Is a Master's in Nuclear Engineering Abroad the Key to Securing a Job in the US?

• Thread starter Yrrepy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuke
In summary: Nuclear engineering jobs are not dead in Canada, but they are certainly not as plentiful as they used to be.
Yrrepy
Hey, I was just looking for people's feedback.

I've completed a Bachelors in Engineering Physics (Canada) and a Masters in Subatomic Physics (France -research oriented, was originally leaning towards particle physics research not anymore).

Needless to say theyres basically no nuclear jobs to look for in Canada as the Feds have put them on the chopping board.

So, I've been applying abroad for awhile and basically getting no responses from american nuclear companies (I took a strong nuclear component in my Eng degree: reactors, monte carlo etc). I've had a few interviews with areva france, but ultimately they reject me as I have no direct nuclear experience. I am fully fluent in French. I'm guessing that I'm not getting the american ones as they prefer american citizens.

So, I'm now looking at Nuclear Eng Master's abroad, I've got my eyes on a specific one in France (INSTN) but I also keep thinking that maybe an American one would be good. It is my home continent and maybe I would eventaully tire of beaing abroad (I don't really consider Canada to America as being abroad). And nuclear looks like it's finally back on the upswing in the States.

I very much like the French culture and being surrounded by other cultures. I feel I should do this Master's in the country I intend to work in. I've no intention of doing a PhD. I see myself working for someone like westinghouse or areva or ge in reactor core design.

Any thoughts?

If I did a Master's in the states would I still face major barriers by my lacking citizenship?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Toshiba/Westinghouse, AREVA-US and GEH/GNF are essentially it in the US.

Of course, one could look into CEA or EdF if one remains in France, or GDF-Suez (Tractabel) in Belgium.

Studsvik Scandpower would be another possibility if one is interested in reactor physics. Studsvik is the main independent in core montoring and analysis.

One's citizenship should not be a problem.

I'm not sure that nuclear engineering jobs are dead in Canada, although the future of AECL is uncertain. You might consider applying to one of the regulators instead, especially since you are bilingual.

Nay, I've been looking consistently at the CNSC (the Canadian regulator). They never have any entry level jobs. And you having bilingualism should be a huge boon for that.

I understand your concerns and the current state of the nuclear industry in both Canada and the US. In my opinion, obtaining a Master's in Nuclear Engineering abroad may not necessarily be the key to securing a job in the US. While having a degree from a reputable international institution may be beneficial, it ultimately depends on the specific requirements and preferences of the companies you are applying to.

In terms of your lack of direct nuclear experience, I would recommend gaining some practical experience through internships or research projects in the nuclear industry. This will not only enhance your skills and knowledge but also make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities.

Additionally, it is important to note that citizenship may be a barrier for certain positions in the US nuclear industry, as some companies may prioritize hiring American citizens for security reasons. However, this should not discourage you from pursuing your career goals. There are still opportunities for international applicants in the US nuclear industry, and having a strong educational background and relevant experience can make you a valuable asset to any company.

Ultimately, my advice would be to carefully consider your career goals and choose a Master's program that aligns with them, whether it is in the US or abroad. Keep gaining experience and networking within the nuclear industry, and continue to apply for positions that interest you. With determination and perseverance, you can overcome any barriers and secure a job in the US nuclear industry.

1. What is the difference between nuclear engineering in France and America?

The main difference between nuclear engineering in France and America is the type of nuclear reactors used. France primarily uses pressurized water reactors (PWRs) while America uses a mix of PWRs and boiling water reactors (BWRs). Additionally, France has a more centralized nuclear program with a majority of the reactors owned and operated by a single company, while America has a more decentralized approach with multiple companies owning and operating reactors.

2. Is there a difference in safety standards for nuclear power plants between France and America?

Both France and America have strict safety standards for nuclear power plants. However, France has had fewer incidents and accidents compared to America, which can be partly attributed to their standardized design and centralized control of nuclear reactors.

3. How does the public perception of nuclear energy differ between France and America?

In France, nuclear energy is widely accepted and supported by the public, with over 70% of the population in favor of nuclear power. In America, public opinion is more divided with concerns about safety and waste disposal leading to some opposition to nuclear energy.

4. Are there differences in the use of nuclear energy for electricity production between France and America?

France relies heavily on nuclear energy for electricity production, with over 70% of their electricity coming from nuclear power. In America, nuclear energy accounts for about 20% of electricity production and is mainly used in regions with high energy demands.

5. How do France and America handle nuclear waste disposal?

France and America have different approaches to nuclear waste disposal. France reprocesses their spent nuclear fuel to extract usable materials and then stores the remaining waste in deep geological repositories. America, on the other hand, currently stores their nuclear waste on-site at nuclear power plants, with plans to eventually store it in a deep geological repository.