Why 4 pins for the speaker connection on motherboards?

In summary, the typical speaker connection on computer motherboards has 4 pins and the typical speaker has a 4 slot female connector with only two wires leading to the speaker. This is due to the "key" pin and ground pin which prevent the connector from being connected in reverse polarity to active speakers. However, this feature is not necessary for passive speakers and is therefore not used in the typical setup.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
For as long as I can remember, the typical speaker connection on computer motherboards has 4 pins and the typical speaker has a 4 slot female connector with only two wires leading to the speaker. Is a there a technical or historical reason for the 4 pin connector?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
For as long as I can remember, the typical speaker connection on computer motherboards has 4 pins and the typical speaker has a 4 slot female connector with only two wires leading to the speaker. Is a there a technical or historical reason for the 4 pin connector?

do they ?

All my computer (over many years) speaker/headphone connector is 3 contact ... ie... stereo ... Left, Right, Common

maybe a pic of what you are referring to may help clarify ? :smile:

51Xmj4bJE-L._SY355_.jpg

Attachments

• 51Xmj4bJE-L._SY355_.jpg
    51Xmj4bJE-L._SY355_.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,909
Likes Asymptotic and Stephen Tashi
Inner lines in original PC 4-pin speaker connector are the "key" pin and ground pin, preventing connector from been connected in reverse polarity to active (amplifier-containing) speakers. With the typical passive (symmetric) speakers it is a useless feature, therefore inner lines are not used in the picture you shown.

Likes Stephen Tashi and Asymptotic

1. Why are there 4 pins for speaker connection on motherboards?

The 4 pins on a speaker connection on motherboards are used for the audio output of the computer. These pins are divided into two pairs: one for the left audio channel and one for the right audio channel. This allows for stereo sound output from the computer.

2. Can I use a speaker with only 2 pins on a motherboard with 4 pins for speaker connection?

No, you cannot use a speaker with only 2 pins on a motherboard with 4 pins for speaker connection. The 4 pins are necessary for the left and right audio channels, and without them, the speaker will not be able to produce stereo sound.

3. Why do some motherboards have more than 4 pins for speaker connection?

Some motherboards may have more than 4 pins for speaker connection because they support additional audio channels, such as 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. These extra pins are used to connect additional speakers for a more immersive audio experience.

4. Can I use a speaker with a 3.5mm audio jack on a motherboard with 4 pins for speaker connection?

Yes, you can use a speaker with a 3.5mm audio jack on a motherboard with 4 pins for speaker connection. Most motherboards come with a 3.5mm audio jack adapter that can be used to connect the speaker to the 4-pin connection on the motherboard.

5. What happens if I connect the speaker to the wrong pins on the motherboard?

If you connect the speaker to the wrong pins on the motherboard, it may not produce any sound or the sound may be distorted. It is important to refer to the motherboard manual to ensure that the speaker is connected to the correct pins for optimal audio output.