Interview with Physics Mentor: Stevendaryl - Comments

In summary, TheAdmin submitted a new PF Insights post featuring an interview with physics mentor Stevendaryl. They discussed a variety of topics, including their preferences for Jewish food, their experience with physics literature, and their background as a Wildcat at Northwestern University. They also shared their love for the movie Groundhog Day and mentioned reading "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra during their teenage years.
TheAdmin submitted a new PF Insights post

Interview with Physics Mentor: Stevendaryl

steven.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes DennisN, Demystifier, kith and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't had much jewish food, but after looking at images of latkes and rugelach my stomach is rumbling!

I enjoyed the "anything breaded and fried" comment! I live in the south too, and not coincidentally a decent amount of my research involves liver fat measurement. We call the condition "bojangleosis"

Really liked your history. Wow. A Wildcat! What years were you at Northwestern? Some of my classmates from college went there for graduate school. The campus and the nearness to Chicago are very nice.

Groundhog day is also one of my favorites.

I have also read “The Tao of Physics” by Fritjof Capra, when I was in my teens and because I for some reason was interested in taoism. I can't remember anything from it, in fact I remember more of taoism in general than physics from Capra... And it's not in my bookshelf anymore, it went to a charity second hand store when I optimized my book collection :biggrin:. I have to add that it is not the most embarassing book I have read in the folly of my youth... :blushing: ...that book won't be mentioned here...

1. What inspired you to become a physicist?

I have always been fascinated by how the physical world works and the laws that govern it. In high school, I took a physics class and was immediately drawn to the subject. From then on, I knew I wanted to pursue a career in physics and contribute to our understanding of the universe.

2. What advice do you have for aspiring physicists?

My advice would be to never stop asking questions and to always challenge yourself. Physics is a constantly evolving field, so it's important to stay curious and keep learning. Also, don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them. It's all part of the scientific process.

3. How do you stay motivated and overcome challenges in your research?

Research in physics can be challenging and it's easy to get discouraged. To stay motivated, I remind myself of the bigger picture and the impact my research can have on our understanding of the world. I also surround myself with a supportive and collaborative team, which helps to overcome challenges together.

4. Can you tell us about a particularly exciting moment in your career as a physicist?

One of the most exciting moments in my career was when I was part of a team that discovered a new subatomic particle. It was a huge breakthrough in our understanding of particle physics and it was incredibly rewarding to be a part of such a groundbreaking discovery.

5. What do you hope to see in the future of physics?

I hope to see continued advancements and breakthroughs in our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. I also hope to see more diversity and inclusivity in the field, as different perspectives and backgrounds can lead to new and innovative ideas. Additionally, I hope that physics can continue to be accessible and inspire future generations of scientists.