Interference fringe of light beams of different frequencies

In summary: Then when adding these two light beams you have a beat frequency fb = f1 - f2. If the two light beams are in phase at time t = 0 (so you have constructive interference), then at time t = pi/fb the light beams will be 180 degrees out of phase (so you have destructive interference). However, unless f1 and f2 are really close (say within 10Hz of each other), then the beat frequency will be too fast the human eye to resolve. In that case the light intensity that we
abcrelativity
I have a question. If you have two light beams of different frequencies, would you observe interference fringes?

Science news on Phys.org

This is an interesting question. It turns out that the answer is no. This is pretty straightforward to see mathematically, but for the benefit of intuition it's instructive to consider the case when the light beams have two frequencies f1 and f2 which are very close, but not quite equal. Then when adding these two light beams you have a beat frequency fb = f1 - f2. If the two light beams are in phase at time t = 0 (so you have constructive interference), then at time t = pi/fb the light beams will be 180 degrees out of phase (so you have destructive interference). However, unless f1 and f2 are really close (say within 10Hz of each other), then the beat frequency will be too fast the human eye to resolve. In that case the light intensity that we will see is the average of constructive interference and destructive interference, which amounts to no interference at all.

With 2 different frequencies of sound interference shows itself as 'beats'
With radio waves of different frequencies beats are also produced. This is used in the superheterodyne principle of radio reception.
I am not aware of any similar effect with light.
Your question is a good question !

Hi Cortiver, you seem to answer my question. This is for two light beams so frequency difference is really small (much less than 10 Hz). It is a difference of frequency of 1 part per 10'000 with respect to the average frequency of daylight. What I am not sure to understand is what would be the beat frequency? Would it increase when the difference in frequency is getting smaller or the reverse? Is there a way to quantify the beat frequency? Maybe if you have a reference of a book with this problem would be usefull..

abcrelativity said:
Hi Cortiver, you seem to answer my question. This is for two light beams so frequency difference is really small (much less than 10 Hz). It is a difference of frequency of 1 part per 10'000 with respect to the average frequency of daylight. What I am not sure to understand is what would be the beat frequency?

He told you in his post:

cortiver said:
Then when adding these two light beams you have a beat frequency fb = f1 - f2.

The frequency of visible light is around 1015 Hz. One part per 10000 of that would give you a beat frequency of 1011 Hz which is much too rapid to see visually. I don't know whether electronic detection equipment is good enough to "see" it.

Last edited:
Beat frequency is a pretty basic concept in physics so you should be able to find lots of good explanations on the web -- you could start with the Wikipedia article. The beat frequency is calculated as the difference in the frequencies of the two light beams, fb = f1 - f2. So the smaller the difference between the frequencies of the two beams, the smaller the beat frequency (so the beats are slower and hence easier to detect). In the case that the frequencies are actually the same, f1 = f2, then the beat frequency is zero -- so that the interference fringes don't change with time at all.

I don't know how you're getting "1 part per 10,000". The frequency of visible light is measured in hundreds of terahertz, so a difference in 10Hz is more like one part in 10^14, which is pretty minuscule. That's why beats are much harder (impossible?) to observe with light waves than, say, sound waves.

abcrelativity said:
Hi Cortiver, you seem to answer my question. This is for two light beams so frequency difference is really small (much less than 10 Hz). It is a difference of frequency of 1 part per 10'000 with respect to the average frequency of daylight.

Are you sure it is really 10 Hz? That is nothing in the optical domain. Even rather tiny polarization splittings of 10 microeV which are already hard to resolve in the spectral domain coreespond to a difference of 10^9 Hz. Also are we talking about two monochromatic beams or two spectrally broad beams with different center frequency? In the latter case beatings are washed out anyway.

abcrelativity said:
Is there a way to quantify the beat frequency? Maybe if you have a reference of a book with this problem would be usefull..

You can see the beatings using a Michelson interferometer. If you record an interferogram of the combined beams you can directly see the beats in the signal. Depending on how good (and expensive) your translation stages are, you can resolve pretty fast beatings. If you use good piezos, temporal resolution in the upper attosecond range is possible.

cortiver said:
This is an interesting question. It turns out that the answer is no. This is pretty straightforward to see mathematically, but for the benefit of intuition it's instructive to consider the case when the light beams have two frequencies f1 and f2 which are very close, but not quite equal. Then when adding these two light beams you have a beat frequency fb = f1 - f2. If the two light beams are in phase at time t = 0 (so you have constructive interference), then at time t = pi/fb the light beams will be 180 degrees out of phase (so you have destructive interference). However, unless f1 and f2 are really close (say within 10Hz of each other), then the beat frequency will be too fast the human eye to resolve. In that case the light intensity that we will see is the average of constructive interference and destructive interference, which amounts to no interference at all.

I think you're mixing up sound and light. The ear can resolve beat frequencies at 10Hz seperation. Visible light is many orders of magnitude higher in frequency (THz). In addition, considering that a linewidth of 10 Hz is an extremely good laser, such a restriction would mean that in practice we would never see interference fringes. (And certainly not before a decade or so ago).

e.bar.goum said:
I think you're mixing up sound and light. The ear can resolve beat frequencies at 10Hz seperation. Visible light is many orders of magnitude higher in frequency (THz). In addition, considering that a linewidth of 10 Hz is an extremely good laser, such a restriction would mean that in practice we would never see interference fringes. (And certainly not before a decade or so ago).

There's no difference between sound and light, in principle. Yes, in practice it is much harder to observe beats with visible light due to the high frequencies, as I already noted.

1. What is an interference fringe?

An interference fringe is a pattern of light and dark bands that appears when two or more light waves interact with each other. It is caused by the superposition of the waves, where the peaks and troughs of the waves either reinforce or cancel each other out.

2. How are interference fringes created?

Interference fringes are created when two or more light waves of different frequencies overlap and interfere with each other. This can occur naturally, such as with sunlight passing through a thin film of oil, or it can be artificially created in a laboratory setting using specialized equipment.

3. What is the significance of different frequencies in interference fringes?

The frequencies of the light waves determine the spacing and visibility of the interference fringes. Light waves with similar frequencies will produce closely spaced and distinct fringes, while waves with very different frequencies will produce wider and less defined fringes.

4. What is the principle behind using interference fringes in scientific experiments?

Interference fringes are used in many scientific experiments as a way to measure and analyze the properties of light, such as its wavelength, frequency, and polarization. By studying the patterns and behavior of interference fringes, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of light and its interactions with matter.

5. How are interference fringes used in practical applications?

Interference fringes have many practical applications, including in microscopy, spectroscopy, and interferometry. They are also used in the construction of devices such as lasers, optical filters, and interferometers. In addition, the study of interference fringes has led to advancements in fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and medical imaging.