Invariance of a volume element in phase space, What does it mean?

In summary, the invariance of the volume element is demonstrated by writing infinitesimal volume elements in terms of canonical transformations, which are related by the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian matrix. This means that if we have a canonical transformation, the infinitesimal volume elements are equal. The physical implications of this are seen in the phase flow of a Hamiltonian system and the Poincare recurrence theorem.
Maumas
Homework Statement
I have been reading the third edition of Classical Mechanics by Goldstein, in particular, chapter 9 Poisson Brackets and Other canonical invariants. And it is shown that the magnitude of a volume element is invariant. I can understand what it means mathematically, but what physical implications does it have?

I have been reading similar questions and noticed that this invariance is related to Liouville’s Theorem. But I do not understand the underlying physics.

Maybe someone can shed light on this issue
Relevant Equations
The invariance of this volume element is shown by writing the infinitesimal volume elements $$d\eta$$ and $$d\rho$$

$$d\eta=dq_1.....dq_ndp_1......dp_n$$

$$d\rho=dQ_1.......dQ_ndP_1....dP_n$$

and we know that both of them are related to each other by the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian matrix. So I do understand that if we have a canonical transformation $$d\eta=|M|d\rho$$ is $$d\eta=d\rho$$ but i do not know what it means physically.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maumas said:
but what physical implications does it have?
A phase flow of a Hamiltonian system consists of canonical transformations. Now see the Poincare recurrence theorem.

1. What is the concept of invariance of a volume element in phase space?

The invariance of a volume element in phase space refers to the preservation of the volume of a system in its phase space, even as the system evolves over time. This means that the volume of the system's possible states remains constant regardless of any changes in the system's parameters or variables.

2. How is the invariance of a volume element in phase space related to the laws of physics?

The invariance of a volume element in phase space is a fundamental principle in physics, known as Liouville's theorem. It is closely related to the conservation of energy and momentum, as it ensures that the total volume of possible states in a system remains constant, reflecting the conservation of these physical quantities.

3. Can you provide an example of invariance of a volume element in phase space?

One example of invariance of a volume element in phase space is the motion of a planet in orbit around a star. The volume of possible states for the planet, which includes its position and velocity, remains constant as it moves along its orbit, despite changes in its position and velocity over time.

4. How does the invariance of a volume element in phase space relate to chaos theory?

The invariance of a volume element in phase space is a key concept in chaos theory. It helps to explain the seemingly random behavior of chaotic systems, as the volume of possible states in these systems remains constant even as the system exhibits unpredictable behavior.

5. Why is the concept of invariance of a volume element in phase space important in the study of complex systems?

The invariance of a volume element in phase space is important in the study of complex systems because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of these systems over time. It provides a mathematical framework for studying the evolution of complex systems and can help us identify patterns and underlying principles in their behavior.