Internal combustion engine backpressure

In summary,Diesel engines encounter backpressure when the exhaust pressure reaches approximately 6 atm. This pressure stalls the engine. To calculate the mean effective pressure, the effect of the backpressure on the engine's performance is taken into account.
OlegZin
Hello everyone
I got diesel engine, and there is a backpressure applied in the exhaust. I know that when the exhaust pressure reaches approximately 6 atm. the engine stalls. The question is, how I'm able to calculate this precisely, especially when the backpressure didn't reach it's maximum value, for example 2 atm.
I've been told that it has to deal with mean effective pressure, but I couldn't find the right formula...
Thanks in advance
Oleg

OlegZin said:
Hello everyone
I got diesel engine, and there is a backpressure applied in the exhaust. I know that when the exhaust pressure reaches approximately 6 atm. the engine stalls. The question is, how I'm able to calculate this precisely, especially when the backpressure didn't reach it's maximum value, for example 2 atm.
I've been told that it has to deal with mean effective pressure, but I couldn't find the right formula...
Thanks in advance
Oleg
The formula for calculating the mean effective pressure of diesel and gas engines can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_effective_pressure

While BMEP is an element of the issue, the effect of backpressure on the engine's performance goes far beyond that.

Even for a single piston diesel engine, which is the simplest example calculating the effect of the backpressure on the BMEP of a cylinder with the ratio of combustion air vs exhaust gas at each backpressure value is going to be very difficult and will vary depending upon throttle position and possibly engine speed as well.

For a multi-cylinder engines it gets even more difficult because you have to include the pumping losses on the filling and exhausting of all other cylinders during the compressing and firing stroke of one individual cylinder; and this effect will be different for engines with different numbers of cylinders.

Thanks all for taking part in this disscution. The answer has been found. Here what I've found:
Cycle with backpressure may look like this :
Indicator-Diagram-for-a-Four-Stroke-Cycle-Petrol-Engines.png

There are two loops in there, the top one is the indicated work that we get from the cycle (W_ind) and the bottom one is called pumping work (W_pump), its actually energy that we lose. By dividing the work by displacement volume we will get mean effective pressures: bmep - brake mean effective pressure ; pmep - pumping mean effective pressure.
the pmep may be approximated as : (p_exhaust - p_suction)*V_displacment
Since backpressure reduces the total work, the new work will this:
W(kW)=V [m^3 / sec] * (bmep - pmep) [ Pa]

Related to Internal combustion engine backpressure

1. What is internal combustion engine backpressure?

Internal combustion engine backpressure is the resistance that the exhaust gases face as they exit the engine. It is caused by the buildup of exhaust gases in the exhaust system and can affect the performance of the engine.

2. How does backpressure affect engine performance?

Backpressure can affect engine performance in several ways. It can reduce the efficiency of the engine by making it work harder to push out exhaust gases, leading to a decrease in power and fuel economy. It can also cause damage to engine components such as valves and exhaust manifolds.

3. What causes backpressure in an internal combustion engine?

Backpressure is caused by obstructions or restrictions in the exhaust system, such as a clogged catalytic converter, muffler, or exhaust pipe. It can also be caused by incorrect exhaust system design or a malfunctioning exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve.

4. How can backpressure be reduced?

The most effective way to reduce backpressure is by ensuring that the exhaust system is functioning properly and is free of obstructions. Regular maintenance, such as replacing the air filter and keeping the engine tuned, can also help to reduce backpressure. Installing a high-flow catalytic converter or a performance exhaust system can also help to reduce backpressure.

5. Can backpressure be beneficial for an internal combustion engine?

In some cases, a certain level of backpressure can be beneficial for an internal combustion engine. It can help to improve low-end torque and engine response. However, too much backpressure can be harmful and should be avoided to maintain optimal engine performance and longevity.