Is a Subway footlong worth the money?

• Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary: Personally I alternate, but I have to say most of what I buy at the market is fresh fruit, which I eat a lot of, because I love it, and also think it off sets the junk stuff I also eat.
kolleamm
I'm a college student, and lately I've been buying nothing but Subway footlongs at my school for around $7 - $8 per day.

Is this really cost efficient for the amount of calories/nutrients I get?

If not then what could I possibly cook or buy to save money? I would like to continue eating healthy though, so eating ramen noodles might not be a good idea, since I need protein etc...

Thanks in advance.

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be more cost effective to go to the market, buy your supplies and make your own meals. There is no easy fast and cheap method of eating healthy and well but going to the market is a definite step in the right direction.

Likes Ryan_m_b, Sophia, davenn and 3 others
Great thanks! I also think that's a good idea.

jedishrfu said:
It would be more cost effective to go to the market, buy your supplies and make your own meals. There is no easy fast and cheap method of eating healthy and well but going to the market is a definite step in the right direction.
I'm not sure this is true because places like Subway buy their supplies in bulk at much cheaper prices than a consumer can get them at the market. After Subway adds their markup, it could well be that the consumer is paying pretty much the same price for the same amount of "calories and nutrients."

I do not know this for a fact, but if a person kept close track of what they were spending to eat home made Subway type meals, they could determine if it was true.

Likes EnumaElish and OmCheeto
Subway is bottom feeder sandwiches. There are so many better sub options. Really shocked how many Subways there are and how many people eat there.

Likes EnumaElish and Evo
kolleamm said:
I'm a college student, and lately I've been buying nothing but Subway footlongs at my school for around $7 - $8 per day.

If not then what could I possibly cook or buy to save money? I would like to continue eating healthy though, so eating ramen noodles might not be a good idea, since I need protein etc...

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a Walmart near you? They have fantastic sub sandwiches 2-3 times larger than Subway (I hate Subway, they are so stingy) for around $5. If not try Jimmy John's, twice the amount of meat and cheese than Subway. and they will pile on the extra lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers for free, enough to make a side salad, order the extra free vinaigrette if you're going to make a salad.

Likes EnumaElish and Greg Bernhardt
Evo said:
Jimmy John's
For a national chain, JJ's is pretty good. One thing I don't get about Subway is how terrible their bread is. That is what makes a great sub. Subway bread is nearly almost always dry. If you want it toasted then it's basically a huge cracker. Yuck.

Likes davenn, EnumaElish and Evo
Greg Bernhardt said:
One thing I don't get about Subway is how terrible their bread is.
It's a technological miracle: they have figured out how to incorporate waste sawdust so that it's just below the threshold of perception. All you're left with is the feeling something is not right.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
zoobyshoe said:
I'm not sure this is true because places like Subway buy their supplies in bulk at much cheaper prices than a consumer can get them at the market. After Subway adds their markup, it could well be that the consumer is paying pretty much the same price for the same amount of "calories and nutrients."

I do not know this for a fact, but if a person kept close track of what they were spending to eat home made Subway type meals, they could determine if it was true.
As long as you don't go to places with waiters where you must leave a tip padding the total by some 15%, I agree, it seems like a close call. Electricity at industrial rates, food bought in bulk, a method that shortens production, etc.. And what about food at home that goes bad?

Likes kolleamm
The cost of having a worker there make the sandwich for you might still make it more expensive, although I'm still not sure.

Likes EnumaElish
WWGD said:
As long as you don't go to places with waiters where you must leave a tip padding the total by some 15%, I agree, it seems like a close call. Electricity at industrial rates, food bought in bulk, a method that shortens production, etc.. And what about food at home that goes bad?
Right.

Personally I alternate, but I have to say most of what I buy at the market is fresh fruit, which I eat a lot of, because I love it, and also think it off sets the junk stuff I also eat.

Likes collinsmark
I have to admit that I like Subway, but find them a bit pricey for what they deliver. If I were still a student I would certainly follow the advice from post #2. Their cookies are quite delicious, but their coffee is way too weak, as usual. Well, at least one does not have to become intimate with the person behind the counter in order to obtain a cup.

Likes EnumaElish and kolleamm
Evo said:
(I hate Subway, they are so stingy)
Think of it as portion control, if you're trying to lose weight. :biggrin:

I like Subway's iced tea and their cookies. I like that they'd let you substitute apple slices for chips in a combo. I find their bread and ingredients edible but low quality.

I still think nothing can beat a bag of rice, oats, and chicken breast cost wise.

Likes Sophia
kolleamm said:
I still think nothing can beat a bag of rice, oats, and chicken breast cost wise.
That's fine if you are not the worst cook in the world, as I am.

