IP Address Assignment: How are IP Addresses Assigned?

In summary, when checking out of a coffee shop, the computer's IP address may be the same as the IP address assigned to it at home, but it can also be assigned dynamically. This happens when the computer is connected to a network that is not the same as the one the coffee shop is using.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am just curious. I am in a coffee shop using the internet. My (external) IP address in this coffee shop ( given by whatismyip.com) is the same as the IP address assigned to me at home by my ISP. I thought IP addresses are assigned dynamically when one logs into a network and the network used by the coffee shop is not the same as that of my ISP. How is that so? Doesn't a DHCP server assign an address dynamically when I log in and then remove it from circulation when I log of ?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Perhaps try again, but before doing so clear your cache.

Likes WWGD
This could happen if you are using a proxy browser.

Likes WWGD
Or even try a DNS flush. Instructions can be found doing a quick google.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Hi All,
I am just curious. I am in a coffee shop using the internet. My (external) IP address in this coffee shop ( given by whatismyip.com) is the same as the IP address assigned to me at home by my ISP. I thought IP addresses are assigned dynamically when one logs into a network and the network used by the coffee shop is not the same as that of my ISP. How is that so? Doesn't a DHCP server assign an address dynamically when I log in and then remove it from circulation when I log of ?
Thanks.

Specific answer to your questions:
IP addresses can be set static, but if you had set your IP address static, you'd probably know. And, if you'd set it static, you wouldn't be able to connect at the coffee shop. Your IP address is most likely assigned via DHCP. Those are assigned when requested by your device, and made available again when your device is no longer connected. As a general rule, no two networks should hand out the same IP address. There is however, an exception.

Most small private networks use a non-routable subnet starting with 192.168.x.x for connected devices. You didn't mention what your IP address was, but I would be willing to bet its 192.168.x.x - if that is the case, then it's entirely possible that you got the same address at home and at the coffee shop - but because the address is non-routable, only the network you are communicating with can route to you. In that case, it is perfectly reasonable (although maybe lucky) that you got the same address at home and at the coffee shop.

If the IP address you have isn't 192.168.x.x then you most likely have a Proxy configured (Fervent Freyja's answer) or a VPN configured. In both these cases, the IP address you are seeing was handed out by a different source than your home or coffee shop, and the lease might persist longer.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu, MikeeMiracle, jedishrfu and 1 other person
StevieTNZ said:
Perhaps try again, but before doing so clear your cache.
Thank you, this has worked a few times. In case anyone else using Windows has trouble accessing the web, go to the
CMD line and type :
ipconfig/flushdns

Wow, you had to clear your DNS cache after more than 3 years?!

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50
pbuk said:
Wow, you had to clear your DNS cache after more than 3 years?!
No, just did a search and ended up in this post.

WWGD said:
Thank you, this has worked a few times. In case anyone else using Windows has trouble accessing the web, go to the
CMD line and type :
ipconfig/flushdns
Don't forget to put a space before the '/', else it won't work!

Likes WWGD and OCR

1. What is an IP address?

An IP address is a unique numerical identifier assigned to each device connected to a computer network. It allows devices to communicate with one another over the internet.

2. How are IP addresses assigned?

IP addresses are assigned by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), which delegates blocks of IP addresses to regional internet registries. These regional registries then allocate smaller blocks of IP addresses to internet service providers, who in turn assign them to individual devices.

3. What is the difference between IPv4 and IPv6 addresses?

IPv4 addresses are 32-bit numbers, allowing for approximately 4.3 billion unique addresses. IPv6 addresses are 128-bit numbers, allowing for trillions of unique addresses. This was necessary due to the rapid growth of internet-connected devices.

4. Can I change my IP address?

Yes, an IP address can be changed by obtaining a new address from your internet service provider or by using a virtual private network (VPN).

5. How is an IP address used for network security?

IP addresses are used for network security by allowing network administrators to track and monitor network activity, block unauthorized access, and identify potential threats or vulnerabilities.