Ion Generation Troubleshooting: Overcoming Limitations in Small Ion Accelerators

In summary: VASIMR loses additional 15% on collisions between counter-spiralling electrons and ions, and to generate RF from DC.Regarding efficiency, may be you have too high frequency for double-layer helicon thruster. I do not know which simulator do you use though. In general, do not forget: simulators indicate the possible solution, not measure the solution.Note-2:...you convinced me, that approach seems perfect to me, I do not need the microwaves and can set the helicon outside the vacuum, great!, I have to decide now if using pulsed power or just the RF 50
Javier Lopez
I have to increase ion generation in a small ion accelerator but I have troubles to go over 20mA (1.27e17 ions/second). I can modulate up to 40 Mhz at 1kV. What ion generator it is recommended gor large ion flux?, I can work in pulse generation.

Physics news on Phys.org
it is hard to offer any suggestions not knowing what is your ion generator like. However, from my experience, your ion current might be limited by space charge.

My actual "generator" not works. In the designs no more than 20mA can be done but heating a lot the copper to generate electrons. Pressure is in the 1-5Pa range.

I would like use 2.4-3Ghz microwaves to heat hydrogen to ionic state instead of using hot OBe to emmit electrons and use electrons to ionize hydrogen. I can use solid state amplifiers or magnetron, but before buy and mounting I should like have the efficiency. The question is: what could be the efficiency of the RF?
(I should use solid state amplifier or magnetron)

About the space charge, it would help to introduce RF connected to the grid.

Can be the output charge: Q=CV*f?
Where C is the capacitance of the acceleration plates, f the signal frequency and V the voltage.
I suppose there is a maximum frequency at that the ions can not reach the second plate at the output speed

Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
My actual "generator" not works. In the designs no more than 20mA can be done but heating a lot the copper to generate electrons. Pressure is in the 1-5Pa range.

I would like use 2.4-3Ghz microwaves to heat hydrogen to ionic state instead of using hot OBe to emmit electrons and use electrons to ionize hydrogen. I can use solid state amplifiers or magnetron, but before buy and mounting I should like have the efficiency. The question is: what could be the efficiency of the RF?
(I should use solid state amplifier or magnetron)

About the space charge, it would help to introduce RF connected to the grid.

Can be the output charge: Q=CV*f?
Where C is the capacitance of the acceleration plates, f the signal frequency and V the voltage.
I suppose there is a maximum frequency at that the ions can not reach the second plate at the output speed
Are you making a sort of plasma thruster? Seems like Hall thruster upgrade to Vasimr or E-IMPAcT configuration.

Typical ionization efficiency can be about 50% in these setups.

Likes Javier Lopez
Ok, I come back again.
Thank you for the Vasimr sugestion, I were looking for a system similar to mine. My ionizer is closer to a plasma thruster due I use higher plasma density than a particle accelerator.
Is this the vasimir setup?:
VASIMR_system.jpg

My idea was to heat directly the plasma using a magnetron at 2.4Ghz. I know a japonesse scientist that uses the helicon antenna so I can speak to him to ask about. I like from helicons that I can work at few MHz and high power (I can have 40MHz and 50kW :) )

I do not understand because I think that the efficiency must be lower than 50% because thrust is done by heating the plasma 100eV instead ionizing using 10eV and then accelerate using electrostatics.
I made some tests using Lorentz but I obtained efficiencies under 14% so I am not happy with heating fuel after that

Attachments

• VASIMR_system.jpg
    VASIMR_system.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 520
Javier Lopez said:
Ok, I come back again.
Thank you for the Vasimr sugestion, I were looking for a system similar to mine. My ionizer is closer to a plasma thruster due I use higher plasma density than a particle accelerator.
Is this the vasimir setup?:
Of course. Because you attached wikipedia illustration from VASIMR page.:smile:
Javier Lopez said:
My idea was to heat directly the plasma using a magnetron at 2.4Ghz. I know a japonesse scientist that uses the helicon antenna so I can speak to him to ask about. I like from helicons that I can work at few MHz and high power (I can have 40MHz and 50kW :) )
I do not understand because I think that the efficiency must be lower than 50% because thrust is done by heating the plasma 100eV instead ionizing using 10eV and then accelerate using electrostatics.
I made some tests using Lorentz but I obtained efficiencies under 14% so I am not happy with heating fuel after that
If you use one-step heater, your efficiency may be up to 65% which is simply nozzle efficiency. VASIMR loses additional 15% on collisions between counter-spiralling electrons and ions, and to generate RF from DC.

