Internal magnetic field experienced by H atom Electron

In summary, the 21 cm spectral line in a hydrogen atom is caused by the coupling between the electron spin and the proton spin, known as hyperfine structure. This is different from the spin-orbit coupling, which is responsible for the fine structure of energy levels in atoms. The calculated internal magnetic field experienced by the electron in the hydrogen atom is approximately 0.051 T, which contradicts the expected value of 14 T calculated using a different equation. Further investigation is needed to determine the reason for this discrepancy.
Bosley

Homework Statement

A 21 cm spectral line corresponds to the flipping of the electron in a hydrogen atom from having its spin parallel to the spin of the proton to having it anti-parallel. Find the internal magnetic field experienced by the electron in the hydrogen atom.

Homework Equations

lambda = 21 cm
f=c/lambda = 1.429 x 10^9 Hz
DeltaE = h f = 9.4686 x 10^-25 J

The Attempt at a Solution

According to Arthur Beiser's 1969 quantum book, the energy of an electron in a given quantum state will be higher or lower by Vm = (e*hbar/(2m))*B than its energy in the absence of the spin-orbit coupling.

I think that the DeltaE I found above would be equal to 2*Vm. Which would give me B = DeltaE*m/(e*hbar). But plugging in the numbers to that equation I get that B = .051 T.

This contradicts what Beiser says shortly thereafter, which is that the ground state hydrogen atom should have B approximately 14 T. He calculates this using B = muo*f*e/(2r) with f = 7 x 1015 where f is the number of times the hydrogen atom "sees" itself circled by the proton each second, and r = 5 x 10-11 m. I don't know why my calculation contradicts this one, and if that contradiction is ok or if I have done something wrong.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The spin-orbit coupling is not responsible for the 21 cm line. The spin-orbit coupling refers to the coupling of the electrons intrinsic spin to its orbital angular momentum. Only states with nonzero orbital angular momentum are split by the spin-orbit interaction. This is one contribution to what's called fine structure of atom energy levels.

The 21 cm line is due to a splitting of the 1s state due to the coupling between the electron spin with the proton spin. The 1s state has no orbital angular momentum and there is no spin-orbit splitting for this state. The spin-spin coupling is much smaller than typical spin-orbit couplings and causes what is called hyperfine structure. I haven't checked your numbers, but it's natural to find a nuclear magnetic field that is much smaller than that due to angular momentum of the electron.

1. What is the internal magnetic field experienced by an H atom electron?

The internal magnetic field experienced by an H atom electron is the magnetic field generated by the nucleus of the atom itself. This field is responsible for the splitting of spectral lines in the hydrogen atom, known as the Zeeman effect.

2. How is the internal magnetic field of an H atom electron calculated?

The internal magnetic field of an H atom electron can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2r, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the nuclear spin, and r is the distance between the nucleus and the electron.

3. What is the significance of the internal magnetic field for the structure of the hydrogen atom?

The internal magnetic field plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. It causes the energy levels to split, leading to the observed spectral lines in the hydrogen emission spectrum. This field also affects the behavior of the electron in the atom, influencing its spin and orbital angular momentum.

4. Can the internal magnetic field of an H atom electron be measured?

Yes, the internal magnetic field of an H atom electron can be measured using spectroscopic techniques, such as the Zeeman effect. By analyzing the splitting of spectral lines, the strength of the internal magnetic field can be determined.

5. How does the internal magnetic field of an H atom electron differ from an external magnetic field?

The internal magnetic field of an H atom electron is generated by the nucleus of the atom itself, while an external magnetic field is generated by an external source. The strength and direction of the internal magnetic field are dependent on the properties of the atom, while the external magnetic field can vary depending on the strength and orientation of the magnet. Additionally, the internal magnetic field is only experienced by the electron within the atom, while the external magnetic field can affect objects outside of the atom.