Invisible Ink that you can see through an IR lens

In summary, an eyepiece that can see hidden messages needs an ink that can be seen through the lens. The eyepiece needs to be able to detect infrared light, which most humans can't see, and then convert it into an image. There are many inks that are more interesting in IR than visible, but the eyepiece would need a special pinhole camera to see them.
Aidentheawesome23
TL;DR Summary
I need ink that reacts through an IR lens
I’m making an eyepiece that can see hidden messages, and I need to know an ink that you’ll be able to see through the IR lens.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why a lens instead of looking at it directly?

Your eye can’t see IR. Fools gambit. Lens doesn’t matter.

Likes russ_watters
I'm making a prototype of this, also what if there's light shining through the lens
TH2_Eye_HD.png
images.jpg

Theres a fountain pen ink made Noodler's. I forget the name of it, but just type in Noodlers Invinsible Fountain Pen Ink.

Likes diogenesNY
Aidentheawesome23 said:
I'm making a prototype of this, also what if there's light shining through the lensView attachment 276950View attachment 276951
Is this from a game? Physically, the images already show a huge error in the concept.

The lens is red, which means the lens absorbs (or cut out) blue and green light, and only let's red light go through. So there is no chance that you can see a blue light (the second image) through the lens, unless they are upconverted (highly unlikely) or digitally modified.

You can't see IR light no matter what kind of lens you use. You need some sort of device that can detect IR light and digitally convert it into an image.

Likes russ_watters
HAYAO said:
You can't see IR light no matter what kind of lens you use.
Correction: Most people can't.

Generally, humans can see wavelengths down to about 750nm.

My son can reliably see the light from a TV remote - about 940nm - well into the near IR.
Yep. My son has a superpower. :smile:

So, the solution for the OP is ensure he is young of age.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and HAYAO
DaveC426913 said:
Correction: Most people can't.

Generally, humans can see wavelengths down to about 750nm.

My son can reliably see the light from a TV remote - about 940nm - well into the near IR.
Yep. My son has a superpower. :smile:

So, the solution for the OP is ensure he is young of age.
I always thought that was due to the LED producing a distribution of frequencies?

chemisttree said:
I always thought that was due to the LED producing a distribution of frequencies?
Perhaps, but that distribution is certainly entirely below my ability to detect.

Likes chemisttree
Unless you have Dave's son's ability to see lower frequencies than the average person, you WILL need an IR sensor and a display device. A simple lens (or filter rather) won't do anything because it doesn't convert IR frequencies into visible light. You might as well use a trash bag as a filter otherwise (this type of plastic is transparent in part of the IR spectrum, but not the visible).

While it's not a direct answer to your question you might find this research interesting. By injecting special nanoparticles into the eye of rats it converted the IR light into visible blue light. If you wanted to incorporate this into an eyepiece then something like a pin hole camera with the nanoparticles embedded into the screen would work but the image could be quite dim. As for the ink, there are many pigments which are more interesting in IR than visible that's not too rare.

1. What is invisible ink that can be seen through an IR lens?

Invisible ink that can be seen through an IR lens is a type of ink that is invisible to the naked eye but can be detected using an infrared (IR) lens. This type of ink is often used for security purposes or as a fun way to write secret messages.

2. How does invisible ink that can be seen through an IR lens work?

Invisible ink that can be seen through an IR lens works by using a special type of ink that is only visible under certain types of light, such as infrared light. This ink is typically made up of compounds that are sensitive to IR light and will appear as a different color when viewed through an IR lens.

3. What is an IR lens and how does it reveal invisible ink?

An IR lens is a type of lens that is designed to detect and focus infrared light. This type of light is not visible to the human eye, but an IR lens can detect it and reveal any hidden images or text created with invisible ink.

4. Can invisible ink that can be seen through an IR lens be used for practical purposes?

Yes, invisible ink that can be seen through an IR lens can be used for practical purposes such as security markings or to prevent counterfeiting. This type of ink is also commonly used in escape rooms or scavenger hunts as a fun way to create clues or puzzles.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using invisible ink that can be seen through an IR lens?

No, there are no safety concerns with using invisible ink that can be seen through an IR lens. The compounds used in this type of ink are non-toxic and safe for use on skin and other surfaces. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid getting the ink in your eyes or mouth.