Intersecting 2 continuous laser in thin air to create a dot

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an experiment where multiple continuous wave laser beams intersect in thin air. The speaker plans to use a simple laser diode with continuous wave instead of pulsed wave. They are asking if the intersection point will be brighter and for suggestions before investing resources into the experiment. The conversation also mentions the use of smoke in laser shows to make the laser track visible and the potential dangers of using high laser power to make the air glow. It is suggested that two UV beams could potentially create a non-linear effect at their intersection point.
GregoriusGery
I am planning on making an experiment about intersecting continuous wave laser from 2 or more source on 1 point in thin air. The laser i am planning to use is the simple laser diode, pumped with continuous wave, instead of using pulsed wave as in the usual laser pointer as i don't need it to reach a great distance.
What I'm asking is would the intersection point be brighter then the initial source of laser? like twice as bright if I use 2 source, or 3x as bright if i use 3 source?
I'm hoping for suggestions here before I started to put money and energy into building this experiment.

Science news on Phys.org
What happens along the path of a normal laser beam in thin air? Do you see anything? Why do you expect to see something when you cross two laser beams?

Gigaz said:
What happens along the path of a normal laser beam in thin air? Do you see anything? Why do you expect to see something when you cross two laser beams?
as i know, if you put enough power to it, the diode can emit laser which tracks is visible, like in laser show
please do correct me if I'm wrong

GregoriusGery said:
as i know, if you put enough power to it, the diode can emit laser which tracks is visible, like in laser show
please do correct me if I'm wrong

In a laser show, the room is filled with smoke to make the laser track visible. It would be incredibly dangerous if they'd use enough Laser power to make the air glow. If you are somewhat good at physics you can probably calculate the laser power that you need to see the Thomson scattering of air molecules. I would expect that it is really large and probably in the thermal blooming regime where you instead see a glowing plasma.

Perhaps two UV beams could beat where they cross in a non linear medium. Get the frequencies right for an optical difference frequency.

1. How does intersecting 2 continuous lasers in thin air create a dot?

The intersecting of two continuous lasers in thin air creates a dot by causing the beams to interfere with each other, resulting in a bright spot at the point of intersection.

2. Can any type of laser be used for this experiment?

Yes, any type of laser with a continuous beam can be used for this experiment as long as they have similar wavelengths.

3. How thin does the air have to be for the intersecting lasers to create a visible dot?

The air does not have to be extremely thin for the dot to be visible, but it should be relatively free of particles that could scatter or block the laser beams.

4. Is there a specific angle at which the lasers need to intersect to create a dot?

Yes, the lasers should intersect at a specific angle to create a visible dot. This angle is dependent on the wavelength of the lasers and can be calculated using the formula: angle = (wavelength/2)*sin^-1(distance between beams).

5. What are some practical applications of intersecting two continuous lasers in thin air to create a dot?

This technique can be used for aligning and calibrating optical devices, creating laser pointers, and even as a form of communication for long distances in clear air or space.