Greg Bernhardt said:
don't get about Subway is how terrible their bread is. That is what makes a great sub. Subway bread is nearly almost always dry.
"Uniformity" of franchises for "Subway" and other "small" chains compared to McD's is non-existent --- (McD's is uniformly marginal --- except for the fries) --- you've got to develop a "throw away test meal" for each when moving from one area to another, or even between neighborhoods.

zoobyshoe said:
That's fine if you are not the worst cook in the world, as I am.
Trust me I am the worst cook in the world, the one who is too lazy to cook! :D

My favorite was Quiznos hot sandwiches.

You could combine resources with other students and buy larger portions for cheaper prices so you can get the variety you want. You could even share recipes for meals with other students and even make a game of it.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
kolleamm said:
Exactly. This is what I recommend, too. Learn to cook simple meals. They will probably cost you less then subway. It's not good for you to eat the same thing every day.
I really don't know what the prices in the US are, but for 8€, you can definitely buy rice or potatoes, chicken or pork meat and veggies for a decent meal.
There are tons of recipes for pasta that are more nutritious then ramen and simple and cheap to prepare.
If you don't want to cook, you can have a bun with yoghurt, kefír or cottage cheese. Scrambled eggs. Or at least buy various kinds of frozen food, even when it's not very nutritious or tasty, but at least you will get some variety.

kolleamm said:
Trust me I am the worst cook in the world, the one who is too lazy to cook! :D
When I was a student living away from home, I put all washed green peas, carrots , sliced bamboo shoot, minced garlic, a little salt or other seasoning ingredients into the washed rice in a rice cooker, then cooked it. I also boiled some broccoli, fried then sliced an egg and bought some ready made salmon eggs then served all in one dish with some sweet soy sauce.

Likes Evo and EnumaElish
Sophia said:
Exactly. This is what I recommend, too. Learn to cook simple meals. They will probably cost you less then subway. It's not good for you to eat the same thing every day.

I don't know prices at subway over here but I'm positive homecooking is waayyyyyyyyy cheaper, my guess would be a footlong for €6.
I reckon 4 homemade footlongs with ham, cheese and veggies cost around €6 + leftover ham, cheese and veggies making for at least another salad.

Homemade is often much cheaper and depending on what you make just as fast.
My staple is to stir-fry vegetables with some chicken or whatever you like and rice or noodles.
Pasta is great as well (homemade sauce is the best!).

One extremely simple meal I enjoy is greek pasta with chicken and tarragon sauce.
When your water for the pasta is boiling start frying chicken (salt + pepper).
When the chicken is browned, add thick cream to the pan and reduce it to whatever thickness you like.
Near the end add dried tarragon to taste (a lot is great :D) and taste whether it needs additional salt/pepper.

This should be ready in ~20 minutes (the time it takes to boil the pasta) and it won't get much easier.
You could add boiled broccoli or cauliflower which goes great with it (same time extra pot :D).

Overall I used to prepare meals for at most €4/serving when I lived in a dorm room. Often costing less than €1 while very balanced.

Likes Evo, EnumaElish and Sophia
Some other tricks:
1)Cereal: to help fill you up. Throw in some yogurt (buy in bulk), berries for health.

2) Instant rice (wont go bad, already cooked, just need to microwave --less labor) a whole cooked chicken from the supermarket, which can last up to three days and around 3 meals. You can then throw in a can of beans, some tuna, or some eggs (before microwaving the rice, so it becomes cooked there).

Likes kolleamm
You can buy a whole cooked chicken, Caesar salad and tortilla wraps and make chicken Caesar salad wraps for relatively cheap here. It's about $14-15, but it's quick, tasty, and you get about 4 or 5 wraps. Good for dinner and lunch the next day.

Likes Evo and Pepper Mint
No college catering services any more ? We had an excellent assortment of different eating facilities on campus .

Top class one was The Refectory which offered a range of quite good quality full meals and a panoramic view of the Mumbles Bay .

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
Another tip I heard the other day. Cooking in Winter may help save on heating, the opposite for Summer. I will also drop a vaguely related tip: showering at night in Winter so that pores close up while you sleep . Closed pores will reduce exposure to cold. Showering in the morning in Summer will give you open pores when you go out, so your body can better deal with the heat by sweating it out.

EDIT: For a bit of the high/sweet life: you can buy a large pastry , preferably the dry type ( no milk/cream ), since it stays fresh longer. Buy also instant coffee or tea bags. Then you can cut a piece of the pastry each day and take it with you, this way you do not have to cough up around $3 for a store-bought one. You can eat it with a cup of your instant tea/coffee.

Last edited:
Likes Pepper Mint
kolleamm said:

Thanks in advance.

At subway: the food is fresh, you don't have to make an extra trip, and it's made for you. The nuisance may be that you wait 5 min/day in line. Perhaps you can argue that food poisoning is more of a risk at subway. You could also get tired of the food. Looking at things outside of costs for homemade, you have to physically go and shop, take 20-40 minutes out of your day to shop, risk an accident while driving,and spend time preparing your meal while creating more dishes to be washed. Also, you may have to pack your food for the day before going to school. However, you do have more of a range of food by buying your own and cooking.

