Intrinsic derivative of constant vector field along a curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the contravariant component of a vector field that is constant along a trajectory and shows that the intrinsic derivative is equal to 0. The solution involves using equations and attempts to prove the concept, leading to the conclusion that the intrinsic derivative is indeed 0.
harmyder

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##T_i## is the contravariant component of a vector field ##\mathbf{T}## that is constant along the trajectory ##\gamma.## Show that intrinsic derivative is ##0.##

Homework Equations

$$\frac{\delta T_i}{\delta t} = \frac{dT^i}{dt}+V^j\Gamma^i_{jk}T^k$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\begin{align}\mathbf{T} = T^i \mathbb{Z}_i\\T^i = \frac{d\mathbf{T}}{dZ_i}\label{ti}\end{align}$$
But from ##\ref{ti}## i see that ##T_i=0.## Probably, ##\ref{ti}## is wrong.

Another attempt:)
$$\begin{align}
\mathbf{T} &= T^i \mathbb{Z}_i\\
\mathbf{T}\cdot\mathbb{Z}^i &= T^i\\
\frac{dT^i}{dt}&= \frac{d\mathbf{T}}{dt}\mathbb{Z}^i + \mathbf{T}\frac{\partial\mathbb{Z}^i}{\partial Z^j}\frac{dZ^j}{dt}\\
&=-\mathbf{T}\Gamma^i_{jk}\mathbb{Z}^k\frac{dZ^j}{dt}\\
&=-\mathbf{T}\mathbb{Z}^k\Gamma^i_{jk} V^j\\
&=-T^k\Gamma^i_{jk}V^j
\end{align}$$

OMH, looks like i have solved it while writing it here. Just need a confirmation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, $$\frac{\delta T_i}{\delta t} = \frac{dT^i}{dt}+V^j\Gamma^i_{jk}T^k=-T^k\Gamma^i_{jk}V^j+V^j\Gamma^i_{jk}T^k=0$$

1. What is an intrinsic derivative?

An intrinsic derivative is a measure of how a quantity changes along a curve in a space, independent of the coordinate system used. It takes into account the curvature and orientation of the curve, rather than just the change in coordinates.

2. What is a constant vector field?

A constant vector field is a vector field where the magnitude and direction of the vectors do not change at different points in space. This means that the vectors are parallel and evenly spaced, and they do not vary in length or direction.

3. How is the intrinsic derivative of a constant vector field calculated along a curve?

The intrinsic derivative of a constant vector field along a curve is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the tangent vector of the curve at each point. This dot product is then integrated along the curve to get the total change of the vector field along the curve.

4. Why is the intrinsic derivative important?

The intrinsic derivative is important because it allows us to measure how a quantity changes along a curve in a way that is independent of the coordinate system used. This is useful in situations where the coordinate system may vary or be difficult to define, such as in curved spaces or non-Euclidean geometries.

5. How is the concept of intrinsic derivative used in physics?

The concept of intrinsic derivative is used in various areas of physics, such as in the study of motion in curved spaces, general relativity, and fluid dynamics. It allows for a more accurate and consistent understanding of how physical quantities change along curves, regardless of the coordinate system used.