Investigation into the behavior of microwaves

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of microwave propagation in real life situations and the difficulties in finding a unified understanding of its behavior. The speaker also mentions the possibility of creating a "radar" using microwave technology and questions about materials and other technologies that could be explored. They also caution against making one's own transmitter and suggest using a pre-made and pre-qualified transmitter. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a sniffer device to study interference in different environments.
3432401GSPT
Hi,

For an assignment at school I am looking into the behaviors of microwave propagation. For instance I have familiarized myself with Fraunhoffer diffraction (Single slit, Double slit and grating) and an amount of wave mechanics in general.

What I would like to do however is to link all this very 'nice' theoretical behavior of waves, to a real life situation. The real life situation that I originally began with was microwave propagation in the household. Approx 2.4ghz from microwave oven, Wifi, cordless phones etc. I can investigate all sorts of things like the drop-off of intensity with the square of distance but I'm struggling to find an area I can investigate that unifies what you would learn in a beginners physics textbook, and the seemingly chaotic EM behavior in the real world, for instance the interference at said wavelength.

I was thinking that I could describe microwave propagation in the environment (diffraction, reflection, etc.) and almost make a 'radar' to find given shapes etc. using a microwave source situated at one end, and then a microwave detector at the other to find interference patterns.
What materials would give fairly consistent and predictable behavior/interaction with microwaves?
Are there any other technologies that I could look into/be of interest other than a simple box source and a horn receiver?

Thanks for any help/suggestions :) :)

Physics news on Phys.org
3432401GSPT said:
Hi,

For an assignment at school I am looking into the behaviors of microwave propagation. For instance I have familiarized myself with Fraunhoffer diffraction (Single slit, Double slit and grating) and an amount of wave mechanics in general.

What I would like to do however is to link all this very 'nice' theoretical behavior of waves, to a real life situation. The real life situation that I originally began with was microwave propagation in the household. Approx 2.4ghz from microwave oven, Wifi, cordless phones etc. I can investigate all sorts of things like the drop-off of intensity with the square of distance but I'm struggling to find an area I can investigate that unifies what you would learn in a beginners physics textbook, and the seemingly chaotic EM behavior in the real world, for instance the interference at said wavelength.

I was thinking that I could describe microwave propagation in the environment (diffraction, reflection, etc.) and almost make a 'radar' to find given shapes etc. using a microwave source situated at one end, and then a microwave detector at the other to find interference patterns.
What materials would give fairly consistent and predictable behavior/interaction with microwaves?
Are there any other technologies that I could look into/be of interest other than a simple box source and a horn receiver?

Thanks for any help/suggestions :) :)

Welcome to the PF. :-)

I'd be careful about trying to make your own transmitter -- even though the 2.4GHz band does not require a license to transmit in, it is much better to use a pre-made and pre-qualified transmitter. Making your own could result in out-of-band interference with other receivers, and a visit from the FCC.

One of the ways we have characterized 2.4GHz devices and their signal propagation was to take advantage of the (usually) built-in Receive Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI) circuit in a receive device, and move the device in a horizontal x-y pattern to find the multipath nulls. The nulls you get from multipath reflections and other issues can be pretty dramatic.

You may be able to find some sort of "sniffer" device that can receive over the full 2.4GHz "ISM/microwave oven" band, and see what kind of interference exists in different environments.

What is the purpose of investigating the behavior of microwaves?

The purpose of investigating the behavior of microwaves is to understand how they interact with different materials and how they can be used for various applications, such as cooking food or transmitting signals.

How do microwaves differ from other types of electromagnetic radiation?

Microwaves have a longer wavelength and lower frequency compared to other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light or X-rays. They also have the ability to pass through certain materials, like glass or plastic, while being absorbed by others, such as metal or water.

What is the relationship between microwaves and water molecules?

Microwaves have a specific frequency that causes water molecules to vibrate and produce heat. This is why microwaves are commonly used for cooking food, as the water molecules in the food absorb the microwave energy and generate heat, heating up the food.

How do microwaves behave when they encounter different materials?

When microwaves encounter different materials, they can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed, depending on the properties of the material. For example, metals reflect microwaves, while plastics and glass transmit them. The ability of a material to absorb microwaves is known as its dielectric constant.

What are some common applications of microwaves?

Microwaves have a wide range of applications, including cooking and heating food, communication and radar systems, medical treatments like MRI machines, and industrial processes such as drying and curing materials. They are also used in astronomy to study the properties of celestial objects.