Interview with a Mentor: Drakkith - Comments

In summary, Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post featuring an interview with Drakkith, a mentor who shares his experiences and insights. Drakkith recommends trying the Eisenhorn trilogy by Dan Abnett for Warhammer books. They also discuss their shared experiences and Drakkith's future plans, with the possibility of pursuing graduate school after securing a job in Optical Engineering.
Drakkith
Mentor
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Interview with a Mentor: Drakkith
drak.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• drak.png
    drak.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 859
Likes cnh1995, OmCheeto, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice write up! Sounds like youve had some great experiences. Thank you for your service.

Likes Drakkith
I never thought much about Warhammer books. Maybe I'll have to give them a try. Which to try first?

Likes Drakkith
Greg Bernhardt said:
I never thought much about Warhammer books. Maybe I'll have to give them a try. Which to try first?

Anything by Dan Abnett. Try the Eisenhorn trilogy, it's fantastic!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
.." My school was so small..."( How small was it?) I was expecting the punchline to joke... . Still, cool story and good job their at the AF and here at PF!

Likes Drakkith
Thanks for sharing some of your history. I can relate to several of your experiences. e.g. "Living" at the University studying and doing homework.
I hope you will still be active here after you get your Optical Engineering degree. Do you have any plans for graduate school?

dlgoff said:
Do you have any plans for graduate school?
Not at the moment, no.

Drakkith said:
Not at the moment, no.

You can work on that after you get *the* job and let your employer handle the expenses. I know you can do it. :smile:

Likes dlgoff and Drakkith

What is the purpose of this interview?

The purpose of this interview is to gain insight into the experiences and perspectives of a successful mentor in the scientific community, Drakkith.

What is Drakkith's background in science?

Drakkith has a PhD in physics and has worked in various research and teaching positions in the field for over a decade. He has also published multiple papers and has a passion for science communication.

What advice does Drakkith have for aspiring scientists?

According to Drakkith, it is important for aspiring scientists to have a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills. He also emphasizes the importance of networking, seeking mentorship, and being persistent in pursuing research opportunities.

How does Drakkith balance his research and teaching responsibilities?

Drakkith explains that time management and prioritization are key in balancing his research and teaching responsibilities. He also highlights the importance of delegating tasks and seeking support from colleagues and students.

What challenges has Drakkith faced in his career as a scientist?

Drakkith shares that some of the biggest challenges he has faced include securing funding for research projects and dealing with setbacks and failures in experiments. He also mentions the pressure to publish and the competitive nature of the field as challenges.