Interpolation and linear algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses using numpy to solve a system with row echelon reduction and back substitution, and creating an interpolating polynomial for a set of data points. The participants also discuss the accuracy and usefulness of using higher order polynomials for interpolation.
mafagafo

Homework Statement

As a string in my program.

Homework Equations

Solving a system with the forward phase of row echelon reduction and a consecutive back substitution.
All done by numpy here. (The book suggested MATLAB, etc).

The Attempt at a Solution

Python:
import numpy

""" In a wind tunnel experiment, the force on a projectile due to air
resistance was measured at different velocities:
Velocity (100 ft/sec) 0 2.00 4.00 6.00 8.00 10.00
Force (100 lb)        0 2.90 14.8 39.6 74.3 119.0
Find an interpolating polynomial for these data and estimate the force on the
projectile when the projectile is traveling at 750 ft/sec.
Use p(t) = a0 + a1*t + a2*t^2 + a3*t^3 + a4*t^4 + a5*t^5.
What happens if you try to use a polynomial of degree less than 5?
(Try a cubic polynomial, for instance.)
"""

make_row_for_t = lambda t: [t ** n for n in range(6)]

A = numpy.array([make_row_for_t(t * 100) for t in range(0, 11, 2)])
B = numpy.array([[n] for n in [0, 290, 1480, 3960, 7430, 11900]])

coefficients = numpy.linalg.solve(A, B)

p = numpy.polynomial.Polynomial(coefficients.flatten())

print_p = lambda x: print("{:<8} = {}".format("p(" + str(x) + ")", p(x)))

for n in range(0, 1100, 200):
    print_p(n)

print_p(750)

Code:
p(0)     = 0.0
p(200)   = 290.0000000000015
p(400)   = 1480.0000000000023
p(600)   = 3960.0000000000036
p(800)   = 7430.000000000004
p(1000)  = 11900.00000000001
p(750)   = 6483.837890625005

Did it work? Yes. (Just get the python3 and python3-numpy packages under Linux and it should run in your machine too.)

The book does not have the answer, but mine seems OK, I wanted to get some review on what I did as I am new to numpy and interpolation and thought I would get some useful advice or even corrections.

Physics news on Phys.org
The interpolation requires a polynomial in x5, as you have six data points. For 750 fps, you get 6483,83 lbs

With a smaller polynomial, and if you want to consider all the points, you would have to conform yourself with a best-fit (that, in this case, is quite good with a third-degree polynomial...).Since you are asked for the resistance at 750 fps, the sensible thing to do, in my opinion, is to take the last four points and to obtain the interpolation, third-degree polynomial.

Very few things are interpolated well using polynomials higher than third order. You fight round-off errors and then the polynomial will want to oscillate. Most data interpolate quite well with either parabolas or cubics.

Interesting. Thank you for the answers, will have a somewhat decent graph of the cubic soon. Maybe will compare it with the fifth degree polynomial. My first thought was that really small coefficients and bigger polynomials would just make the interpolation more and more accurate.

mafagafo said:
Interesting. Thank you for the answers, will have a somewhat decent graph of the cubic soon. Maybe will compare it with the fifth degree polynomial. My first thought was that really small coefficients and bigger polynomials would just make the interpolation more and more accurate.

If the coefficients of the higher powers of your interpolating polynomial are really small, that can also be an indication that a lower order polynomial will interpolate the data just fine.

NTW said:
The interpolation requires a polynomial in x5, as you have six data points. For 750 fps, you get 6483,83 lbs

With a smaller polynomial, and if you want to consider all the points, you would have to conform yourself with a best-fit (that, in this case, is quite good with a third-degree polynomial...).Since you are asked for the resistance at 750 fps, the sensible thing to do, in my opinion, is to take the last four points and to obtain the interpolation, third-degree polynomial.
p(t) = 2.0833e-07*t^3 + 0.012*t^2 + 0.24167*t^1 - 550 // using the last 4 points.
p(t) = 0.0125*t^2 - 0.15*t^1 - 450 // using the last 3 points.
Nice that the graphics (in the region of interest) almost coincide.
upload_2014-12-4_0-12-20.png

1. What is interpolation and how is it used in scientific research?

Interpolation is a mathematical technique used to estimate unknown data points based on known data points. In scientific research, interpolation is often used to fill in gaps in data or to create smooth curves from a set of scattered data points.

2. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear interpolation?

Linear interpolation involves connecting data points with straight lines, while nonlinear interpolation involves using a curve to connect data points. Nonlinear interpolation is more accurate, but also more complex to calculate.

3. How is linear algebra related to interpolation?

Linear algebra is the branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their properties. Interpolation often involves solving systems of linear equations to find the coefficients of the curve or line that best fits the given data points.

4. What are some common applications of interpolation in science and engineering?

Interpolation is used in a wide range of fields, such as image processing, signal processing, geology, and finance. It is commonly used to reconstruct missing or noisy data, create smooth curves for visualization, and predict future values based on existing data.

5. Are there any limitations or potential issues with using interpolation?

Interpolation can produce inaccurate results if the data is not well-behaved or if there are large gaps between data points. It can also introduce errors if the underlying assumptions of the interpolation method are not met. Additionally, extrapolation (predicting values outside of the known data range) can be unreliable and should be used with caution.