Calculator with physics programs?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a graphing calculator that can solve physics equations and whether CAS (Computer Algebra System) is necessary for this task. The person is considering the Casio 9860GII, Casio CG10, TI-nspire CX (/CX CAS) and is unsure if these calculators have the capability to solve physics problems. They mention that there are third-party applications available for the TI-84 Plus that can potentially solve these equations. The person also asks for clarification on the necessity of CAS and whether a non-CAS calculator can solve equations as long as numerical values are defined. They mention that the TI-84 Plus has downloadable physics applications available.
OJFord
Hi, I'm looking at a few models but I'm having a hard job seeing if any/all of them have a sort of Physics equation solver.

For example, laws of motion, a calculator that could tell me for a set of given values what the value of s is when t=2.

Or, say, for a given velocity curve - show the acceleration.

I'm considering the Casio 9860GII, Casio CG10, TI-nspire CX (/CX CAS).

It seems that there are third-party applications for the TI that would possibly do what I'm after - can't find anything like that for the Casios though?!

I've never had a graphing calculator before so I don't know if this is a stupid question, of course they all solve physics problems as well.

Thanks in advance,

PS:
One other question, how necessary is CAS? I don't know whether I need it or not really, does non-CAS still solve to the same level as my Casio 991ES? ie can solve as long as there are numbers defined, but not in terms of a, b, and c?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is a "Calculator with physics programs"?

A calculator with physics programs is a scientific calculator that has pre-programmed functions and formulas specifically for solving physics equations and problems. It can perform calculations for various branches of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. How is a "Calculator with physics programs" different from a regular calculator?

A "Calculator with physics programs" has specialized functions and formulas that are not typically found in a regular calculator. It allows for more complex calculations and can solve specific physics problems, making it a useful tool for scientists and students in the field of physics.

3. Can I use a "Calculator with physics programs" for other subjects besides physics?

Yes, you can use a "Calculator with physics programs" for other subjects, such as chemistry and engineering. Many of the formulas and functions used in these subjects are also applicable in physics, so the calculator can still be useful for solving equations and problems.

4. Is a "Calculator with physics programs" allowed in exams and tests?

It depends on the rules set by the exam or test administrator. Some may allow the use of a "Calculator with physics programs" while others may restrict the use of any calculator at all. It is always best to check with the administrator beforehand to avoid any issues during the exam or test.

5. Can I create my own physics programs on a "Calculator with physics programs"?

It depends on the specific calculator and its capabilities. Some calculators may allow for programming and customization, while others may not have this feature. It is best to consult the user manual or do some research on the specific calculator to determine if it has this capability.