Internal Energy: 10 Moles Helium & Oxygen at 100K

In summary: Which is the internal energy of a monoatomic or diatomic gas at 100K.In summary, the internal energy of helium is 8,314 J, which is 3/2 of the calculation.
edanzig
"What is the internal energy of 10 moles of helium at 100 K?"
The same question is asked about 10 moles of oxygen. I'm going to guess PV=nRT which would give 8,314 J as the PV value. Because (at least in chemistry this is true) delta H = delat E +/- work and work = PV, so PV would somehow resemble "internal energy." The answer given is 12,473 J which is 3/2 of the calculation. I know I am on the right track but it would be helpful if someone could just throw it together for me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't my best area, but I'll try to get you started since nobody has responded yet.

edanzig said:
"What is the internal energy of 10 moles of helium at 100 K?"
The same question is asked about 10 moles of oxygen. I'm going to guess PV=nRT which would give 8,314 J as the PV value. Because (at least in chemistry this is true) delta H = delat E +/- work and work = PV, so PV would somehow resemble "internal energy." The answer given is 12,473 J which is 3/2 of the calculation. I know I am on the right track but it would be helpful if someone could just throw it together for me. Thanks

The first question to ask yourself is, "is helium a monoatomic or diatomic gas?" (That actually matters.)

Using that you can find CV , the heat capacity at constant volume. And from there, you can determine the internal energy.

This article can get you going, or I'm sure you can find the equivalent material in your textbook or coursework:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity_ratio

The reason (or at least a reason) that the internal energy is not simply PV is that some additional energy is stored in the form of microscopic rotational energy of the atoms/molecules. The internal energy is PV for an ideal gas [Edit: here, by "ideal gas" I mean a gas that is neither monoatomic nor diatomic*], but that simple relationship doesn't hold when actual matter consisting of atoms and molecules are involved. :smile:

*[It is possible to model "ideal" monoatomic and "ideal" diatomic gases, however, as is done in the link I provided. That's probably the approach you should use for this problem.]

Last edited:
One can use the equipartition theorem to get that the internal energy of a perfect gas is equal to $$U=\frac{f}{2}Nk_B T$$

Where f is the number of degrees of freedom of the gas. It's 3 for a monoatomic molecule (3 translational degrees of freedom), and 4 (5? I can't remember) or higher for diatomic molecules as you start to get the vibration and rotational modes.

N in the above is the total number of molecules. Given the moles n, one has the equivalent formula:

$$U=\frac{f}{2}nRT$$

Related to Internal Energy: 10 Moles Helium & Oxygen at 100K

What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the sum of all the potential and kinetic energies contained within a system. It includes the energy associated with the motion and position of the particles within the system.

What is the significance of 10 moles of helium and oxygen?

10 moles of helium and oxygen represent a specific amount of gas molecules in a closed system. This quantity is important for calculating the internal energy of the system.

How does temperature affect internal energy?

The internal energy of a system is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature increases, the molecules within the system gain more kinetic energy, resulting in a higher internal energy.

What is the relationship between internal energy and work?

Internal energy and work are related through the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In other words, work can either increase or decrease the internal energy of a system.

What units are used to measure internal energy?

Internal energy is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). However, other units such as calories (cal) or electronvolts (eV) may also be used in certain contexts.