Intermodulation in an Amplifier and Third Order Incercept

• Thread starter Natalie Johnson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of a transfer function curve for an amplifier and the discovery of non-linear increases in the output power at higher input power levels. The speaker also mentions measuring 3rd order intermodulation products and obtaining the correct Third Order Intercept as stated in the manufacturer's datasheet. The possibility of amplifiers having intermodulation higher than the theoretical 3:1 ratio is also discussed, with the speaker concluding that it depends on the amplifier's design and output device. The use of a computer model and fast Fourier transform to obtain intermodulation product levels is mentioned, and the importance of assessing amplifier linearity using methods such as the third order intercept or two/three tone input signals is highlighted.
Natalie Johnson
Hi,

I have measured a Transfer function curve for an amplifier, showing Input power vs output power. It shows non-linear increases for a portion of the transfer curve (at higher input power).

I also measured 3rd order intermodulation products during the input power range where it gives non linear output. I measured 3 Amplifiers.

On one Amplifier, the ratio of gradients was 3:1 (intermodulation power vs input power : output power vs input power) but the other two were not the theoretical 3:1 . They were 6:1 and 7:1. But from all three I obtained the correct Third Order Incercept as the manufacturers datasheet.

Why might amplifiers have intermodulation higher than the theoretical 3:1 ? If they cant, it must be an error with my measurements?

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The harmonic performance will depend on the amplifier which depends on the output device and the circuit design. Third order intercept assessment is only useful for comparing amps with mild non linearity. What amp type are you measuring?

My measurements are based on a computer model. The computer model takes a waveform an amplifies it according to the manufacturers transfer curve of the amplifier. The amplified waveform is correct.

The intermodulation products are captured from a fast Fourier transform.

So basically, as long as I get the third order intercept correct - my model must be correctly obtaining the levels of intermodulation products. From what your saying, amplifiers in theory do not always have 3:1 ratio?

Natalie Johnson said:
From what your saying, amplifiers in theory do not always have 3:1 ratio?
Why should they? The third order intercept is a fair way to asses an amplifier where the transfer characteristic can be characterised with a simple polynomial. You can's assume that the result for all amplifiers will be the same.
Another way of assessing amplifier linearity is to measure intermodulation products from a two or three tone input signal. That can be very useful and repeatable for comparing amplifiers of different technologies.
It all depends.

1. What is intermodulation in an amplifier?

Intermodulation in an amplifier refers to the phenomenon where two or more signals of different frequencies are combined and produce additional frequencies that were not originally present. This can result in unwanted distortion and affect the quality of the amplified signal.

2. How does intermodulation affect the performance of an amplifier?

Intermodulation can cause non-linear distortion in an amplifier, which means that the output signal is not an exact replica of the input signal. This can result in a decrease in the signal-to-noise ratio and affect the overall performance of the amplifier.

3. What is the Third Order Intercept (TOI) point in an amplifier?

The Third Order Intercept (TOI) point is a measure of an amplifier’s linearity. It is the point at which the third-order intermodulation products generated by two input signals are equal in amplitude to one of the input signals. TOI is usually expressed in decibels relative to the output power of the amplifier.

4. How is the Third Order Intercept (TOI) point calculated?

The TOI point of an amplifier is calculated by measuring the input power levels at which the third-order intermodulation products are equal in amplitude to one of the input signals. The difference between the input power levels and the output power of the amplifier is then calculated and expressed in decibels.

5. Why is the Third Order Intercept (TOI) point important in amplifier design?

The TOI point is an important factor in amplifier design because it is an indication of the amplifier’s linearity. The higher the TOI point, the more linear the amplifier is and the less distortion it will produce. This is especially important in applications where a high-fidelity signal is required, such as in audio amplifiers or communication systems.