Is a graphics calculator necessary anymore?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a graphics calculator, specifically for an Electrical Engineering degree. The speaker is debating whether to purchase a new TI calculator for $200 or settle for a simpler Casio model, as they already have access to Matlab. They also mention the possibility of using other portable devices or emulators for the TI calculator. Ultimately, the speaker decides to stick with the Casio model.
eeuler
My Texas Intrusments graphics calculator recently had some liquid spilt over it and therefore doesn't work anymore. I'm now wondering whether it's worth spending some $200 for a new graphics calculator or whether I should just settle for a simple Casio FX100AU? I'm in an Electrical Engineering degree, 3 semesters to go til I finish so I'm not sure whether it's worth buying one? I mean, I have Matlab and can use that if I need to plot anything, but would I need a graphics calculator in the industry when I get a job? But again wouldn't Matlab be enough?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can run octave on a tablet and there are scientific calculator apps a-plenty.
Certainly other portable devices may take over in the field from the graphics calculator and in many places, already have.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some workplaces have a special workflow built around a particular product and may even expect employees to pay for their own. The only other place you may get tripped up is if any of your courses actually test your aptitude with the TI machine.

Having a $30 scientific calculator may come in handy occasionally, because it's easy to carry them around and you'd be likely to actually have them with you if needed.

But an expensive one? No. The only reason to have one is taking courses in which more powerful devices (e.g., anything with an x86 processor) are not allowed.

Yeah I figured as much; that it wasn't necessary. I kinda miss my TI now that it's gone though..was 'fun' watching it plot stuff. I'm going to stick with a Casio FX100AU anyhow.

There is a good TI-89 emulator for Android. Since I have my phone everywhere...

1. Is a graphics calculator still relevant in today's technological world?

Yes, a graphics calculator still has its uses in various fields such as engineering, mathematics, and statistics. While smartphones and computers have built-in calculators, they do not have the same capabilities as a graphics calculator.

2. Can't I just use a regular calculator or my phone instead of investing in a graphics calculator?

A graphics calculator offers more advanced features and functions than a regular calculator. It can handle complex equations, graphing, and statistical analysis that may not be available on a regular calculator or phone.

3. Are graphics calculators necessary for students in high school or college?

It depends on the course and subject. Some courses, like calculus or physics, may require the use of a graphics calculator for graphing and solving equations. It is best to check with your professor or teacher to see if a graphics calculator is necessary for your specific course.

4. Can I use a graphics calculator on standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT?

It depends on the testing guidelines. Some standardized tests allow the use of a graphics calculator, while others do not. It is important to check the guidelines before bringing a graphics calculator to a test.

5. Do graphics calculators have a learning curve and require training to use?

Yes, graphics calculators have a learning curve and may require some training to fully utilize all of its features. However, many manufacturers provide tutorials and resources to help users learn how to use the calculator effectively.