Are Ionized Water Spray Bottles Really Effective for Cleaning?

In summary, Ionized water spray bottles are products that claim to transform tap water into a powerful cleaning agent without the use of chemicals. However, these claims are not scientifically supported and there is no evidence that ionized water has any significant cleaning properties. Many studies have shown that these claims are false and the manufacturers fail to provide a reasonable explanation or evidence for their claims. Therefore, these products are not worth the investment and plain water is sufficient for cleaning surfaces.
drpizza
"Ionized water spray bottles"

I'm not sure if anyone has seen these products. But, there are several different products out there - you put plain tap water into a spray bottle that has a battery & some "fancy looking" electronic equipment inside, include little LED lights that apparently flash for dramatic effect so the user knows that something amazing is happening.

The claims:
Enter the Activeion ionator – it’s a cleaning product that transforms humble tap water into a super-powered, germ-destroying, dirt-removing dynamo – with absolutely no chemicals. That’s good news for your family, your pets and the environment.
How does a unit use plain tap water and create a powerful cleaning agent? It converts tap water into ionized water. Ionized water is a powerful cleaning product that has been used for a long time in four-star restaurants, food processing plants, and large hotels. The ionater products have simply been scaled down for domestic and semi-industrial use. They use a water cell to apply a slight electrical charge to tap water. The charged water then passes through an ion exchange membrane which creates an oxygen-rich mix of positive and negative nano-bubbles. That ionized water is capable of attracting dirt and bacteria and when sprayed carries a low-level electric field to the surface where the germs may be living. The manufacturer says this low-level electric field ruptures and kills germs which can then be easily wiped away – without leaving any chemical residue.

Am I being too skeptical in not believing a bit of this? Just plain water is often sufficient for cleaning surfaces. Is there anything believable about these claims that turns plain water into something better than plain water using... water as an ingredient?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just ignore those claims, they are wrong. There are no "nano-bubbles" in water, and you cannot increase the fraction of oxygen without adding oxygen (or removing hydrogen, which is tricky). There is no point in additional oxygen anyway.

Ion exchangers have a real effect, but they remove one type of ions and replace them with another type of ions - they change the chemical structure.

I should probably give the motivation for my question - how to I explain to a department where I work that the 1000's of dollars they're spending on these spray bottles is completely wasted - the claims are bogus. But, I never assume I know everything - I could be wrong (shhhh, don't tell my wife; as far as she knows, I'm never wrong), but I'd love to find a resource that demonstrates that these claims are bogus, or some sort of specific factual argument that really demonstrates it.

- The manufacturer fails to give a reasonable scientific explanation for the claims.
- The manufacturer was not able to publish those claims in a reasonable journal, or patent them
- Actually, no manufacturer was able to get repeatable results for similar claims.

There are too many quacks out there to test every possible product, but there are many studies of similar claims, all with a negative result.

I approach any claims with a healthy dose of skepticism and a desire for evidence-based research. In the case of ionized water spray bottles, there are a few red flags that suggest these claims may not be entirely accurate.

Firstly, the term "ionized water" is not scientifically recognized. Water can be ionized by adding certain minerals or through electrolysis, but there is no evidence to suggest that this process creates a more effective cleaning agent.

Secondly, the idea that a low-level electric field can kill germs is not supported by scientific research. While high levels of electricity can be used to disinfect water, the amount of electricity generated by these spray bottles is likely not enough to effectively kill germs.

Lastly, the claim that these products are used in four-star restaurants and food processing plants is also questionable. Without specific evidence and research to back up this claim, it is difficult to verify its validity.

In conclusion, while these ionized water spray bottles may have some benefits as a chemical-free cleaning option, the claims made about their effectiveness and superiority over plain water should be approached with caution and further research. I would recommend looking for evidence-based research and independent studies before investing in such products.

1. What is ionized water?

Ionized water is water that has undergone a process called electrolysis, where an electric current is used to separate the water into two streams - one alkaline and one acidic. The alkaline stream is often referred to as ionized water and contains a higher concentration of minerals and a higher pH level compared to regular water.

2. How is ionized water created?

Ionized water is created through a process called electrolysis, which involves passing an electric current through water. This separates the water into two streams - one alkaline and one acidic. The alkaline stream is then collected and used as ionized water.

3. What are the benefits of using ionized water?

There are many claimed benefits of using ionized water, including improved hydration, increased energy levels, better detoxification, and improved digestion. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support these claims.

4. Can ionized water spray bottles be used for skincare?

Yes, ionized water spray bottles are often marketed for skincare purposes. The alkaline properties of ionized water are said to be beneficial for the skin, but again, there is limited scientific evidence to support this claim.

5. Are there any potential risks of using ionized water spray bottles?

There are no known risks associated with using ionized water spray bottles for skincare purposes. However, it is essential to ensure that the water source used for electrolysis is clean and free of contaminants. Additionally, some people may experience negative side effects such as upset stomach or skin irritation if they have a sensitivity to alkaline substances.