What Is the Interval of Convergence for the Series Summation?

In summary, the radius of convergence for the given series is 1 and the interval of convergence is [-1,1). The alternating series test should not be used for the left side of the interval, instead the ratio test should be used. Additionally, the inequality for the right side should be reversed when using the squeeze divergence test.
uber_kim

Homework Statement

Find the radius and the interval of convergence for the series:

Ʃ((-1)nxn)/(4nlnn) with sum n=2 to ∞.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm testing for the left and right side of the interval. I've found that cn=1/(lnn), an=1/4, and R=1. I used the alternating series test to check the left side, ((-1)n)/(ln(n)). It passed the decreasing in magnitude and the terms to 0 test, so converges absolutely. The right side, 1/(lnn) > 1/n, so diverges to infinity by squeeze divergence. So the interval would be [-1,1). I'm pretty confident on everything except for the left and right side convergence. Is it correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach to finding the radius and interval of convergence for the given series is correct. However, there are a few minor errors in your calculations. Firstly, the alternating series test is only applicable for series with positive terms, so it should not be used for the left side of the interval. Instead, you can use the ratio test to show that the series converges absolutely for x=-1. For the right side, you are correct in using the squeeze divergence test, but the inequality should be reversed, i.e. 1/(lnn) < 1/n. This is because as n approaches infinity, the denominator (lnn) increases faster than the numerator (1). Therefore, the interval of convergence is [-1,1).

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Keep up the good work!

Related to What Is the Interval of Convergence for the Series Summation?

What is an interval of convergence?

An interval of convergence is a range of values for which a given mathematical series will converge, or approach a finite value. It is typically expressed as a range of values for the variable in the series.

How is an interval of convergence determined?

An interval of convergence is determined by evaluating the limit of the series as the variable approaches its boundary values. If the limit exists and is finite for both boundary values, then the series will converge within that interval.

What happens if the limit of a series at the boundary values is infinite?

If the limit of the series at the boundary values is infinite, then the series will not converge within that interval. In this case, the interval of convergence will be the range of values between the boundary values where the series does converge.

Can the interval of convergence change?

Yes, the interval of convergence can change if the series is manipulated or altered in some way. For example, multiplying a series by a constant or taking the derivative may result in a different interval of convergence.

What is the significance of the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is important because it allows us to determine the range of values for which a series will converge. This can help us to determine the validity and usefulness of a given mathematical series.