Intro to analysis, intro to real analysis I, numerical analysis

In summary: At the small college where I used to teach, it's the appropriate department chairman who makes those decisions. When a student wants to take a course somewhere else over the summer, or online, he/she fills out a "Transient Permission Form" that lists the course names and numbers "here" and "there", asks the dept. chair (math in your case) to evaluate the course "there" and sign the form, and then submits it to the registrar. Sometimes the registrar gets it first and forwards it to the dept. chair. Either way, the dept. chair has to evaluate the course. I had to do a lot of these during my turns as physics dept. chair.
TracieBosket
Hello,
Is there a difference from these courses, or are they the same course with different names? I need to know which one to choose for the upcoming semester...
Intro to Analysis, Intro to Real Analysis I, and Numerical Analysis
Thank you,
Tracie

Physics news on Phys.org
TracieBosket said:
Hello,
Is there a difference from these courses, or are they the same course with different names? I need to know which one to choose for the upcoming semester...
Thank you,
Tracie

Numerical Analysis is related to finding numerical approximations to analytically unsolvable differential equations, integrals , etc..

Real Analysis is concerned with studying real numbers and real-valued functions.

Real Analysis is a branch of Pure Maths whereas Numerical Analysis is generally considered in Applied Maths.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Buffu said:
Numerical Analysis is related to finding numerical approximations to analytically unsolvable differential equations, integrals , etc..

Real Analysis is concerned with studying real numbers and real-valued functions.

Real Analysis is a branch of Pure Maths where Numerical Analysis is generally considered in Applied Maths.
And for the course "Intro to Analysis", it would be best if you showed us the syllabus.

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
And for the course "Intro to Analysis", it would be best if you showed us the syllabus.
Each of these ( and just-about every other Math subfield) is incredibly vast with a possible good amount of overlap. Best way is to do what Fact Checker here suggested to be able to find a reasonable answer to your question..

TracieBosket said:
Does your university's catalog or website have no descriptions at all for these courses? For example, the University of Michigan has this:

https://lsa.umich.edu/math/undergraduates/undergraduate-math-courses/300-level-math-courses.html

Click on the "+" sign next to a course name to see its description and prerequisites. Or click on one of the other sets of courses listed at the left side.

In the US, I would be astonished to find a university or college that does not have something like this. I don't know about other countries, though...

Last edited:
Buffu said:

Real Analysis is a branch of Pure Maths whereas Numerical Analysis is generally considered in Applied Maths.

Ah, thank you!

jtbell said:
Does your university's catalog or website have no descriptions at all for these courses? For example, the University of Michigan has this:

https://lsa.umich.edu/math/undergraduates/undergraduate-math-courses/300-level-math-courses.html

Click on the "+" sign next to a course name to see its description and prerequisites. Or click on one of the other sets of courses listed at the left side.

In the US, I would be astonished to find a university or college that does not have something like this. I don't know about other countries, though...
The challenge is that I need to take some classes from a university that offers online classes, to transfer to a different university that does not have online courses. I looked at the syllabi, everything looks similar, but some things look different. I want to make the best decision I can in order to take the correct ones.

TracieBosket said:
The challenge is that I need to take some classes from a university that offers online classes, to transfer to a different university that does not have online courses. I looked at the syllabi, everything looks similar, but some things look different.
So you want to receive credit for specific courses at your university, by taking (hopefully) equivalent courses at another university? There should be someone at your university that decides how closely the courses correspond to each other, and whether you should receive credit for them. It's probably not up to you!

At the small college where I used to teach, it's the appropriate department chairman who makes those decisions. When a student wants to take a course somewhere else over the summer, or online, he/she fills out a "Transient Permission Form" that lists the course names and numbers "here" and "there", asks the dept. chair (math in your case) to evaluate the course "there" and sign the form, and then submits it to the registrar. Sometimes the registrar gets it first and forwards it to the dept. chair. Either way, the dept. chair has to evaluate the course. I had to do a lot of these during my turns as physics dept. chair.

Different colleges and universities do these things differently, so you need to find out how it's done at your university.

Likes FactChecker
jtbell said:
So you want to receive credit for specific courses at your university, by taking (hopefully) equivalent courses at another university? There should be someone at your university that decides how closely the courses correspond to each other, and whether you should receive credit for them. It's probably not up to you!

At the small college where I used to teach, it's the appropriate department chairman who makes those decisions. When a student wants to take a course somewhere else over the summer, or online, he/she fills out a "Transient Permission Form" that lists the course names and numbers "here" and "there", asks the dept. chair (math in your case) to evaluate the course "there" and sign the form, and then submits it to the registrar. Sometimes the registrar gets it first and forwards it to the dept. chair. Either way, the dept. chair has to evaluate the course. I had to do a lot of these during my turns as physics dept. chair.

Different colleges and universities do these things differently, so you need to find out how it's done at your university.

Exactly, that is the second problem I am running into. They don't want to review the external courses until I try to transfer them. But the catch is that I don't know which external courses I should take so they will be transferable. A Catch 22. That's why I was trying to self-evaluate to see if the external syllabi matched as close as possible as the home university's syllabi. The form you mentioned "Transient Permission Form" is a great idea. I will email this idea to my university.
Wow, thanks!

1. What is the main purpose of Intro to Analysis?

The main purpose of Intro to Analysis is to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and techniques used in mathematical analysis. This includes topics such as functions, limits, continuity, and differentiation, which are essential for understanding advanced mathematical concepts.

2. How does Intro to Real Analysis differ from other introductory math courses?

Intro to Real Analysis focuses specifically on the study of real numbers and real-valued functions. It goes beyond the basic concepts of algebra and calculus and delves into the rigorous proofs and structures of real analysis.

3. What skills are necessary for success in a Numerical Analysis course?

To be successful in a Numerical Analysis course, students should have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and programming. They should also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical notation and terminology.

4. How is numerical analysis used in the real world?

Numerical analysis is widely used in various fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It involves the use of mathematical algorithms and computational methods to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions. Some common applications include numerical solutions to differential equations, optimization problems, and data analysis.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in analysis and numerical analysis?

Individuals with a strong understanding of analysis and numerical analysis have a wide range of career opportunities. They can pursue careers in fields such as data analysis, financial modeling, scientific research, and software development. Some specific job titles include data scientist, financial analyst, research analyst, and computational scientist.