IR Laser makes glowing spot on radiometer vane

• I
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Laser
In summary, the explanation given at the end of the video is that the phenomenon is due to a heating effect and that conduction is not sufficient to prevent it.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Is the explanation at the end of the video correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the explanation ? maybe give a timestamp. First things that come to mind are either a) gets hot, glows red, or b) frequency upshift.

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
@Swamp Thing , it's not like you are new here. "Here's a video, 'splain it to me" is a bad thread start. You've been here long enough to know what you get out of PF is proportional to what you put into PF.

Likes nasu
Vanadium 50 said:
@Swamp Thing , it's not like you are new here. "Here's a video, 'splain it to me" is a bad thread start. You've been here long enough to know what you get out of PF is proportional to what you put into PF.
Sorry, yes the question should have included more detail...

At 03:15 he points the laser at his palm, apparently without feeling the least bit of discomfort. Yet the laser is able to produce a white-hot incandescent spot on the metal.

Moreover, I would have thought that the metal would have a bit of thermal time constant when cooling down, at least enough to produce a short trail as the spot moves around over it (likely going through white, orange and red while cooling).This does not seem to be the case.

Finally, he is saying that convection can pretty much kill the phenomenon but conduction and radiation don't matter enough to prevent it.

These points led me to wonder if a non-thermal explanation should be considered, such as the one he mentions earlier.

Last edited:
Conduction requires cross-section ; those vanes look pretty thin. I'm not sure why "radiation doesn't matter" : where does he think the glow is coming from ?

hmmm27 said:
Conduction requires cross-section ; those vanes look pretty thin. I'm not sure why "radiation doesn't matter" : where does he think the glow is coming from ?
He says the laser is heating the metal to incandescence. He also says that convection is the reason that it doesn't work in air.

The "radiation doesn't matter" is not something that he actually says, but it follows if we accept the hypothesis that it is a heating effect. If radiation mattered, then it wouldn't have glowed even in vacuum.

If the thinness of the vanes is helping to eliminate conduction cooling, then it should also slow down the cooling process when the laser spot moves away from a given position, and we should then see a cooling trail as the spot moves around. But we don't see a trail.

Swamp Thing said:
If radiation mattered, then it wouldn't have glowed even in vacuum.
Unless you've perfect conduction, it's going to glow. Whether that glow extends far enough into the visible spectrum to see is another thing.

If we can ignore conduction and make enough other gross simplifications and assumptions to make a few eyes twitch here and there, we can stick the output power and dot size of the laser pretty much directly into the Stefan Boltzmann law to get the temperature.
$$T=\left( \frac P{A\sigma}\right)^{\frac14}$$
dimensions:
##T## Kelvin
##P## Watts (= Joules per second)
##A## square meters
##\sigma## Stefan-Boltzmann Constant :
##5.670374419...\times10^{−8} W⋅m^{−2}K^{−4}##

Likes Swamp Thing
hmmm27 said:
If we can ignore conduction and make enough other gross simplifications and assumptions to make a few eyes twitch here and there, we can stick the output power and dot size of the laser pretty much directly into the Stefan Boltzmann law to get the temperature.
I think P needs to be the power absorbed and so will be incident power minus reflected power.

tech99 said:
I think P needs to be the power absorbed and so will be incident power minus reflected power.
Oh, definitely, but that would require knowing the composition of the leaf (which I imagine is carbon-deposited aluminum, but really have no clue).

1. What is an IR laser?

An IR laser is a type of laser that emits infrared light, which is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It is often used in scientific research, medical procedures, and military applications.

2. How does an IR laser make a glowing spot on a radiometer vane?

When an IR laser beam hits the surface of a radiometer vane, it causes the vane to heat up. This heating causes the air molecules around the vane to move faster, which creates a glowing spot due to the release of thermal energy.

3. What is a radiometer vane?

A radiometer vane is a device used to measure the intensity of electromagnetic radiation, such as infrared light. It consists of a set of vanes that are suspended in a vacuum and are free to rotate. When exposed to radiation, the vanes rotate due to the pressure of the radiation on their surfaces.

4. Why is it important to use an IR laser for this experiment?

An IR laser is used for this experiment because it emits a specific wavelength of light that is known to cause the radiometer vane to rotate. This allows for accurate and consistent measurements to be taken.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using an IR laser for this experiment?

Yes, it is important to wear protective eyewear when working with an IR laser to avoid potential eye damage. It is also important to follow proper handling and usage procedures to prevent any accidents or injuries.