Regarding efficiency, may be you have too high frequency for double-layer helicon thruster. I do not know which simulator do you use though. In general, do not forget: simulators indicate the possible solution, not measure the solution.

Likes Javier Lopez
OK, you convinced me, that approach seems perfect to me, I do not need the microwaves and can set the helicon outside the vacuum, great!, I have to decide now if using pulsed power or just the RF 50kW power system

Note-1: I think an ion thruster have a lot more Newtons using pulsed power than continuous using the same power
Note-2: I suppose the thrust is made due magnets compress the plasma

Do you have the calculus of the helicon antenna dimensions and inductance using frequency and plasma characteristics?

Javier Lopez said:
OK, you convinced me, that approach seems perfect to me, I do not need the microwaves and can set the helicon outside the vacuum, great!, I have to decide now if using pulsed power or just the RF 50kW power system

Note-1: I think an ion thruster have a lot more Newtons using pulsed power than continuous using the same power
Note-2: I suppose the thrust is made due magnets compress the plasma

Do you have the calculus of the helicon antenna dimensions and inductance using frequency and plasma characteristics?
Both statements are mostly incorrect.
1. Pulse thrusters have larger peak thrust, but its average thrust is actually lower. Prime reason why pulse thrusters are useful is what they can be build lighter and slightly higher power efficiency in the case of the limited solar panel power (i.e. pulse thrusters make sense if they draw peak power from battery).
2. Thrust (at least with helicon design) will be produced even without magnets, but with lower specific impulse (arcjet mode) and damage to the engine itself.

Regarding calculus, plasma thrusters are not standard design yet - you need to decide your own configuration and calculate/measure performance specifically for it

Well, you can extract pulse power from capacitors better than from batteries at full efficiency
(About accelerate ions using only joule heating leads in low thrust due specific energy to heat ions is very high, so is a lot more efficient to accelerate plasma using electrostatic acceleration or magnetic compression)
I calculated with impulse proportional to m*v, so if you send 10 times more mass you obtain 10 times more specific impulse.
So I made following calculations that could be wrong so I would appreciate if you check them
I made an excel table with theoretical data (not related to real rocket) with following results:
A 500kg rocket with 380kg fuel that uses 100 megajoules by using 10 pulses (at 100% efficiency) would be accelerated to 29.6km/s
Using 20 pulses would be 17km/s and 100 pulses would lead in 3.8km/s only:

16blmjb.jpg

Attachments

• 16blmjb.jpg
    16blmjb.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 537
Energy spent on acceleration of propellant is square of impulse carried by propellant. Spreadsheet above is in error.

Then I do not understand because in electrostatic acceleration E=nq*V that is proportional to number of charges, not the squared, where V is the accelerator voltage (of course the ionization energy must be accounted as losses)
And wasted energy from capacitors is V*I*t where I =n*q appears again, then, where the square of nomber of mass (or charges) come from?

It is important as long as I would like measure how many ions are accelerated by measuring the capacitor voltage drop

1. What is an ion generator and how does it work?

An ion generator is a device that produces negative ions, which are molecules that have gained an extra electron. It works by using electricity to create an electrostatic field that breaks apart neutral air molecules into positive and negative ions.

2. What are the benefits of using an ion generator?

Using an ion generator can have several benefits, including improving air quality, reducing allergies and asthma symptoms, boosting mood and energy levels, and neutralizing pollutants and odors in the air.

3. What are the potential problems with an ion generator?

One potential problem with an ion generator is that it can produce ozone, which can be harmful to people with respiratory issues. Another issue is that the ions may not be evenly distributed throughout the room, leading to inconsistent results.

4. How can I minimize the potential problems with an ion generator?

To minimize the potential problems with an ion generator, you can choose a model that has been certified as ozone-free, place the device in a well-ventilated area, and regularly clean the ionization plates to ensure proper functioning. You can also consider using an air purifier with a combination of different technologies, including ionization, for more effective air purification.

5. Are there any alternative solutions to using an ion generator?

Yes, there are several alternative solutions to using an ion generator, such as using a HEPA air purifier, using natural air purifiers like plants, regularly opening windows for fresh air circulation, and keeping the room clean and free of dust and pollutants. It is important to assess your specific needs and consider all options before deciding on a solution.