Did I miss something during the solution?
What do you get for the final expression for ##\vec{R}_{cb}##? Interpret.

How did you get the left hand side of step 2 in the e1 calculations?

You change it from rca to rcb and use the double angle formula.

I circled what I'm talking about.

lever_e1.jpg

scottdave said:
How did you get the left hand side of step 2 in the e1 calculations?
It is a substitution using the last equation under the preceding "e2:" analysis.
scottdave said:
What about other times when the rods are parallel? If the time is allowed to continue long enough, they could be parallel at any angle.
Not so.

Last edited:
eitan77 said:
Thanks for the comment. So where do you think my mistake is? Did I miss something during the solution?
For what values of ##\omega t## are the rods parallel/antiparallel?

Last edited:
@eitan77, not an answer to your question but possibly worth noting…

The trajectory of the intersection point (C) is not continuous over time. There are time-intervals when there is no intersection, e.g. consider the positions of the rods when when ##\omega t = 135^o## so ##2\omega t = 270^o##.

When intersection occurs, using simple geometry you can show triangle ABC is isosceles (AB=BC). This provides a simple way to find C's trajectory.

Likes nasu and PeroK
Steve4Physics said:
When intersection occurs, using simple geometry you can show triangle ABC is isosceles (AB=BC). This provides a simple way to find C's trajectory.
That doesn’t work for ##\omega t>\pi##.

Likes nasu
Steve4Physics said:

The trajectory of the intersection point (C) is not continuous over time. There are time-intervals when there is no intersection, e.g. consider the positions of the rods when when ##\omega t = 135^o## so ##2\omega t = 270^o##.

Now that you mention that I noticed that my answer restricts C to having only positive e1 components
1700346994705.png

eitan77 said:
Now that you mention that I noticed that my answer restricts C to having only positive e1 components
View attachment 335718

Steve4Physics said:

eitan77 said:
View attachment 335718
So? Seems ok to me.

eitan77 said:
1700348352460.png

Does this equation restrict the allowed values of ##t##?

eitan77 said:
No mistake. Try answering the questions in posts #4, #7.

TSny said:
View attachment 335719

Does this equation restrict the allowed values of ##t##?
I didn't notice it until now, since r_cb represents length it cannot be negative so this limits it to values of t to be 0<t<pi/2.

eitan77 said:
I didn't notice it until now, since r_cb represents length it cannot be negative so this limits it to values of t to be 0<t<pi/2.
0<omega*t<pi/2

eitan77 said:
ok, that's the right idea. Your inequality should include ##\omega## in it. Also, there will be other allowed ranges.

TSny said:
I don't see anything wrong with your solution.What do you get for the final expression for ##\vec{R}_{cb}##? Interpret.
From my solution it is obtained if there is a point of intersection
1700349271099.png

eitan77 said:
View attachment 335720
Which looks like... ?

scottdave said:
If the time is allowed to continue long enough, they could be parallel at any angle.
Is that obvious? You can take the cross product between the vectors and demand that it be zero. That will give you the times at which the vectors are parallel or antiparallel. In this case "long enough" is the period of the slower moving vector ##T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}## at the end of which the vectors are back where they started.

• Informative
Likes scottdave
eitan77 said:
View attachment 335720
haruspex said:
Which looks like... ?
Sorry I don't think I understand what you mean.

haruspex said:
For what values of ##\omega t## are the rods parallel/antiparallel?
they are parallel for ##\pi +2\pi k =\omega t## for k =0,1,2...

So it is correct to say that there is an intersection point that holds :
1700351762217.png

when ##2\pi k <\omega t <= \pi /2 +2\pi k## for k = 0,1,2... ?

eitan77 said:
they are parallel for ##\pi +2\pi k =\omega t## for k =0,1,2...
That's for parallel in the strict sense, but allowing antiparallel it is ##\omega t=n\pi##.
In your algebra you wrote "While ##\sin(\omega t)\neq 0##", thereby sidelining these cases.
eitan77 said:
Sorry I don't think I understand what you mean.
Can you recognise View attachment 335720
as a simple geometric shape?

haruspex said:
That's for parallel in the strict sense, but allowing antiparallel it is ##\omega t=n\pi##.
In your algebra you wrote "While ##\sin(\omega t)\neq 0##", thereby sidelining these cases.

