Looking to learn how infrared absorbing (700-1000nm) pigment is made

• Thread starter didymus_alpha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infrared
In summary, the conversation discusses using an infrared absorbing pigment powder and the possibility of making it at a DIY level. The speaker asks for help in identifying the pigment material and suggests it may be a green mineral ground into powder. They also mention the possibility of blending different materials and ask about the use of green clay minerals in cosmetics. Suggestions are made to research IR dyes from Sigma Aldrich and to take the powder to a geology/mineralogy lab for analysis.
didymus_alpha
TL;DR Summary
I am interested in learning the manufacturing process for IR absorbing pigment of around 700-1000nm and if I can bring that process down to a DIY level.
Hello,

I have a kinda neat idea for using infrared absorbing (700-1000nm) pigment powder. There are definitely a number of places where it can be purchased, but it's quite expensive for me.

https://maxmax.com/phosphorsdyesandinks/infrared-phosphors-dyes-and-inks/ir-absorbing-pigment

I'm trying to get an idea of how a substance like this is manufactured. Then I want to see if it's possible to bring that down to a somewhat DIY level. I don't mean like create a procedure where anyone can do it. I mean more like come up with a way where if I did the research and took my time I could make it. I have access to machine shops and other places like that. I'm not sure if that would be useful. I have places that I can use as labs. I'm entirely self-taught when it comes to this kind of thing. I'm not looking for anyone to just give me the answer on how to make this at my house. I'm more looking for like keywords or general ideas for where to start figuring this out.

Also, whenever I ask similar things people always say "it's cheaper to just buy blahblah". Yes, sometimes that is true, but my motivation for doing DIY variants is always to learn first and foremost and everything else is secondary. So, please, if any of you are familiar with this type of thing I'd really love for you to entertain me for a moment, haha.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The first thing to do is to identify the IRP1 pigment material.
They give you the absorption spectrum in the data, see if you can find it in an IR spectrum catalogue or google IR ... , the graph may be upside down as a reflection spectrum.
You may find something better.

Also they write;
Appearance: Pale Green Talcum Powder.
Particle size: d90 < 3 Microns
Absorption: 600-1100nm. Peak Absorption: 920nm
Light Fastness: Very Good. Blue Wool = 7
Toxicity: Harmful if swallowed. Treat as a nuisance dust.
Odor: Odorless. Solubility: None Known.
It does not fluoresce.

So it is probably a green mineral, ground to a pale green dust.

Talc is white not green, and I believe talc does fluoresce, check that. Talc is a phylosilicate, so feels similar to clay.
Serpentine is green and soft so could be ground easily. Serpentine powder is also the name for a type of gunpowder, which makes a google search difficult.
It could be a blend of several powdered materials mixed, but then it might separate, so I would guess one only.
What green clay minerals are there?
https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2003TrGeo...7..309V/abstract

Is there an MSDS for the IRP1 product?

Buy some, then take it to a geology/mineralogy lab for X-ray diffraction analysis.

What is the bulk green powder used for cosmetic facemasks?
"French Green Clay" Montmorillonite, Bentonite?

1. How is infrared absorbing pigment made?

Infrared absorbing pigment is typically made by combining a base pigment, such as iron oxide or carbon black, with a material that absorbs infrared radiation, such as a metal oxide or a polymer. The mixture is then processed and ground into a fine powder, which can be used in various applications.

2. What materials are used to make infrared absorbing pigment?

The most commonly used materials for making infrared absorbing pigment are metal oxides, such as iron oxide, titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide. Other materials, such as carbon black and certain polymers, can also be used depending on the desired properties of the pigment.

3. How does infrared absorbing pigment work?

Infrared absorbing pigment works by absorbing the infrared radiation that is present in sunlight or other sources of heat. This absorption converts the infrared energy into heat, which is then dissipated by the pigment. This helps to reduce the amount of heat transferred to the surface where the pigment is applied, keeping it cooler.

4. What are the applications of infrared absorbing pigment?

Infrared absorbing pigment has a wide range of applications, including in coatings, paints, plastics, and textiles. It is often used in products that are exposed to sunlight or other sources of heat, such as cars, buildings, and outdoor furniture, to help reduce heat buildup and improve energy efficiency.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using infrared absorbing pigment?

In general, infrared absorbing pigment is considered safe for use in various applications. However, as with any material, it is important to follow proper handling and safety precautions when working with the pigment. This may include wearing protective gear and ensuring proper ventilation during the manufacturing process.