Interpretations of Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the various interpretations of quantum mechanics all have their merits, but the MWI is the most minimal and relativistic of them all.
Before i start, i nothing of physics other than what I've seen in sci-fi.

Is it believed that universes are created through the collision with other universes? and that this created universe assumingly expands to ultimately contract till it implodes on itself unless of course it itself collides with another universe.

Further does the rate of expansion effect the outcome of a collision...ie does a rapidy expanding universe in collision with a slowly extracting universe create something different from a slowly expanding universe with a slowly contarcting universe or any permintation of the two.

Also if there are multiverses does the outcome of a collision of many of them create something totally different.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
RUTA said:
Are you calling me the Devil?

But seriously, do you have a citation for this interpretation -- proponents, opponents, discussion, etc?

When 't Hooft first proposed the sort of deterministic models he is working on, he was thinking along these lines, see e.g. here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9903084

But his models are completely deterministic and local, so what he is proposing amounts to a local deterministic hidden variable models and a necessary ingredient in these models has to be that they are superdeterministic (i.e. the observer has no freedom to choose how to set up his experiments; the fact that he/she is deterministic too cannot be ignored). In later papers 't Hooft has argued why superdeterminism is a natural feature of any deterministic model:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0701097

Count Iblis said:
When 't Hooft first proposed the sort of deterministic models he is working on, he was thinking along these lines, see e.g. here:

But his models are completely deterministic and local, so what he is proposing amounts to a local deterministic hidden variable models and a necessary ingredient in these models has to be that they are superdeterministic (i.e. the observer has no freedom to choose how to set up his experiments; the fact that he/she is deterministic too cannot be ignored). In later papers 't Hooft has argued why superdeterminism is a natural feature of any deterministic model:

That is an interesting idea that superdeterminism could save locality. However, even though local superdeterminism can explain existing experiments, I think that local superdeterminism cannot reproduce ALL conceivable predictions of quantum mechanics. For example, the principles of quantum mechanics allow entangled states of systems that have NEVER been in local interaction, in which case there is no local mechanism that could provide instructions for non-free experimenters how to set up their experiments in order to get quantum-like correlations.

Anyway, Bohmian mechanics assumes that everything, including the human braines and arms, is described by deterministic equations of motion. Hence, it is not only deterministic, but also superdeterministic. Yet, it is a nonlocal theory.

Count Iblis said:

Thanks very much. I do find the claim that particles are not real but I don't find any mention of fields as mere computational devices in the path integral approach in these papers. Do I need to look at his earlier work to find this and the fact that only external lines are "real" in the computation of amplitudes?

I ask because I'm writing a paper wherein I use discrete path integrals over graphs as a model fundamental to quantum physics and the mathematical approach I'm using captures essentially these same claims, so I need to cite him if he's already made these claims in his approach. Thanks again.

If I develop a theory to describe the average behavior of a hive of bees (that is, a theory to describe how the swarm acts), and move on to study a single bee, I might see some similarities in the behavior of a single bee and the behavior of the swarm. But it would be illogical of me to insist that my swarm theory must be used as the founding theory in understanding the behavior of a single bee.

But that is exactly what we've done. "local" means a zero-length space-time interval, and "non-local" means a non-zero-length space-time interval. But "space-time" was learned and developed solely to describe the (classical) large scale, average behavior of many particles. By insisting particle-particle interactions occur in something called "space-time", we've found apparent paradoxes (entangled particles disobey the tenants of space-time). Yet even after seeing those paradoxes, we still insist space-time is the right foundation to understanding individual particle behavior! The fact that entangled particles clearly and blatantly disobey the tenants of space-time should make us realize we have no business insisting a theory learned solely from classical observation must unequivocally be the founding theory describing the behavior of individual particles. Yes, if we watch several particles interacting, we see things similar to the tenants of space-time, like the concepts of dimension (certain conserved quantities are orthogonal and can be transformed by processes similar to euclidean rotation), intervals, etc. But then several particles is a bit of a swarm, and thus a bit classical.

Entangled particles act like they are local because they are just as local as particles we classically consider local. That is, they are in the same situation as classically local particles--whatever that might be. The clincher seems to be that the particles are entangled only while there is no interaction with the rest of the universe. (Classically) local particles find it easier to behave that way because they need not remain closed as long, because they are so close. So its really a matter of closed and open, not local and non-local.

