Is ABET accreditation really important?

• Schools
  • Thread starter KamenRiderTorbjorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary, Benedict College's engineering programs are not ABET accredited, which may be a red flag. It is recommended that someone looking to become an engineer get an accredited degree.
KamenRiderTorbjorn
I'm looking at a few schools to transfer to and one that interest me is Benedict college. I was doing some research online about the school and come to find out I haven't seen anything about the engineering programs being abet accredited. Is abet accreditation really important when it comes to engineering or it doesn't matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see that MIT's courses are ABET accredited. If a big-name school like that has it, it must be the thing to have. I would consider it a must because you want them to have some accreditation and that looks like the one to have. And if they aren't, why aren't they? It should be easy for them to get their program accredited. My worry is that they are lazy and haven't bothered.

Hmm. The ABET website lists Benedictine College as being ABET accredited for Mechanical Engineering only, whereas for example MIT has 18 accredited programs. Florida State University has 7 programs accredited: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.

The college I'm referring to is Benedict College in Columbia, SC. It seems like their engineering programs including their CS program isn't abet accredited and I was just wondering is that a red flag or not?

I would strongly suggest looking for accredited programs - they should also be much easier to find than non-accredited ones.

For some fields, such as civil engineering it is absolutely essential. It can also be very important for most other fields.

Even if you don't care about getting jobs that require an accredited degree, you should be concerned about the quality of the program if it isn't accredited.

One exception to the above might be computer science. Even some highly regarded schools that have fully accredited engineering programs do not have accredited cs degrees (stanford, ucsd, cornell, u washington). In that case, though (especially since you aren't looking at a program with such stature), you should look at what kinds of jobs the graduates get.

What other options are you considering?

Jason

Edit: for what it is worth, I am an engineer who has been in industry for almost 20 years. To my knowledge, I've never worked with someone that has an unaccredited engineering degree. I have worked with folks that earned physics and math degrees that essentially work as engineers, but they have been hired for work that does not require the breadth and depth of a particular engineering discipline. If you want to do engineering work, you really should get an accredited engineering degree. There are many many schools that offer them

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I'm plan on getting a degree in Computer Science to be a software engineer, but thinking about getting a degree in Mech Engineering as well. As said before though the college I'm referring to offers engineering degrees, but are unaccredited (the school isn't even listed on the abet list). I'll take your advice and look for a college that is accredited.

A degree from an ABET accredited school is required to get a professional engineering license in all states in the US.

Dr Transport said:
A degree from an ABET accredited school is required to get a professional engineering license in all states in the US.

False. Depending on the state some people with an AA degree can become PEs, but it takes longer.

Obviously for an undergraduate degree ABET is better but it's wrong to say it's needed in all states.

Likes CalcNerd
provide a list so when I have to hire an engineering firm from that state, I can bring in outside consultation to ensure that the work is correct.

Dr Transport said:
provide a list so when I have to hire an engineering firm from that state, I can bring in outside consultation to ensure that the work is correct.

I'm not going to do your research for you. I just felt like correcting false information.

Likes CalcNerd

1. What is ABET accreditation?

ABET accreditation is a voluntary, peer-review process that evaluates the quality and standards of educational programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology. It is recognized globally as the standard of excellence in these fields.

2. Why is ABET accreditation important?

ABET accreditation ensures that an educational program meets the standards set by the profession for which it prepares graduates. It also provides assurance to students, employers, and the public that the program meets certain quality standards and that graduates are well-prepared for their careers.

3. How does ABET accreditation benefit students?

ABET accreditation allows students to have confidence in the quality of their education and ensures that their program has been evaluated by experts in the field. It also allows for easier transfer of credits between accredited institutions and can increase job opportunities for graduates.

4. What are the requirements for ABET accreditation?

To become ABET accredited, an educational program must meet certain criteria set by the relevant profession, including curriculum, faculty qualifications, facilities, and student outcomes. The program must also undergo a thorough evaluation by ABET evaluators.

5. Is ABET accreditation necessary for all engineering and science programs?

No, ABET accreditation is not mandatory for all programs, but it is highly recommended for those seeking to provide high-quality education and produce graduates who are prepared for their careers. It is also often required for students seeking professional licensure in engineering or related fields.