Inverse Laplace Transform and Court

In summary: Is my solution incorrect?In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse Laplace transform of a given equation, (4s+5) / (s^2 + 5s + 18.5). The solution involves finding the complex roots of the equation and using a method to transform it into a form of (s - w0)(s - w1) where w0 and w1 are the complex roots. The rational is then divided into two different rationals, (A)/(s -w0) + (B)/(s-w1), and the coefficients A and B are found. The final solution is expressed as 4e^{-2.5t}\cos(3.5 t) - \tfrac{
m_celikok

Homework Statement

I had a question in my midterm, it was to find inverse laplace tansform of:
(4s+5) / (s^2 + 5s + 18.5)

Where ^ denotes power.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer was to find the complex roots of equation (s^2 + 5s + 18.5) , by them transform it to form (s - w0)(s - w1) where w0 and w1 are complex roots of original equation. Then I divided the total rational (4s+5) / (s^2 + 5s + 18.5) into sum of two different rationals in form of (A)/(s -w0) + (B)/(s-w1). Found A and B and then solved each sum as different inverse laplaces. My solution was,
33jh576.gif

Yet my teacher insists this is not the solution and gave me a 0 from that question. I am going to take this to Court. Can you confirm my solution please?

Physics news on Phys.org
m_celikok said:

Homework Statement

I had a question in my midterm, it was to find inverse laplace tansform of:
(4s+5) / (s^2 + 5s + 18.5)

Where ^ denotes power.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer was to find the complex roots of equation (s^2 + 5s + 18.5) , by them transform it to form (s - w0)(s - w1) where w0 and w1 are complex roots of original equation. Then I divided the total rational (4s+5) / (s^2 + 5s + 18.5) into sum of two different rationals in form of (A)/(s -w0) + (B)/(s-w1). Found A and B and then solved each sum as different inverse laplaces. My solution was,
33jh576.gif

Yet my teacher insists this is not the solution and gave me a 0 from that question. I am going to take this to Court. Can you confirm my solution please?

Your solution is approximately equal to [tex]
4e^{-2.5t}\cos(3.5 t) - \tfrac{10}{7} e^{-2.5t}\sin(3.5 t)
[/tex] which can be obtained by completing the square in the denominator of the transform and using a table of transforms.

You should get some credit for having found a substantially correct answer by a correct method, but you really need to express the coefficients as exact fractions, not decimal approximations, and express the complex exponentials in terms of cosines and sines.

fractions

the coefficients are expressed as fractions in my paper i just calculated them from wolfram alpha to easily post here. also i noted at the end of my solution that e's in this solution can be expressed as cosine and sines through euler identity but i rathered not which is because i find this form clearer. this was an computer engineering , systems and signals course so no such rigor was required. my teacher is quite hostile towards me. thanks for your reply sir.

Last edited:
I would NOT try to factor the denominator. Instead, I would complete the square:
[tex]s^2+ 5s+ 18.5= s^2+ 5s+ \frac{25}{4}- \frac{25}{4}+ \frac{74}{5}= (s+ \frac{5}{2})^2+ \frac{49}{4}[/tex]

So [tex]\frac{4s+ 5}{s^2+ 5s+ 18.5}= 4\frac{s+ 5/2}{(s+ 5/2)^2+ (7/2)^2}+ \frac{10}{7}\frac{7/2}{(s+ 5/2)^2+ (7/2)^2}[/tex]
Which can be looked up in a table of transforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
I would NOT try to factor the denominator. Instead, I would complete the square:
[tex]s^2+ 5s+ 18.5= s^2+ 5s+ \frac{25}{4}- \frac{25}{4}+ \frac{74}{5}= (s+ \frac{5}{2})^2+ \frac{49}{4}[/tex]

So [tex]\frac{4s+ 5}{s^2+ 5s+ 18.5}= 4\frac{s+ 5/2}{(s+ 5/2)^2+ (7/2)^2}+ \frac{10}{7}\frac{7/2}{(s+ 5/2)^2+ (7/2)^2}[/tex]
Which can be looked up in a table of transforms.

Thanks for the reply. On the other hand the question here is not a "wouldn't". It is a "can/can't" question. Table way might be easier and cleaner which i agree too. But, does that invalidates my solution?

1. What is the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the complex frequency domain and transforms it back into its original form in the time domain. It is the reverse of the Laplace Transform and is often used in engineering and science to solve differential equations.

2. How is the Inverse Laplace Transform calculated?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is typically calculated using integral calculus. There are a variety of techniques and methods that can be used depending on the complexity of the function, including partial fraction decomposition, the method of residues, and the use of tables and formulas.

3. What is the significance of the Inverse Laplace Transform in court cases?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is often used in court cases involving scientific or engineering evidence. It can be used to analyze and interpret data from experiments or simulations, and to understand the behavior of complex systems. It is also used to model and predict outcomes in legal cases, such as determining the time it takes for a chemical to break down in the environment.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform has a wide range of applications in various fields, including electronics, signal processing, control systems, and physics. It is used to study the behavior of electrical circuits, to analyze data from sensors, and to model the dynamics of physical systems. It also has applications in finance, biology, and chemistry.

5. What are the limitations of the Inverse Laplace Transform?

While the Inverse Laplace Transform is a powerful tool for solving differential equations and understanding complex systems, it does have some limitations. It may not always be possible to find an analytical solution using the inverse transform, in which case numerical methods must be used. Additionally, the inverse transform may not exist for certain functions or may produce a result that is difficult to interpret.