Adrian59 said:
I have one problem with MWI, though I accept I may be looking at it too literally. The original MWI was devised to explain the double slit experiment conundrum. So the one photon goes through each slit but in different worlds. Not to upset causality or the conservation of mass or energy, each world only sees one photon – no problem. However now each photon is in a parallel world (universe), why does interference happen?

The answer to this might depend on what you choose to think of as a separate world. Usually those who adheer to the many-worlds interpretation would consider the worlds "splitting" only after wave function collapse. If we choose this definition, then when the photon goes through the slits, we could say that it has split into several copies of itself, each being "less than real" (we could call them ghost particles). But each of these copies is still within the same "world" and that's the reason you can see interference.
The other approach would be to consider each "copy" of the photon to be in a different world. But in that case we would have to consider these worlds as being part of "our world". So you could say that it is the superposition of these different worlds that make up your world. But as I said before, I don't think this is the standard way of thinking about it (which nevertheless does not mean that it has less merit or potential than the more standard MWI thinking. It seems that this is only a different use of words, but some times trivial things like the use of words can have some influence in our thinking process. So I wouldn't dismiss it as irrelevant.

alexepascual said:
Usually those who adheer to the many-worlds interpretation would consider the worlds "splitting" only after wave function collapse. If we choose this definition, then when the photon goes through the slits, we could say that it has split into several copies of itself, each being "less than real" (we could call them ghost particles). But each of these copies is still within the same "world" and that's the reason you can see interference.
The other approach would be to consider each "copy" of the photon to be in a different world. But in that case we would have to consider these worlds as being part of "our world". So you could say that it is the superposition of these different worlds that make up your world... It seems that this is only a different use of words, but some times trivial things like the use of words can have some influence in our thinking process.

Thanks for the reply alexepascual since I thought my comment had been lost in the general discussion, hence my delay in responding. However I still think that the MWI doesn't do what it set out do do since in your first suggestion one has to insert collapsing waves which obviously gets us back to the Copenhagen interpretation. Also, I can see no difference between ghost waves & probability waves which I thought the MWI was trying to avoid. The second suggestion is that the parallel worlds are not truly separate but different states that result in a superpostion but this also seems like back to square one & probability waves.

No, modern MWI does not include any collapse at all.
'Splitting' is explained via Quantum Decoherence , so no additional postulates are needed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_decoherence

This is a beauty of MWI - no mysterious collapse.

There are many misconceptions about the undecidable statements in physics

For example, well known Conway Game of Life
Rules are simple and deterministic
And yet there are undecidable statements about the outcomes!

Dmitry67 said:
No, modern MWI does not include any collapse at all.
'Splitting' is explained via Quantum Decoherence , so no additional postulates are needed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_decoherence

This is a beauty of MWI - no mysterious collapse.

Thanks for the reply. I would agree with your dislike of collapsing waves though I still need convincing that MWI is the best interpretation. I followed your link to wiki. The paragraph using phase space explained everything to me & the following maths only confirmed this since the first equation seemed to encapsulate the whole argument because the system ket was expanded in basis states of the environment <i |ψ>. Though on a more general point, I understood that decoherence can be considered an interpretation of QM in its own right so what MWI adds is questionable to me. Or put another way, I see it as a minimizing the adversities: does MWI give enough to the interpretation of QM in return for having to put up with infinite parallel worlds.

Adrian59 said:
Thanks for the reply. I would agree with your dislike of collapsing waves though I still need convincing that MWI is the best interpretation. I followed your link to wiki. The paragraph using phase space explained everything to me & the following maths only confirmed this since the first equation seemed to encapsulate the whole argument because the system ket was expanded in basis states of the environment <i |ψ>. Though on a more general point, I understood that decoherence can be considered an interpretation of QM in its own right so what MWI adds is questionable to me. Or put another way, I see it as a minimizing the adversities: does MWI give enough to the interpretation of QM in return for having to put up with infinite parallel worlds.

