Interferometry on photodetector

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of a photodetector in an interferometry experiment and how the interference pattern should appear on the screen connected to the detector. Various methods, such as using a QHQ retarder or introducing small path length differences, are suggested to prove the interference pattern. However, without a clear description of the equipment and setup, it is difficult to provide specific suggestions.
Silviu
Hello! I am trying an interferometry experiment using the Michelson Morley experiment. I managed to obtain the interference pattern on a screen, but I want to use an photodetector and I am not sure what should I obtain. As I know, the oscilloscope shows the intensity of the light, so if I modify the interference pattern, the intensity should change, but I don't understand why should I see the bright and dark lines on the photodetector. And if I don't see this, what is the point of using an photodetector in this case? Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
An oscilloscope is useful for looking at rapid variations in voltage.
If you scope shows light intensity, that means that intensity (at teh central spot of the interference pattern?) has been converted into a voltage some way or other.
If your interference patttern moves in and out you see dark as low voltage and bright as high voltage. Useful is one of the mirrors moves periodically with a suitable frequency.

BvU said:
Hi,
An oscilloscope is useful for looking at rapid variations in voltage.
If you scope shows light intensity, that means that intensity (at teh central spot of the interference pattern?) has been converted into a voltage some way or other.
If your interference patttern moves in and out you see dark as low voltage and bright as high voltage. Useful is one of the mirrors moves periodically with a suitable frequency.
Sorry, I just edited, it is a photodetector, not an oscilloscope.

<Moderator's note: title changed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a photodetector gives off some signal that has to be converted into a reading. That's your brightness measure

Silviu said:
Hello! I am trying an interferometry experiment using the Michelson Morley experiment. I managed to obtain the interference pattern on a screen, but I want to use an photodetector and I am not sure what should I obtain. As I know, the oscilloscope shows the intensity of the light, so if I modify the interference pattern, the intensity should change, but I don't understand why should I see the bright and dark lines on the photodetector. And if I don't see this, what is the point of using an photodetector in this case? Thank you!

Are you asking if the interference pattern is small enough/fine enough fringes to 'fit' onto the active area of a photodetector? Usually photodetectors are used under conditions that the intensity is (nearly) constant over the detector area.

Andy Resnick said:
Are you asking if the interference pattern is small enough/fine enough fringes to 'fit' onto the active area of a photodetector? Usually photodetectors are used under conditions that the intensity is (nearly) constant over the detector area.
Hello! I just want to know if the interference pattern should appear in any way on the screen connected to the photodetector or i just get a straight line.

Silviu said:
Hello! I just want to know if the interference pattern should appear in any way on the screen connected to the photodetector or i just get a straight line.

I don't understand why you have a (single element) photodetector connect to a display screen.

Andy Resnick said:
I don't understand why you have a (single element) photodetector connect to a display screen.
So I have this screen connected to an oscilloscope that shows me the intensity of the light on the screen as a function of time

How big is the sensitive area of the photodetector ?

BvU said:
How big is the sensitive area of the photodetector ?
It is around 5 times bigger than the area of the light dot produced by the laser.

If your interferometer produces a ring pattern then that pattern will move inward/outward if one of the optical paths changes. Your photodetector should only see the central area of the pattern, otherwise the amount of light that it picks up doesn't vary that much ...

BvU said:
If your interferometer produces a ring pattern then that pattern will move inward/outward if one of the optical paths changes. Your photodetector should only see the central area of the pattern, otherwise the amount of light that it picks up doesn't vary that much ...
So how can I prove the interference pattern this way? Like what response of the detector should prove it is interference and not just a single source of light?

Silviu said:
So I have this screen connected to an oscilloscope that shows me the intensity of the light on the screen as a function of time

Ok- so if I understand you, the detector is measuring the intensity (essentially) at a point, and the intensity value is shown on the screen/scope. So, if you vary the path length difference by a small amount (fractions of a wavelength), the intensity reading should oscillate as sin^2(path length difference), but should not vary with time (mechanical vibrations excepted). Precisely varying the path length difference by this amount can be difficult, but there are methods- a QHQ retarder is one:

http://bnonlinear.com/pub/spectralF...r_wide_spectral_tuning_of_an_optical_null.pdf (Figure 2)

Rotating the half-wave plate an angle θ introduces a phase change 2θ.

Without seeing your setup, it's hard to come up with suggestions, but here's two more:

If you are using fiber optics, there are devices that bend/stretch the fiber by small amounts to introduce a phase shift.
If you have expanded the beam, you can introduce a slight tilt or defocus to one arm (wavefront shearing interferometer) and the signal at the photodiode will oscillate.

A simple thing to try is to use the heat of your hand to introduce a path length difference in the air- it's not controlled or precise, but if you place your hand below one of the (open air) arms, you should be able to see the signal.

Does this help?

The one thing you haven't done is described the equipment you are using and how it's hooked up. Without that, people are guessing. Do you think guessing is helpful?

1. What is interferometry and how is it used on photodetectors?

Interferometry is a technique used in optics to measure the interference pattern of light waves. It is used on photodetectors by splitting a beam of light into two paths and then recombining them. The resulting interference pattern can be measured by the photodetector to determine properties of the light, such as intensity and wavelength.

2. What are the advantages of using interferometry on photodetectors?

Interferometry on photodetectors allows for highly accurate and precise measurements of light properties, such as intensity and wavelength. It also allows for the detection of very small changes in the light, making it useful in many scientific and industrial applications.

3. What are the limitations of interferometry on photodetectors?

Interferometry on photodetectors is limited by factors such as the quality of the photodetector itself, the stability of the light source, and environmental factors such as vibrations and temperature changes. These limitations can affect the accuracy and reliability of the measurements.

4. How is interferometry used in modern photodetectors?

In modern photodetectors, interferometry is often used in conjunction with other techniques, such as amplification and filtering, to improve the accuracy and sensitivity of the measurements. It is also commonly used in imaging systems to create detailed images of objects and structures.

5. What are some common applications of interferometry on photodetectors?

Interferometry on photodetectors is used in a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, astronomy, remote sensing, and medical imaging. It is also used in quality control and inspection processes in manufacturing industries, as well as in research and development of new technologies.