Inverse Theorem and Fermat's Theorem (Iso point)

In summary, your proof of the Inverse Function Theorem and Fermat's Theorem are well-organized and sound. However, it would be helpful to provide more explanation and clarification for certain steps to make them more accessible to a wider audience, especially when presenting to a class. Best of luck with your presentation!
Enzipino
Hello,
I've been using Caratheodory's Lemma to prove the Inverse Function Theorem and Fermat's Theorem. I have managed to prove both of them, I would just like someone to look over my proof and tell me if I'm missing anything (i.e. should I clarify any parts of my proof). So here goes:

Inverse Function Theorem - Suppose that $f$ is a one-one continuous function (this means it's bijective right?) on an interval $S$, $f$ is differentiable at a given number ${x}_{0}\in S$, and $f'({x}_{0})\ne0$. Then $f^{-1}$ is differentiable at the number $f({x}_{0}) = {y}_{0}$ and we have $(f^{-1})'({y}_{0})=\frac{1}{f'({x}_{0})}$

Proof: Since $f$ is differentiable at $x_0$, $\exists\phi:S\to\Bbb{R}$ such that $\phi(x_0)=w$ and $f(x) = f(x_0) + (x-x_0)\phi(x)$ [Caratheodory's]
Let $x=f^{-1}(y)$, we have $f(f^{-1}(y)) = f(f^{-1}(y_0)) + (f^{-1}(y)-f^{-1}(y_0))\phi(f^{-1}(y))$.
$\implies f(f^{-1}(y))-f(f^{-1}(y_0)) = (f^{-1}(y)-f^{-1}(y_0))\phi(f^{-1}(y))$
$\implies y-y_0=(f^{-1}(y)-f^{-1}(y_0))\phi(f^{-1}(y))$
$\implies \frac{y-y_0}{(f^{-1}(y)-f^{-1}(y_0))}=\phi(f^{-1}(y))$
Flipping both sides of the equation we have $\frac{(f^{-1}(y)-f^{-1}(y_0))}{y-y_0}=\frac{1}{\phi(f^{-1}(y))}$
$\implies (f^{-1})'({y}_{0})=\frac{1}{\phi(x)}$
$\therefore(f^{-1})'({y}_{0})=\frac{1}{f'(x_0)}$
Q.E.D.​

For Fermat's Theorem, my book has it in 5 parts but I'm just going to post the 5th part which is the main theorem. I will be using 2 other parts concerning the maximum:
1. If $x$ is not the right endpoint of $S$ and $f'(x)>0$, then $f$ cannot have a max at $x$.
2. If $x$ is not the left endpoint of $S$ and $f'(x)<0$, then $f$ cannot have a max at $x$.

Fermat's Theorem - Suppose that $f$ is a function defined on an interval $S$ and that $f$ is differentiable at a number $x\in S$. If $x$ is not an endpoint of $S$ and $f$ has either a maximum or minimum value at $x$, then we must have $f'(x)=0$.
Proof: Suppose that $f$ has a maximum value at $x$. Using the converse of 1 and 2 above, we have that $f'(x)\le0$ and $f'(x)\ge0$. Thus, $f'(x)=0$.
Q.E.D.​
This proof just seems way too easy which has me second guessing myself but I know that the theorem definitely follows from the other parts so by proving those parts, it should lead me to proving this final part.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Any tips about how to explain these two things in front of an entire class would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your proof of the Inverse Function Theorem and Fermat's Theorem. Overall, your proof looks sound and well-organized. However, I have a few suggestions for clarification and further explanation.

Firstly, you are correct in stating that a one-one function is also bijective. However, it may be helpful to explicitly state this in your proof, especially if you are presenting it to a class. Additionally, you may want to define what it means for a function to be "continuous on an interval," as this is a key assumption in the theorem.

Secondly, when using Caratheodory's Lemma, it may be helpful to explain why this lemma is necessary for the proof. This will help your audience understand the motivation behind the steps you are taking.

In your proof of the Inverse Function Theorem, you state that $\phi(x_0)=w$ and $f(x) = f(x_0) + (x-x_0)\phi(x)$. It would be helpful to explain why this is the case and how it relates to the differentiability of $f$ at $x_0$. Additionally, you may want to clarify why you chose to use $y$ instead of $y_0$ in the following steps: $y=f(x)$ and $y_0=f(x_0)$. This may be confusing for some readers.

For your proof of Fermat's Theorem, it would be helpful to explain why the converse of parts 1 and 2 leads to $f'(x)=0$. This may not be immediately obvious to some readers. Additionally, you may want to clarify what is meant by "maximum or minimum value at $x$." This could refer to a local or global maximum/minimum, and it may be helpful to specify which one you are considering in this proof.

Overall, your proofs are clear and well-structured. However, providing more explanation and clarification will make them more accessible to a wider audience. Best of luck with your presentation!

Related to Inverse Theorem and Fermat's Theorem (Iso point)

1. What is the inverse theorem in mathematics?

The inverse theorem, also known as the inverse function theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states conditions under which a function has an inverse function. It is used to determine if a function is invertible, and if so, to find the inverse function.

2. What is Fermat's theorem in mathematics?

Fermat's theorem, also known as Fermat's Last Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2. This theorem was famously proven by Andrew Wiles in 1995.

3. What is an iso point in mathematics?

An iso point, also known as an isoperimetric point, is a point within a given shape or figure where the perimeter is equal to the area. This point is often used in geometry and optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

4. How are the inverse theorem and Fermat's theorem related?

The inverse theorem and Fermat's theorem are both mathematical theorems that deal with different aspects of functions. However, they are not directly related to each other and have different applications in mathematics.

5. What are some practical applications of the inverse theorem and Fermat's theorem?

The inverse theorem has practical applications in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and topology. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and computer science. Fermat's theorem has applications in number theory, algebra, and cryptography, and has also inspired further research in other areas of mathematics.