Adrian Kent gave an interesting talk at Perimeter last Sep, "Theory Confirmation in One World and its Failure in Many." In this talk he pointed out that, if MWI is true, one cannot be sure what the true probablility is for any given experiment because one doesn't know where they reside in the multiverse. Consider, for example, a simple binary outcome (call it + or -) with a "true" probability of 50% either way. If MWI is correct, there is a world (call it A) in which the experiment always comes out + and a world (call it B) in which the outcome is always -, with all other combinations realized between these extremes. Only those worlds "in the middle" would be able to deduce something close to the "true" probability, but they wouldn't "know" it. Consider two poor theorists in worlds A and B who deduce the correct theory of QM and predict the "true" 50% probability distribution. Their "correct" theories are refuted and they die in poverty and disgrace :cry: To what extent can we do science in a multiverse?

Adrian59 said:

What is interesting is that Quantum Decoherence (QD) is mathematical fact and can not be denied, no matter if one likes or hates MWI. So Copenhagen Int. now have not one, but 2 different 'agents' for collapse: old CI collapse and New QD. Which makes CI a total mess. Well, it was quite a mess even before the discovery of QD.

Regarding your last statement, if sounds like you see the existence of another branches as something 'bad'. People tend to critisize MWI for having extra worlds using occams razor argument. But on the contrary, occams razor must be used to justify the elimination of some worlds based on the random or unknown rule!

Finally, there is still one problem with MWI: Born rule. Based on the discussions here I see that Born rule must be reformulated to be used in MWI, because there is no such thing in MWI as 'probability', because it is deterministic. But I can not answer the question what is a physical meaning of the what we used to call a probability in MWI. Or, using RUTA's example, why are we observing a world 'in the middle'

Albert V said:
I would argue for "shut up and calculate!"Two recent papers show the relationship between mathematical undecidable propositions and randomness.

View attachment 20068

View attachment 20069

I just looked at these papers... and I'm sorry, but they are just completely wrong. Analytic propositions can't be proven a posteriori. Experiments can't serve as mathematical proofs.

Or maybe I missed the point of the papers.

Last edited:
Dmitry67 said:
What is interesting is that Quantum Decoherence (QD) is mathematical fact and can not be denied, no matter if one likes or hates MWI. So Copenhagen Int. now have not one, but 2 different 'agents' for collapse: old CI collapse and New QD. Which makes CI a total mess. Well, it was quite a mess even before the discovery of QD.

I don't agree with this argument for CI beeing a mess.

The collapse vs decoherence are simply two different views. The inside view, vs the external view. So there is no surprise they are different. Note that in the decoherence view, there is an imagine massive observer. Sometimes you can say that the entire environment is an observer, or that there is a birds view.

Now if I have to choose between a birds view and a collapse, then it's easy. The birds view is IMHO a non-physical view. The collapse OTOH is a physical inside view where there is a rational revision of the observer state as a response to feedback from the environment (=new information).

SO IMO, docoherence and collapse are not competing against each others, and I see no contradiction at this level of discusssion.

/Fredrik

Dmitry67 said:
Regarding your last statement, if sounds like you see the existence of another branches as something 'bad'. People tend to critisize MWI for having extra worlds using occams razor argument. But on the contrary, occams razor must be used to justify the elimination of some worlds based on the random or unknown rule!

I wouldn't say that MWI was "bad" for postulating other universes just that, as there is no experimental evidence of any universe other than the one we're in, so MWI remains pure conjecture. Of course this may all change if the LHC shows evidence for hidden dimensions / universes (if there is a way to know the difference). However, one has to be compatable with the current evidence base & as such MWI is just a theoretical device. So for that reason alone, I am not in favour any QM interpretation that adds unobserved elements to nature, eg MWI, backwards transmitted waves (if this still is a contender).

Fra said:
I don't agree with this argument for CI beeing a mess.

The collapse vs decoherence are simply two different views. The inside view, vs the external view. So there is no surprise they are different. Note that in the decoherence view, there is an imagine massive observer. Sometimes you can say that the entire environment is an observer, or that there is a birds view.

Now if I have to choose between a birds view and a collapse, then it's easy. The birds view is IMHO a non-physical view. The collapse OTOH is a physical inside view where there is a rational revision of the observer state as a response to feedback from the environment (=new information).

SO IMO, docoherence and collapse are not competing against each others, and I see no contradiction at this level of discusssion.
First, decoherence is an experimental fact. Thus, it is not only an external view, but an inside view as well.