For costs at subway, let's assume you buy 1 sandwich per day from subway (5 days a week). That's $35-$40/week. $140-$180/month. For homemade costs 5 days a week (1 meal/day): In order to have fresh food, you will have to buy lettuce, tomatoes, bread, and meats, etc each week. Let's say $25/wk & $100/month for those items. After initially buying things that you only need to buy once a month like mayo, mustard, etc, you will spend roughly $10/month for 1 trip/month items. You will also use gas:let's assume that trip costs $2.00 in gas. That's $8/month. You also have to cook your food and clean dishes let's assume power bill is $6/month more.

TOTAL costs for subway (5 meals/wk 20 meals/month): $35-$40/wk = $140-180/month
TOTAL costs for homemade meals to replace subway meals (5 meals/wk 20 meals/month): $124/month
CONVENIENCE FACTOR subway = a lot better than homemade meals

Conclusion: Subway costs more and may get old, but is way less of a nuisance and the food is better (my opinion)
Solutions: In order to make grocery shopping less costly, buy all 15-21 meals per week at the grocery store and spend time finding coupons. You would also have an easier time buying in bulk and not wasting food bought at the store which would lower amount needed/month and save money. This would also create more time spent preparing and planning you shopping and cooking.

This was actually fun, good question. Hope this helps. It helped me at least!

Likes kolleamm and EnumaElish
Seth1533 said:
At subway: the food is fresh, you don't have to make an extra trip, and it's made for you. The nuisance may be that you wait 5 min/day in line. Perhaps you can argue that food poisoning is more of a risk at subway. You could also get tired of the food. Looking at things outside of costs for homemade, you have to physically go and shop, take 20-40 minutes out of your day to shop, risk an accident while driving,and spend time preparing your meal while creating more dishes to be washed. Also, you may have to pack your food for the day before going to school. However, you do have more of a range of food by buying your own and cooking.

For costs at subway, let's assume you buy 1 sandwich per day from subway (5 days a week). That's $35-$40/week. $140-$180/month. For homemade costs 5 days a week (1 meal/day): In order to have fresh food, you will have to buy lettuce, tomatoes, bread, and meats, etc each week. Let's say $25/wk & $100/month for those items. After initially buying things that you only need to buy once a month like mayo, mustard, etc, you will spend roughly $10/month for 1 trip/month items. You will also use gas:let's assume that trip costs $2.00 in gas. That's $8/month. You also have to cook your food and clean dishes let's assume power bill is $6/month more.

TOTAL costs for subway (5 meals/wk 20 meals/month): $35-$40/wk = $140-180/month
TOTAL costs for homemade meals to replace subway meals (5 meals/wk 20 meals/month): $124/month
CONVENIENCE FACTOR subway = a lot better than homemade meals

Conclusion: Subway costs more and may get old, but is way less of a nuisance and the food is better (my opinion)
Solutions: In order to make grocery shopping less costly, buy all 15-21 meals per week at the grocery store and spend time finding coupons. You would also have an easier time buying in bulk and not wasting food bought at the store which would lower amount needed/month and save money. This would also create more time spent preparing and planning you shopping and cooking.

This was actually fun, good question. Hope this helps. It helped me at least!
That was a really good answer! You laid everything out very nicely, thank you so much!

Likes Seth1533
The food is definitely not fresh. Ask anyone who works there and go to a farmers market to see fresh. The meats are pumped full of chemicals.

Likes Sophia and Evo
Greg Bernhardt said:
The meats are pumped full of chemicals.
Do you think the chemicals are fresh, at least? :wideeyed:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Greg Bernhardt said:
The food is definitely not fresh. Ask anyone who works there and go to a farmers market to see fresh. The meats are pumped full of chemicals.
I had different perspective- I guess not clear. I'm from the south and there are farmers markets in each small town around me so I get your point. If I go to it and the store and buy everything I need to eat a sub sandwich that day, yes it will be fresh for the most part. What about the next day or week? Either my food is really old and tastes bad, I have to throw it away and waste it, or I go and buy more which isn't cost effective. The times I've had subway I don't think it was really that old. I liked the taste anyways.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Oh and the chemical part I'll skip over, but are animals given steriods? Like cattle, pig, and chicken?

WWGD said:
2) Instant rice (wont go bad, already cooked, just need to microwave --less labor) a whole cooked chicken from the supermarket, which can last up to three days and around 3 meals. You can then throw in a can of beans, some tuna, or some eggs (before microwaving the rice, so it becomes cooked there).

Unless one is Asian like me. Using instant rice is sufficient cause to get your Asian card revoked and your reputation ruined till the day you die. And even then, at your eulogy, they will whisper "He once used instant rice while he was alive" as they shake their heads.

Zz.

Likes vela, Sophia, davenn and 5 others