Is 2010 the beginning of stable period for amplifiers?

Ephant
I noticed some equipments amplifiers were designed in 2010 and they are still using the same components or chips now. Whereas those made in year 2000 are already obsolete by the 2010s. Does it mean there is not much improvement in amplifier, op-amps or instrumentation amps between 2010 and 2024 (now)? whereas there is drastic difference between 2000 and 2010?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you give some explicit examples? That would help a lot.

The two biggest improvements recently that I can think of are (1) CMOS rail-to-rail opamps, and (2) Innovative packaging options for power ICs to be able to sink away heat and still have a very small package size.

I don't know what years the rail-to-rail opamps started to be more mainstream (you can look that up), but the innovative power IC packaging has been going on a lot the last 5-10 years or so, with so much emphasis on miniaturization for cell phones, smart watches, etc. One IC company that I worked for recently has a whole division dedicated to inventing and implementing such packaging in very high volumes for the consumer market.

I recall using rail to rail op amps in the mid to late 90s. Never had much use for them until then. Has there been a recent surge in their numbers? Like last 3 to 5 years?

Averagesupernova said:
I recall using rail to rail op amps in the mid to late 90s. Never had much use for them until then. Has there been a recent surge in their numbers? Like last 3 to 5 years?
I seem to remember that one side of those opamps achieved rail-to-rail operation before the other side, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe rail-to-rail inputs but not yet rail-to-rail output? But I think the latest version achieve it on both sides. Guess I need to check some datasheets...

There are many factors that lead to equilibrium, punctuated by stepwise refinement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium_in_social_theory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom–up_and_top–down_design
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_product_development

The driving force for change, is competition for market share, between the biggest industrial manufacturers. Simply put, in times of peace, capitalist nations drive the industry, communist nations stagnate, and so lag behind.

An example. Early CMOS op-amps had low-power, with highly variable offset voltages. Auto-zero techniques appeared first with external capacitors, and then became invisible to the user as the capacitors became internal, except for the very highest accuracy models.

Technology advances, mostly in cost of production, and higher performance demands caused a proliferation of amplifiers around this time. There's always progress on the margins. There's always a better version, assuming someone needs it. But, IMO, new, stand alone, Si based amplifier ICs are aimed at niche markets now.

The op amps I recall using is LMC660. Texas instruments part. Swings to within about .1 volts of the supply rails.
-
One thing is for sure. A person can find op amps out there that have some truly amazing specs. But not every spec at the same time, and certainly not cheap. A rail to rail op amp with high slew rate and able to have + and - 15 volt supplies was difficult to find and if it did exist at all it was expensive. I haven't looked for a few years, things are always improving.

Likes berkeman

1. What does it mean that 2010 is the beginning of a stable period for amplifiers?

In the context of amplifier technology, saying that 2010 marks the beginning of a stable period implies that the advancements in amplifier design, efficiency, and performance had reached a point of significant maturity and reliability by that year. This suggests that post-2010, the improvements in amplifier technology may have become more incremental rather than revolutionary, leading to a period of stability in terms of new breakthroughs and major changes in the basic technology and design principles.

2. How did amplifier technology evolve up to 2010?

Prior to 2010, amplifier technology saw substantial advancements, particularly in reducing size, increasing power efficiency, and improving sound quality. Developments in solid-state technology, the introduction of digital amplification, and improvements in circuit design contributed to these enhancements. By 2010, these technologies had been refined to a point where they were widely adopted and highly reliable, setting a platform for the stable period of further incremental improvements.

3. What are the key features of amplifiers developed after 2010?

After 2010, amplifiers continued to improve, mainly focusing on enhancing existing features rather than introducing new ones. Key features included better power efficiency, improved thermal management, more precise sound control, and integration with digital and wireless technologies. There was also a greater emphasis on environmental sustainability, leading to the development of amplifiers that use less energy and are made from more sustainable materials.

4. Are there any significant innovations in amplifier technology after 2010?

While the period after 2010 is considered stable, it did not preclude innovations. Significant innovations include the integration of smart technology, allowing for network connectivity and control over IoT platforms, advancements in Class-D amplifiers that offer better audio performance and efficiency, and the adaptation of amplifiers for new forms of media and entertainment systems, enhancing the user experience in home and professional settings.

5. How has the stability in amplifier technology impacted the consumer audio market?

The stability in amplifier technology has allowed manufacturers to focus on refining user experience and reducing costs, leading to high-quality audio equipment becoming more accessible to a broader audience. Consumers benefit from the reliability and longevity of products, while manufacturers can invest more in aesthetic design and user-friendly interfaces, which are significant selling points in the competitive consumer audio market.