Second, decoherence is not a substitute for the collapse. Decoherence alone (which is both theoretically well understood and experimentally confirmed) cannot explain the appearance of collapse. Decoherence can only determine the preferred basis in which the collapse will appear, but cannot explain the collapse itself.

Demystifier said:
Decoherence alone (which is both theoretically well understood and experimentally confirmed) cannot explain the appearance of collapse. Decoherence can only determine the preferred basis in which the collapse will appear, but cannot explain the collapse itself.

On the contrary, given the basis (arbitrary chosen) QD explains what is 'observed' by the system (the division of the Universe into systems is also an input). I agree that it is still recursive, but at the moment this is the best we can do. Why?

1. MWI+QD gets rids of any mysterious 'collapse agents'
2. From bird's view, world is Objective and Deterministic.

The problems starts when we try to go to the frog's view, to explain, "what is observed". But "What is observed" is not a complete question, the question have a free parameter: "What is observed by system(X)"? So you can not ask that question without specifying the X.

But by specifying X you divide the whole Universe into X and not-X and define that basis. I agree that there are sill some problems, because the state of system X is different in each sub-branch, so non only the notion of branch is basis-dependent, but also we need to redefine the basis after each act of decoherence. So ti is recursive.

But the *fundamental laws* of QM (in birds view) are not recursive

I'm partial to the Quantum Bayesians. (See work by Christopher Fuchs et al on arxiv.org).
I'm not sure I understand it all but, the basic tenets make things like Bell's Theorem much less bizarre. The tenets I am speaking of are use of prior and post probabilities. In general, I like the idea that it's information and one's use of that information that is being transferred in Quantum Mechanical interactions. In the present case, information is a fundamental physical property.

To demystifier: I don't deny decoherence as such. My comments was addressed to Dmitry's reasoning with bird views. It's also true that there are decoherence like processes also in inside views, but I think that is somehow beside the point I tried to make in relation to Dmitry's reasoning. Also to me the collapse is simply a information update, there is no need for further explanation beyond that IMO. Except of course to elaborate what information is, and how it relates to matter and how information processes in nature relate to the standard model interactions. I don't have those answers though :)

Dmitry67 said:
But the *fundamental laws* of QM (in birds view) are not recursive

But wouldn't you agree that the process of inferring these laws from experience / interaction history, by means of a scientific method is recursive?

This is one of my objection to the birds views, and other forms of realism. There are modern forms of realism that are no like the old classical realism, but are often called structural realism, implicit often in the "reality of timeless laws".

IMO, I don't find these kind of birds views of realism consistent with beeing inferred from a scientific process. And IMO, a scientific process has a lot in common with any physical process (ie. measurement process).

/Fredrik

karatemonkey said:
I'm partial to the Quantum Bayesians. (See work by Christopher Fuchs et al on arxiv.org).
I'm not sure I understand it all but, the basic tenets make things like Bell's Theorem much less bizarre. The tenets I am speaking of are use of prior and post probabilities. In general, I like the idea that it's information and one's use of that information that is being transferred in Quantum Mechanical interactions. In the present case, information is a fundamental physical property.

I'm reasonably close the bayesian view, but I think I'm even more radical, becuase a central thing in interence is the choice of rule for information the update. There are several ways here, bayes rule, but also various maxent rules with various choices of entropy. I think the rule for the information update is evolving, and it's exactly this that's subject to evolution.

In my view the question becomes, why are certain inference rules preferred over others? I think an inference rule can only be justfied ina context. Different contexts favours different rules of inference.

This also means I do not think there exists an objective, universal information measure.

/Fredrik

Fra said:
But wouldn't you agree that the process of inferring these laws from experience / interaction history, by means of a scientific method is recursive?
/Fredrik

Yes, there is a minimum level of complexity of a system to be able to ask 'how system X observes the Universe'. You can not apply this questions to atoms, molecules, of very small systems. So while BIRD is Universum we don't need to define (and there is only one bird), FROG must be defined, and FROG is fuzzy, complicated system built of billions parts.

Dmitry67 said:
Yes, there is a minimum level of complexity of a system to be able to ask 'how system X observes the Universe'. You can not apply this questions to atoms, molecules, of very small systems.

