Is a One-Piece Injection-Molded Plastic Lock Possible?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a mechanical design for a lock system that can be made entirely from injection-moulded plastic. The person suggests looking at snaplatch mechanisms and possibly using the mechanism used in ballpoint pens. They also mention finding a push latch at a local hardware store to take apart and study.
DustyLemon
TL;DR Summary
Trying to design a mechanical locking system using all the same material
Hi there,

I've been trying to think up a mechanical design with limited success. Before I divert more time to this I thought I'd see if anyone knows if something like this already exists, or is commonly utilized. I'm basically trying to come up with a lock system whereby it is pushed down to shut, and then requires a further push-down and pull up to unlock it. The caveat is that it needs to be made entirely from injection-moulded plastic i.e. one or two parts of the same material.

I've tried looking at different snaplatch mechanisms but the ideas I come up with seem too complicated and fragile for general use.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe look at the way ballpoint pens are extended and retracted with a single button.

Likes berkeman, sysprog and anorlunda
My medicine cabinet has a push latch - push to close, push again to open:
Push Latch.jpg

Try your local hardware store. These latches are cheap enough that you could buy one just to take it apart to find how it works.

Likes Spinnor and Keith_McClary

1. Can a one-piece injection-molded plastic lock be as strong as a traditional metal lock?

Yes, it is possible for a one-piece injection-molded plastic lock to be just as strong as a traditional metal lock. The strength of a lock depends on the design and material used, not just the type of manufacturing process.

2. What materials are commonly used to make a one-piece injection-molded plastic lock?

Some common materials used for one-piece injection-molded plastic locks include ABS, polycarbonate, and nylon. These materials are known for their strength, durability, and ability to withstand pressure and force.

3. Are there any limitations to the size or shape of a one-piece injection-molded plastic lock?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the capabilities of the injection-molding machine and the complexity of the lock design. However, with advancements in technology, it is becoming possible to create more intricate and larger one-piece plastic locks.

4. How does the cost of a one-piece injection-molded plastic lock compare to a traditional metal lock?

In general, a one-piece injection-molded plastic lock may be more cost-effective than a traditional metal lock. This is because the manufacturing process is faster and requires less labor and materials. However, the cost may vary depending on the specific design and material used.

5. Is a one-piece injection-molded plastic lock environmentally friendly?

Yes, a one-piece injection-molded plastic lock can be considered more environmentally friendly compared to a traditional metal lock. This is because the injection-molding process produces less waste and uses less energy. Additionally, plastic can be recycled and reused, making it a more sustainable option.