Can you recognise View attachment 335720
as a simple geometric shape?
It's a circle

eitan77 said:
1700349271099.png

It's a circle
Yes. But the algebra that is based on treats the rods as doubly infinite. What portion of the circle is ruled out by taking them as semi infinite, as illustrated?

haruspex said:
Yes. But the algebra that is based on treats the rods as doubly infinite. What portion of the circle is ruled out by taking them as semi infinite, as illustrated?
My intuition says that the bottom half of the circle should be ruled out, But I'm not sure how I'm supposed to see this mathematically. (if I am right)

And thank you very much for your patience.

Last edited:
eitan77 said:
My intuition says that the bottom half of the circle should be ruled out, But I'm not sure how I'm supposed to see this mathematically. (if I am right)

And thank you very much for your patience.
You have shown that the intersection lies in the half plane to the right of A. For what range(s) of ##\omega t## is that consistent with the position of the rod hinged at A?

haruspex said:
It is a substitution using the last equation under the preceding "e2:" analysis.

Not so.
Ok thanks.... My mistake.

haruspex said:
That doesn’t work for ##\omega t>\pi##.
I see it like this. A full cycle of the system occurs when rod A performs 1 full rotation and rod B performs 2 full rotations – we’re then back to the originaL start position.

Take point A as the origin so AB lies on the x-axis.

##\theta_A## is rod A’s direction (##\theta_A = \omega t##) and similarly for rod B, ##\theta_B = 2\omega t = 2\theta_A##.

There rods don' intersect for ##\pi/2 <\theta_A<3\pi/2##.

But, for example, consider ##\theta_A =7\pi/4##. Rod A bisects the 4th quadrant. Rod B points at ##7\pi/2## which is the -y direction. The intersection (point C) is (##l, -l##) so that ABC is a right-angled isosceles triangle.

Is there a mistake in my logic?

• Informative
Likes scottdave
Steve4Physics said:
I see it like this. A full cycle of the system occurs when rod A performs 1 full rotation and rod B performs 2 full rotations – we’re then back to the originaL start position.

Take point A as the origin so AB lies on the x-axis.

##\theta_A## is rod A’s direction (##\theta_A = \omega t##) and similarly for rod B, ##\theta_B = 2\omega t = 2\theta_A##.

There rods don' intersect for ##\pi/2 <\theta_A<3\pi/2##.

But, for example, consider ##\theta_A =7\pi/4##. Rod A bisects the 4th quadrant. Rod B points at ##7\pi/2## which is the -y direction. The intersection (point C) is (##l, -l##) so that ABC is a right-angled isosceles triangle.

Is there a mistake in my logic?
No, you are right. It wasn’t as obvious as I thought you were implying, but I didn't follow it through far enough.

Likes Steve4Physics, scottdave and eitan77
Thank you very much to all of you, you helped me a lot!

Likes scottdave

1. What is the purpose of two rotating rods in an experiment?

The purpose of using two rotating rods in an experiment is to study the effects of rotational motion on an object. By having two rotating rods, scientists can observe how different variables, such as speed and direction, affect the behavior of the object being studied.

2. How do you set up an experiment with two rotating rods?

To set up an experiment with two rotating rods, you will need to secure the rods in a stable position, either horizontally or vertically. Then, attach the object being studied to the rods using clamps or other secure fasteners. Finally, use a motor or other device to rotate the rods at a desired speed and direction.

3. What are some common variables that can be tested with two rotating rods?

Some common variables that can be tested with two rotating rods include speed, direction, weight, and shape of the object being studied. Scientists may also vary the materials of the rods or the surface on which the rods are rotating to observe different effects.

4. How do you measure the effects of two rotating rods on an object?

The effects of two rotating rods on an object can be measured in a variety of ways, depending on the specific experiment. Some common measurements include changes in the object's position, speed, and acceleration. Scientists may also use instruments such as force sensors or accelerometers to measure the forces acting on the object.

5. What are the potential applications of studying two rotating rods?

The study of two rotating rods has many potential applications in various fields of science and engineering. For example, it can be used to understand the dynamics of rotating objects in space, improve the design and efficiency of machinery, and study the behavior of biological systems such as the human body. It can also help in the development of new technologies, such as gyroscopes and sensors for navigation and stabilization.