In my view you can, but the question is exactly what happens to this inference process and the abstractions as the host system complexity scales down.

My conjecture is that as you go from incredibly complex systems, to simple ones, the inference processes formulated relative to the small systems, becomes the elementary physical interactions.

And unification of interactions, can be thought of in this picture as the indistinguishability between the interaction types, as the host systems scales to the most simple.

Dmitry67 said:
So while BIRD is Universum we don't need to define (and there is only one bird), FROG must be defined, and FROG is fuzzy, complicated system built of billions parts.

A given frog, do not need to define exactly all other frogs. From the poitn of view of a frog the prime decomposition is the self, and the environment. In the environment there are several possible decompositions of "other frogs", the preferred picture here is part of the game, and no a priori sharp definition is needed to play this game.

If you just look at nature, biology, human science, physical equilibrations, cosmology etc is it not in fact quite plasuble that the best description of nature and how it works IS in fact "recursive" as you put it? I call it evolving but that's just another word for the same thing.

/Fredrik

Fra said:
If you just look at nature, biology, human science, physical equilibrations, cosmology etc is it not in fact quite plasuble that the best description of nature and how it works IS in fact "recursive" as you put it? I call it evolving but that's just another word for the same thing. /Fredrik

Fra,

Your post reminds me very much of David Bohm's view of QM. Check out: http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/bohmphysics.htm ( Bohm, D. (1990) `A New Theory of the Relationship of Mind and Matter', Philosophical Psychology 3: 271--86. )

Highlights:

We have thus been led to an extension of the notion of implicate order, in which we have a series of inter-related levels in which the more subtle-I.e. 'the more finely woven' levels including thought, feeling and physical reactions-both unfold and enfold those that are less subtle (i.e. 'more coarsely woven'). In this series, the mental side corresponds, of course, to what is more subtle and the physical side to what is less subtle. And each mental side in turn becomes a physical side as we move in the direction of greater subtlety.
Finally, we may ask how we can understand this theory if the subtle levels are carried to infinity. Does the goal of comprehension constantly recede as we try to do this? I suggest that the appearance of such a recession is in essence just a feature of our language, which tends to give too much emphasis to the analytic side of our thought processes.
But the deeper reality is something beyond either mind or matter, both of which are only aspects that serve as terms for analysis [1].

Adrian59 said:
Thanks for the reply alexepascual since I thought my comment had been lost in the general discussion, hence my delay in responding. However I still think that the MWI doesn't do what it set out do do since in your first suggestion one has to insert collapsing waves which obviously gets us back to the Copenhagen interpretation. Also, I can see no difference between ghost waves & probability waves which I thought the MWI was trying to avoid. The second suggestion is that the parallel worlds are not truly separate but different states that result in a superpostion but this also seems like back to square one & probability waves.

I think Dmitry has made this clear for you now. I think I didn't express myself clearly. What I meant is that the "splitting" happens at the point at which the standard interpretation would say that there was a collapse. It is true that MWI claims that there is no collapse, and this is simply because all the treads are supposed to continue their separate ways and each one continues to "exist" in the "multiverse" which includes all the worlds. In other interpretations, only one thread survives and all others cease to exist. I think it might happen that someone who likes the MWI may eventually discover something that those who prefer other interpretations would miss just because they are discarding the "other worlds" (real or not).
I think MWI provides a simpler explanation to many of the paradoxes of QM compared to other interpretations. But given the fact that there is no experiment so far that can distinguish, I think for the moment it is a mater of taste which interpretation you choose.

I remember there is also partial decoherence.
For me this is a proof that MWI is true.
Branches don't get split instantly: we can observe how other branches disappear gradually.

Fra said:
I'm reasonably close the bayesian view, but I think I'm even more radical, becuase a central thing in interence is the choice of rule for information the update. There are several ways here, bayes rule, but also various maxent rules with various choices of entropy. I think the rule for the information update is evolving, and it's exactly this that's subject to evolution.

/Fredrik

First sorry, for not getting back sooner. And even more sorry for skming the rest of the thread so fast, got really busy at work.

Second, in reference to the above quote, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. So, let me ask another question to help me understand. Isn't "the rule for information update evolving" exactly what happens in the process of measurement and the predictions of the density matrix's when that is repeated?

