Investigate one factor that affects the angle of refraction

In summary, the person is looking for a suitable method and factor to investigate the angle of refraction in the context of glasses and everyday life. They have ruled out factors like wavelength of light and density of glass, and are considering using the angle of incidence but are unsure of its relevance. One idea they have is to measure the curvature of a lens, but they are unsure of how to do so. Another suggestion is to read the wikipedia article on lenses for more information.
Azzzy
Statement:

I need a suitable method and factor to investigate ONE factor that affects the angle of refraction. It has to be related to the context of everyday life and glasses, i.e. how glasses are used to focus light and the light focused is that of a refracted ray. Therefore factors such as wavelength of light or density of glass (measurements may be negligible) are not relevant. Would angle of incidence be one, but I'm struggling to understand how it relates to the context as light enters at all different angles so...?

Thanks

The attempt at a solution

Idea = to measure the curvature of a lens and the effect it has on the angle of refraction but how would you measure curvature? Another attempt to solve = measuring angle of incidence but then how is it relevant to context stated above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Azzzy said:
Statement:

I need a suitable method and factor to investigate ONE factor that affects the angle of refraction. It has to be related to the context of everyday life and glasses, i.e. how glasses are used to focus light and the light focused is that of a refracted ray. Therefore factors such as wavelength of light or density of glass (measurements may be negligible) are not relevant. Would angle of incidence be one, but I'm struggling to understand how it relates to the context as light enters at all different angles so...?

Thanks

The attempt at a solution

Idea = to measure the curvature of a lens and the effect it has on the angle of refraction but how would you measure curvature? Another attempt to solve = measuring angle of incidence but then how is it relevant to context stated above.

Read through the article on wikipedia about "Lens" (optics). That should get you going... :smile:

1. What is the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction is the angle between the refracted ray and the normal line at the point of incidence when a light ray passes through a boundary between two different mediums.

2. What factors can affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction can be affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two mediums, and the wavelength of the light.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence is the angle between the incident ray and the normal line at the point of incidence. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, resulting in a greater deviation of the light ray.

4. What is the relationship between the refractive indices and the angle of refraction?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a light ray bends when it passes through a medium. The greater the difference in refractive indices between two mediums, the greater the angle of refraction will be.

5. How does the wavelength of light affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction is also affected by the wavelength of light. This is because different wavelengths of light have different speeds in a medium, which can cause different amounts of bending and therefore different angles of refraction.