AC Current in unconnected wires

In summary, the conversation discusses an incident where the ground wire was accidentally disconnected by an electrician, causing AC current to flow through the outlets in the house. The individual was shocked when they touched their computer and discovered the issue. They then disconnected all devices and appliances and had the live wire switched off from the mains. They later found out that the electrician had forgotten to reconnect the ground wire. The discussion also mentions the possibility of insulation leakage or stray electrical fields causing the stray current. The conversation also suggests installing RCCBs to prevent such incidents in the future. The individual also mentions feeling a shock and using a screwdriver phase tester to check for voltage. Later on, they mention that the ground wire has been properly reconnected and the current
GingerLee
Hello,
My electrician had to disconnect the ground wire from mains distribution box a day ago. And he forgot to attach it back. I did not know it was un-attached.

Then in the evening, I touched my computer and got a shock. I used a screw driver type phase tester and checked the ground part of all the outlets in the house and they all were showing AC current.

I thought maybe there is mixup of live and ground wire, so I quickly disconnected all the devices and appliances. I switched off the live using MCB from the mains. Neutral was still connected. And now ground was not showing any AC current.

JA9hq.jpg

Later on I found, the electrician forgot to attach the ground in the mains distribution box.

This beats me. The ground wire was totally unconnected from both ends. I checked all the outlets one by one. But still whenever I switched on live, ground wire would show current too.

I checked live and ground using multimeter's continuity test, there is no short circuit.

Can someone please explain why an isolate ground wire is showing AC current ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fire the electrician! He should have checked his work before leaving. The stray current could be from insulation leakage or stray electrical fields capacitive coupling on the floating wire.

Did you test for current or voltage?

nsaspook said:
Fire the electrician! He should have checked his work before leaving. The stray current could be from insulation leakage or stray electrical fields capacitive coupling on the floating wire.
Thanks for telling about capacitive coupling. I think this explains it :)

Jobrag said:
Did you test for current or voltage?
I used a screw driver phase tester, so I guess I checked voltage. The lamp inside the screw driver would glow if its at higher voltage than person using it.

Do you have RCCBs fitted? If not, use the compensation you get from the electrician to fit them.

If you connect a DMM between the points where you got a shock and measure the actual current that can flow. It will probably be no more than a milliAmp or so. Not life threatening but your electrician should still sort it out as the next fault could kill someone.

GingerLee said:
Then in the evening, I touched my computer and got a shock.
You presumably contacted a metallic part of the computer or a peripheral, but were you also in contact with some other conductive path to ground?

sophiecentaur said:
If you connect a DMM between the points where you got a shock and measure the actual current that can flow. It will probably be no more than a milliAmp or so. Not life threatening but your electrician should still sort it out as the next fault could kill someone.
After I connected the ground wire properly, there is no more shock. The current in the ground wire is not showing anything. Now its 0 mA.

NascentOxygen said:
You presumably contacted a metallic part of the computer or a peripheral, but were you also in contact with some other conductive path to ground?
I think so. I was barefoot on marbled floor. And I touched one of the screws of the metallic cabinet.

Jobrag said:
Do you have RCCBs fitted? If not, use the compensation you get from the electrician to fit them.
It was not working that's why I called the electrician in the first place. I test it every two months, as is written on the box. Installed a new one now :)

GingerLee said:
I think so. I was barefoot on marbled floor. And I touched one of the screws of the metallic cabinet.
Hmm, I would not have expected a marble floor to be conductive at the low voltage in question.

GingerLee said:
Jobrag said:
It was not working that's why I called the electrician in the first place. I test it every two months, as is written on the box. Installed a new one now :)
But was the old RCCB actually faulty? If the system's ground wire was disconnected, as you say it was, then the TEST button (whose purpose I presume is to divert a small current to ground) cannot fulfill its function so even a properly functioning RCCB will not respond to the TEST button under these circumstances, it seems to me.

It all depends on how bad a shock you actually got. You will feel a small (1mA) shock that an RCD will ignore because it isn't considered lethal. If RDCs tripped with less than their specified current then they would always be going off and people wouldn't put up with the inconvenience.

1. What is AC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of electrical current that reverses direction periodically. It is commonly used in homes and buildings to power appliances and electronics.

2. How is AC current different from DC current?

DC (direct current) flows in only one direction, while AC alternates between forward and reverse directions. DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

3. Can AC current be found in unconnected wires?

Yes, AC current can exist in unconnected wires due to electromagnetic induction. When an alternating magnetic field is present near a wire, it can induce an AC current in the wire without any direct connection.

4. Is AC current dangerous?

AC current can be dangerous if not handled properly. It can cause electric shock and other hazards if the voltage is high enough. It is important to always use caution and follow safety guidelines when working with AC current.

5. How is AC current measured?

AC current is measured in amperes (A), which represents the rate of flow of electric charge. It can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit to measure the current passing through it.