On "no objective reality", I have a hard time not believing that there isn't an object reality because we can come up with a consensus on reality. We all may different views of what it is but, there is something there. That and we can share a description of physics, agree on it's ability to predict, and perform and report results, (in the future no less) of experiments seems to indicate that there is something outside of our selves.

And finally for the philosophers, I've just spent weeks on a problem trying to solve it. Why, if I am in my own little world, do I make mistakes? I like myself, why do I torture myself. :) (Ok that was tongue in cheek, I couldn't resist)

Dmitry67 said:
I remember there is also partial decoherence.
For me this is a proof that MWI is true.
Then your standards aren't very high.

karatemonkey said:
So, let me ask another question to help me understand. Isn't "the rule for information update evolving" exactly what happens in the process of measurement and the predictions of the density matrix's when that is repeated?

Yes, the information update is the state change during interactions. But IMO there is no given static state space, sometimes the state space is also updated.

In my view a measurement process is an action followed by a reaction followed by an internal information update. The internatl information update is the revision of the observers state and microstructure in response to the reaction from the environment. This microstructure and microstate encodes the observers action.

In the same sense, the action of a proton, is encodes in the microstructure and microstate of the proton. But this is continously challanged by the environment.

For example I don't acknowledge the concept of observer independent hilbert spaces. Instead the effective objectivity we undoubtedly do witness, is a result (in my view) of an evolutionary equilibration process. Ie. a local objectivity is emergent when systems are interacting - rather than beeing fundamental in some realist sense.

karatemonkey said:
On "no objective reality", I have a hard time not believing that there isn't an object reality because we can come up with a consensus on reality. We all may different views of what it is but, there is something there. That and we can share a description of physics, agree on it's ability to predict, and perform and report results, (in the future no less) of experiments seems to indicate that there is something outside of our selves.

I think there are degrees of objectivity. But there is no timless universal objective static objectivity, or more correctly, I see no evidence for it. I do not ban it, I just don't presume it. There is a difference there.

/Fredrik

karatemonkey said:
I have a hard time not believing that there isn't an object reality because we can come up with a consensus on reality.

Yes, but "coming up with" is to me a physical inference process involving time. This is why I see emergent consensus among communicating/interacting systems. Any objective reality beyond what's "communicated" is not scientifically justified in my view.

/Fredrik

I think a common response to that is that for communication to make sense, there must exists an real objective communication channel. This is where I differ. The communication channels, are emergent along with the process, where the observer evolves. This translates into the standard forms with a belief that matter and spacetime must emerge together. You don't need one first, to make sense out of the other. Both can evolve together from a point where no one can distinguish them.

/Fredrik

Fra said:
Any objective reality beyond what's "communicated" is not scientifically justified in my view.

It's amazing how someone can consistently sound like Bohm in one sentence and Bohr in the next :smile:.

in our description of nature the purpose is not to disclose the real essence of the phenomena but only to track down, so far as it is possible, relations between the manifold and aspects of our experience.

Niels Bohr. Atomic Theory and the Description of Nature. (London: Cambridge University Press, 1934) 18.​

But then again, the only basic difference I can find between Bohr and Bohm is that Bohm says we can only call the manifold real (or deeply real anyways) while Bohr allows aspects of our experience to be called real (in the deepest sense).

Last edited:
karatemonkey said:
On "no objective reality", I have a hard time not believing that there isn't an object reality because we can come up with a consensus on reality. We all may different views of what it is but, there is something there.

Isn't that having it both ways? Some elements are objective: perhaps the *existence* of a particle/wave. But the facts say that what we see is consistent with an observer-dependent reality. I don't see the consensus. What we see is dependent on what we look for.

hello all (first post here!)

I have an issue with the MWI that I didn't see while skiming through this thread, and that regards energy conservation. It seems to me very strange that the outcome of any quantum experiment would create a new world, simply because of the fact that this new world and all the people that live their lives knowing a different result of the experiment than we, has to be sustained by some energy.

If new worlds keeps being created, and we assume that energy conservation is valid with respect to the whole universe, then where does the energy to sustain the new worlds come from? Although I haven't seen this answered anywhere, it seems to obvious a question to have been ignored, so I've probably just missed it. But still, I would appreciate to get an answer on it.